PDA

View Full Version : Tales of Loar

F5G WIZ
Sep-08-2006, 4:36am
I find many of the stories behind these prized and rare instruments facinating. How they were found in the basements of old houses, or in the back of a closet or under grandpa's old bed after not being played for 70+ years. Or bought at a yard sale from someone who had no idea an old beat up "Uke" was actually a forgotten treasured piece of american musical history. If you have a good "real" story about Loar or any other Old mandolin I would love to read about it. Let us hear your "Tales of Loar"

danb
Sep-08-2006, 6:11am
73485 was found during an attic renovation

F5G WIZ
Sep-08-2006, 6:42am
Wow you really know how to spin a yarn!haha Any other details?

danb
Sep-08-2006, 7:01am
Well if memory serves correctly, the original owner's father placed it up there not long after purchase. Walls were moved & the Loar ended up behind one. Recently as the attic was being remodelled, the Loar appeared in a space that had been walled off.

Or something like that. I may be getting the exact details wrong!

Scott Tichenor
Sep-08-2006, 7:11am
This email dropped into my inbox on January 27, 2004 from an owner who didn't play and who had this instrument in his possesion for a number of years. It was in his mother's possession for years before that. They didn't have any idea it was worth more than sentimental value. A few weeks later I met the owners at WinterGrass and got to watch it strung up for the first time in over 50 years and then was the first one allowed to play it, a moment I still remember well. I had low expectations for what it'd sound like, but it sounded wonderful.

---------

I have a Lloyd Loar signed f-5 from 1924. All labels attached and unused since appox. 1951. It was my grandfathers and has been in the family since he purchased it. I need to get it appraised to insure it. I just realized what I had in the last couple of days. Can you provide names of appraisers in the Seattle WA area? I will send info. on the mandolin for your list tomorrow after I get the info. from inside.

F5G WIZ
Sep-08-2006, 7:23am
Dan,Not long after the original purchase? It looks to have been altered at some point. I do like the block inlays, just like my mando.

Scott, you must have been thrilled to have been the first person to play and hear it after all that time.

danb
Sep-08-2006, 9:26am
Yes- it appears to have been redone and was sold "AS new" in the 30s. Full 1930s fern appointments and over-finish

F5G WIZ
Sep-08-2006, 3:24pm
Dan, would you leave it as is or restore it to its original condition? If it were yours that is.

danb
Sep-08-2006, 4:27pm
I'd leave as found.. Refinishing would be taking a gibson finish off! No problem with tone either..

Ivan Kelsall
Sep-26-2006, 8:48am
That Loar 73485 has to be one of the most beautiful Mandolins i've ever seen.I don't normally like 'block' inlays,but they just seem to suit the 'horizontal' Gibson logo & i especially like the slightly understated 'fern'. Not many Mandolins really make me wish that they were mine,but boy,that one surely does,
Saska