Ted Eschliman
Sep-07-2006, 6:48pm
More info & pictures coming soon!

Ted Eschliman
Sep-07-2006, 6:51pm
(bone nut--just like Jacob!)

Larry S Sherman
Sep-07-2006, 6:51pm
Ohh no you didn't!!! Wow...I've been hoping to arrange something with him.

Larry

Duc Vu
Sep-07-2006, 7:20pm
Interesting! Steel strings for first four courses, bronze strings for the fifth. Is it on purpose, or just the strings you have available?

glauber
Sep-07-2006, 9:25pm
God's sakes, trim the loops in that peghead. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif What a mess!

No, Ted likes TIs, but he couldn't bring himself to cannibalize a mandola set for the low Cs, so he strung up a couple of cheap guitar strings instead. Just wait for the Jazzmando 10-string custom set... out any time now.

Also interesting: 10 strings, 9 hooks.

Ted Eschliman
Sep-08-2006, 6:39am
I don't actually have the instrument, but I've had the scoop directly from Tércio, and promised to keep everybody abreast. Notice the cool handmade pearl rosette. He tells me a signature Bouzouki is in the works, as well.

Here's another glimpse, and hopefully more to come soon:

http://jazzmando.com/new/archives/images/Ribeiro_wCase.jpg

glauber
Sep-08-2006, 11:24am
Pretty. Looks wider than standard bandolim, almost a circle instead of a teardrop.

Bob DeVellis
Sep-08-2006, 11:35am
The case looks like a tank (I mean that in a good way).

Ted Eschliman
Sep-22-2006, 5:37am
This just in, hours after completion:
Hamilton's Signature 10-string Debut (http://jazzmando.com/trcio_ribeiro.shtml) Pictures

glauber
Sep-22-2006, 6:58am
If anyone would need translation to deal with Brazilian or Portuguese musicians or luthiers, i'm glad to help, within my time constraints.

Martin Jonas
Sep-22-2006, 7:35am
Also interesting: 10 strings, 9 hooks.
I suspect he got that tailpiece from Ebay: there's a German seller who offers identically-looking 9-string tailpieces regularly. #They're designed for waldzithers.

Martin

glauber
Sep-22-2006, 11:43am
Thanks, Martin, i was wondering where it came from. In Brazil it's not always easy to get custom stuff made for a reasonable price.

Ted Eschliman
Sep-22-2006, 12:27pm
Update: I'm hoping for some pictures of the back soon (when Hamilton is able to give up the instrument temporarily...), and I asked about the pick-up. Tércio says it has a built-in Fishman with a 1/4" out, but Hamilton does a lot of mixing with outboard mics as well.

mandolooter
Dec-01-2006, 9:47am
So, Ted, whats the scale-length on this instrument....having that extra course has me wondering?

Linda Binder
Dec-12-2006, 7:42pm
I'm wondering about the scale length too....and the price. #I tried emailing Sr. Ribeiro but the emails bounced back. # Any fresh information available these instruments? #C'mon Ted...stop practicing and get back to the computer would ya.
--Linda

Larry S Sherman
Dec-13-2006, 7:22pm
I tried emailing Sr. Ribeiro but the emails bounced back. Any fresh information available these instruments?

--Linda
Try Tercio at this email address: ribeiro.tercio@gmail.com

He's a great guy. Here's some specs that he sent me:

All my instruments are made with the finest wood, with french-polish finish and are built with 40% humidity.

Top: German Spruce - close and straight grains - quarter sawn.
Back and sides: German flammed Maple or Brazilian Rosewood.
Neck: Mahogany - more than 15 years' cut.
Fingerboard: Madagascar Ebony
Frets: small - LMI (USA)
Bindings: rosewood
tuners: Schaller
Bridge: handmade bone.
Roset: handmade - simple pattern (geometric) mother-of-pearl

Larry

mandolooter
Dec-13-2006, 8:01pm
Larry...could ya get a scale length? Or can this fellow read English...my Portuguese is limited to a few words read in CD liners. Thanks, Jeff

Larry S Sherman
Dec-13-2006, 8:31pm
He has no issues with English...go ahead and ask him about the scale length...I'm sure that he'd be happy to talk about his instruments.

Larry

Linda Binder
Dec-13-2006, 8:39pm
Thanks Larry, for the information. I'll try the alternate email address.
Jeff, we'll find out the scale length yet!

Linda Binder
Dec-14-2006, 7:25pm
I just heard from Tercio. The scale length on the 10 stringed bandolims is 35cm. I think that's 13.77 inches if I read the conversion chart correctly. That's the same scale length Vergilio Lima uses for his 10 stringed bandolims incidentally. Hard to believe C strings would work at that length but obviously they do. Hamilton obviously makes them sound great.
--Linda

Bill Snyder
Dec-14-2006, 8:28pm
That is just under the common scale length of most modern mandolins. They are generally 13 7/8" (13.875).

Jim Garber
Dec-14-2006, 11:47pm
Am I mistaken or do most bandolim players string with a rather light gauge string?

Jim

Linda Binder
Dec-17-2006, 10:10am
Am I mistaken or do most bandolim players string with a rather light gauge string?

Jim
I think that's correct. #Rouxinol strings are used by some of the bandolim players I've heard of and they come in at 10/14/22/35. #Mark Levesque also mentioned that he prefers light gauges on his bandolim. #I don't know what gauge the C's are that people use. #Would possible floppiness of the C strings on a short scale instrument be minimized by a lighter gauge...or heavier? #I wonder...