PDA

View Full Version : David Grisman Bluegrass Experience

mandopete
Sep-05-2006, 1:58pm
I don't recall seeing any mention of the new David Grisman bluegrass recording here on the Cafe. #It's called The David Grisman Bluegrass Experience or simply DGBX if you find the former to be too many words. #Long story short, this is a fantastic recording! #He has people like Jim Nunally and Keith Little along with his son Samson on bass. #This is a real dyed-in-the-wool, traditional bluegrass project. #It features classics like I'm Rollin' On and Rock Hearts and my favorite cut Dawggy Mountain Breakdown. #I forgot how much I enjoyed hearing David play bluegrass. #His phrasing is truly unique and I'm sure that this recording will make my Top Ten for 2006!

SternART
Sep-05-2006, 2:09pm
I saw them at the end of their recent tour, after they returned to the Bay Area, from the East Coast.
This version of the band has really jelled, and indeed it is hard core BG. I'll have to get the CD!

fredfrank
Sep-05-2006, 7:04pm
I bought the album by download at this site:

place where you can get it (http://www.livedownloads.com/show.asp?show=939&artist=114)

AlanN
Sep-05-2006, 7:24pm
and my favorite cut Dawggy Mountain Breakdown. #
...which of course is the theme song for Car Talk...has the great Tony Rice and Master Scruggs on the earlier recording.

mandopete
Sep-06-2006, 10:04am
I really like their version of Old & In The Way too. Grisman does a great job with vocal.

wsm
Sep-06-2006, 10:21am
Seeing how Joe Craven is no longer playing with DGQ, wondering if he has also left DGBX?

SternART
Sep-06-2006, 10:58am
Current lineup in the DGBX: Jim Nunnally on guitar & vocals, Keith Little on Banjo & vocals, Chad Manning on fiddle, Sam Grisman on bass,
and of course David Grisman on mandolin & vocals. These folks can really pick, but vocals are a strong point for this band, Jim & Keith play locally here in the Bay Area as a duet......Jim also is in Reischmann's Jaybirds & does Brothers style dues with Dix Bruce......Keith has been in Ricky Skaggs & Dolly Parton's bands, but I first got to know him from the Vern Williams Band.

JEStanek
Sep-06-2006, 8:17pm
While I'm not quite the rabid Dawg fan Art is http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif I would recommend seeing the DGBX to you all. It is well worth your hard earned money. As a band leader David is great and everyone in the group has moments to really shine, and they do. I'll remember the show from this summer in Sellersville, PA for a long time.

Jamie

Philip Halcomb
Sep-07-2006, 8:04am
I just bought it yesterday, still listening to it on my iPod as I write. I particuliarly like "Dream of the Miner's Child" the "Are you afraid to die?" is awesome, the vocalist really pulls out that early Frank Wakefield tone in his voice on that cut. All around a great album! Now if I could just get David to bring that band up to Central NY? Anyhow enjoy!

mandopete
Sep-07-2006, 8:59pm
So today I was perusing the CD cover and noticed that the Dawg has replaced the black electrical tape with the image of, well, a dog!

And my favorite line from Down The Road..."Mr. Dawg was born in barn..." - Good one Jim!!