PDA

View Full Version : Jesse Brock's mandolin

straight-a
Apr-20-2004, 9:38am
Anyone have info on the two point A style that Jesse plays?

Apr-20-2004, 9:54am
I know he used to have a Ratcliff 2 point.. Dunno if he still has it.

Steven Stone
Apr-20-2004, 11:14am
When I saw him last year he had just gotten a Gibson Sam Bush in an endorsement deal. At that time he was still going through his honeymoon phase with it - deeply in love. I don't know what he is playing now however.

straight-a
Apr-20-2004, 11:20am
I'm interested in the one he has on the cover of the Lynn Morris cd with the vine inlay on the fingerboard and the two shoulder points.

Apr-20-2004, 2:47pm
That would be the Ratcliff he used for that

He had it at SPBMA several years ago.

Jesse is a great guy.

straight-a
Apr-20-2004, 2:55pm
thanks for the info!

Mandobar
Apr-20-2004, 9:32pm
i was in a music store in nh and one of the guys in there told me jesse had been in there a while back and kept picking up and playing a used rigel r100 they have there. i played it. wow! it was a sweetie. even better than the one i have my eye on in a store in vt.

Willie Poole
Apr-23-2004, 8:05am
For what it`s worth....Jesse was playing a Ratcliff about four years ago in Kissimmee Fla and a friend approached him with a new Gilchrist and wanted him to play it on the show so he could hear what it sounded like through a mic system and Jesse played three songs on it and switched back to the A model and said he wouldn`t trade him for the sound alone, different pickers get different sounds from mandolins and everyone that played the "Gillie" during a jam session fell in love with it, myself included...We all are not satisfied with the sme sounds, I can`t imagine Jesse swapping for a Sam Bush model unless there is some money involved....Willie

Steven Stone
Apr-23-2004, 10:01am
When I talked to Jessie, he was using a Bush. The only money that had exchanged hands in his endorsement deal was from him TO Gibson. Most Gibson endorsement deals do not involve money paid by Gibson, but a reduced price from Gibson. There are always exceptions (Sam Bush and the other signature model endorsers) but most endorsement deals at best invlove free product (like with strings) but with higher ticket items most endorsement deals involve slightly lower than wholesale prices but little else in benefits.

No, when I spoke to Jessie he REALLY liked that Sam Bush. ANd it did sound great on stage.

Charlie Derrington
Apr-23-2004, 10:10am
Thank you Steven.........

We do not pay people to play our mandolins.

Charlie

Moose
Apr-23-2004, 10:16am
Thank you, Charlie!! - http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Big Joe
Apr-23-2004, 12:47pm
I'll second Charlie's words. If the pro's are playing a Gibson, it is because they like the sound and playability. There is not enough money to pay someone who uses it for his living to get them to play what they don't like.

earthsave
Apr-25-2004, 8:58am
Saw him in February with Dale Ann Bradley and he was playing the Bush. Darrel Webb was playing a Fern, and Jeremy Chapman was playing a Bush also. All Gibson endorsements if I aint mistaken.

Joe Parker
Apr-25-2004, 10:43am
Before I get 'outed'publicly as a Gibson endorser, I would like to confess openly that I play and endorse Gibson mandolins. For those of you who lust after the sordid details,here's how my deal is set up.After finding a Gibson that has the sound and playability I'm searching for,I plunk down my hard earned money and buy it. Then I enjoy playing it and,whenever possible,I share it with my friends and let them try it out. I tell any one who asks that I truly like my Gibson and that as long as they make a good sounding,playable instrument then I'll continue to buy them. I purchased my first one in 1981 and since then have played and owned others.I am currently awaiting delivery of a new Master Model.For this one I used my celebrity status to cut a deal with an authorized Gibson dealer which worked out to be about what everyone else is paying.So there,I've said it! Don't hate me because I'm a Gibson endorser!

ps-Charlie-I haven't seen a check in a while;did you lose my address?

JPP
(Joe Public Picker)

Imagine what kind of a deal Bob Dylan must get on skivvies now that he is an endorser for Victoria's Secret!!