PDA

View Full Version : non-guitar mando players rollcall

ira
Jan-29-2004, 4:07pm
just interested? seems like most everyone who posts was or still is a guitar player who plays mando now. are there any folks beside me who never played guitar/ a stringed instrument before pickin up the mando??

FolkMusician
Jan-29-2004, 4:11pm
I started out with the mandolin, but I am slowing picking up the guitar. I'm not too good though, mediocre at best

mad dawg
Jan-29-2004, 4:11pm
Does it count if I've never played a guitar or other stringed instrument well? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

mingusb1
Jan-29-2004, 4:53pm
I'm a bass player, learning the mandolin.

Got pretty tired of lugging the old dog house around everywhere!

Z

Staramouche
Jan-29-2004, 5:23pm
I started out a few months back on the Mando, previously I was great and accomplished at the air guitar, but that didn't translate well to the wonderful instrument # # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I have picked up a cheapo guitar since, just to learn those foreign chords. #It helps to see what the other guy is playing as my ear is still being trained.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Joe

BenE
Jan-29-2004, 5:27pm
I took guitar lessions for about 6 months when I was about 10 years old...I then played drums in Jr. and Sr. High Band. When the band director was teaching theory...us drummer where hitting each other with our sticks ;) I should have been listening! Although, I think coming from a percussion background has been an advantage with the mandolin.

KYGirl
Jan-29-2004, 5:32pm
I would fall into that category! #I played clarinet in middle school for 1 year and that was it. #I got my first mandolin 3 years ago. #As a lefty, went through the dilemma whether to learn right-handed, or seek out the right lefty mandolin for me. #I decided, with some help of fellow pickers, to go ahead and try it right handed. #I caught on fairly quickly and it felt comfortable to me. #Now my Martin Guitar is my second instrument!

Happy Pickin'~
Michelle

Lee
Jan-29-2004, 5:37pm
Grew up on violin; way back a long time ago before folk had made a resurgence. Got tired playing classical and stopped. Years later I wanted to play something and figured on mandolin. I've tried guitar but it's completely hugely alien.

Bluegrasstjej
Jan-30-2004, 7:14am
I actually did play some guitar but I don't think it counts in my case because I never really learned it well, just played for 2 years or so and just played very easy rhythm. Before that I had never touched a stringed instrument.

Dave Voyles
Jan-30-2004, 7:25am
I waited until I was 62 to pick up any stringed instrument. I can tell you that being able to play bassoon and saxophone doesn't translate worth a hoot to mandolin. However, this mandolin thing is really a disease. In three years I've owned five, built one and have my first electric being delivered today.

Dave

SteveW
Jan-30-2004, 7:47am
I have dabbled in a number of musical instruments over the course of 46 years, including a little guitar strumming in college. But never stuck with any instrument long enough to say I could actually play it. My last attempt was the violin/fiddle about 12 years ago. Gave it up after a year. I've been playing mandolin now for a little over a year and half and have reached a point where I can play, and I learn more every time I pick up the instrument. This is it for me. I intend to master this thing as well as my middle-aged fingers and mind will let me. No guitar or anything else. Just mandolin.

weathermandolin
Jan-30-2004, 9:24am
Mandolin is the first instrument I've ever learned. My wife is learning guitar, so maybe I'll give that a try down the road. Way down the road...

Jason

Darren
Jan-30-2004, 9:28am
Mandolin was the first instrument I've attempted to learn to play. I just wish I would have started a lot sooner.

Bowzette
Jan-30-2004, 9:31am
Ditto Darren above.

engwar
Jan-30-2004, 9:37am
Violin player (parents started me on the Suzuki classical program when I was 2 1/2.) I've started on the fiddle recently http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

My wife bought me a bowl back about a year ago. I'm just about ready to purchase a flat-back mando.

acumando
Jan-30-2004, 6:17pm
played fiddle (mostly jazz-rock) from age 16 to about 28, then started on mandolin (i'm 41 now). never could play guitar -- the fourths thing throws me off. i actually started on fiddle cuz everybody else i knew played guitar, so i figured i'd try something different.

8ch(pl)
Jan-30-2004, 7:33pm
Mandolin, then tenor banjo. Don't play banjo all that much and went to tenor so I could use manolin chords. Do not want to play Guitar.

wannabethile
Jan-30-2004, 8:53pm
the mando is my first and only instrument that i play. ive been playing for over a year now, and im slowly trying to teach myself violin, but thats another story.

mandogrouch
Jan-30-2004, 9:29pm
started my musical journey on the mando 31 years ago. never wanted to play guitar, never did, never will.

jasona
Jan-31-2004, 4:11am
Tried the trumpet in elementary school, but it didn't take. Tried the guitar in college, but it was poorly set up and hurt, so I dropped it right quick. Wanted to learn mando 10 years ago but was told that the local teacher would on;y take students with stringed instrument experience. Only came back to it 2.5 years ago on a trip where one person brought one along: I tried it, and got stuck in it!

Dan Adams
Jan-31-2004, 5:06pm
Played mando first, but learned guitar to play backup to myself. I went to the dark side.... But only once or twice a month. Do I need help?

Bass Strum, Strum, Bass I'm confused? Dan