PDA

View Full Version : Radiotone

Dave Hanson
Aug-29-2006, 3:08am
Hi all, I'm looking for information regarding Radiotone mandolins, I know I can rely on the Cafe people.

Thanks in advance, Dave H

Paul Hostetter
Aug-29-2006, 1:34pm
The plywood European ones?

Jim Garber
Aug-29-2006, 3:09pm
Like this?

I believe that they were made in Germany in the 1930s or 40s. I did not know they were plywood.

I have not seen or played one in person.

Jim

Jim Garber
Aug-29-2006, 3:25pm
Dave:
Did you buy this one (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230017859931)?

Jim

Paul Hostetter
Aug-29-2006, 4:15pm
The one like this I saw in person was, like so many of the Hofner, Framus and other German impressions of American mandolins, fully laminated, as they like to say. It was more than 20 years ago, so maybe I am remembering wrong. I like the 'sharp' symbol in the headstock!

Dave Hanson
Aug-30-2006, 2:39am
No I didn't buy one, someone else wanted the info but didn't know where to ask, I knew I could rely on the Mandolin Cafe.

Thanks everyone, Dave H

scheftler
Feb-16-2011, 1:15pm
Radiotone was one many brands of significant distributor J.E.Dallas and sons in UK. These double top mandolins were made in Schonbach (now Luby) in Czechoslovakia in the late 30s and were dedicated to british market. It is carved spruce and maple (not laminated!), ebony fingerboard, MOP inlays, adjustable ebony bridge. Special "kind of virzi" - second top - is a thin flat spruce gripped on both chocks onside the body.

bluesmandolinman
Feb-17-2011, 3:29am
thanks for the info !
do you have any printed material like catalogs ?
would love to see their complete product line as I have only seen 3 mandolins so far
cheers, René

bobbyburns
Feb-17-2011, 8:02am
There was also a line of Regal made Radiotone instruments in the 30's. I have seen several different guitar models, and own two of them now. One of them actually says Radiotone by Regal on the label. I haven't seen a Regal radiotone mandolin, but considering the Regal mandolin output, I would assume that they exist. The mandolins pictured are clearly not Regal made, but I just wanted you all to be aware that someone did use that brand name on US made instruments at one time.

scheftler
Mar-24-2011, 10:41am
There was no Radiotone mandolin product line. As far as I know this double top was the only Radiotone mandolin. Other Dallas mandolins were likely different brands and suppliers.