PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Mo M-1 vs. Flatiron N-1

racuda
Aug-28-2006, 9:43pm
I ran a search and could find NO topics where these two were compared. Is the "search" broken or has no one ever asked how the two compare to each other?

I have an early '80's Flatiron N-1. It is my "beater". I love it, it is always at hand in my livingroom. I also have two "good" mandolins, but I usuallly pick up the Flatiron.

I'm not interested in a Mid-MO, but from reading the descriptions of both, they sound simullar. I believe they are similarly priced.

I am just curious how they compmare to each other. Does anyone have one of each?

Eric F.
Aug-28-2006, 11:21pm
Hmmm. Well, I used to own a Mid-Mo M-0, which is the same as an M-1 without binding, and I now own a Flatiron 2K. I've also owned a Flatiron 2M and 2MW. So, I'll take a stab at it.

The Mid-Mo M-0 and M-1 have mahogany backs. The Flatirons are maple, except for the ones designated as K, which are koa. So, that's a big difference right there. I thought my M-0 sounded sweeter than my Flatirons, with less punch but a very, very nice tone. The maple Flatirons were loud. The 2K is my first koa mandolin. It is my favorite of the three Flatirons I've had. It's loud AND sweet, with a little more tonal complexity than the maple Flatirons had. It's also the oldest, an '82. Of course, it could just be my faulty memory and the tendency to think whatever mandolin I have now is my favorite.

I sold the Mid-Mo to help finance an upgrade but found myself missing that flattop sound. I think that Mid-Mos are the Flatiron pancakes of today. They are quite similar in feel and overall vibe. The different back woods available give each one of them a somewhat different sound. The look is a little different, the sound is a little different, but overall, I would say that they are indeed similar.

I have other "nicer" mandolins but definitely go through phases where the Flatiron gets played the most.

Steve L
Aug-29-2006, 5:15am
I've owned one of each. #The Flatiron I had I bought second hand and quickly realized the top had sunk a bit and the store (finally) agreed to take it back. #I let people talk me out of the costly repair of rebracing the top and often regret it as the sound of that instrument (a 1 N) was extraordinary. Very loud, round and complex.

I got a Mid Mo M2 to replace it. #Ironically , the top sank a couple of years later and Mike Dulak repaired it out of warranty at no charge. (No one beats Mid Mo for service.) I'm a huge fan of Mid Mo...they are a quality instrument for a bargain price and I would recommend one to anybody. #But without any disrespect to them, I really thought the tone, neck feel, and look of the Flatiron to be superior.

I don't know if they could produce that instrument now at the same price point of the Mid Mo. I certainly chose a Mid MO over a Y2K or an Aspen.

fatt-dad
Aug-29-2006, 2:45pm
O.K. you guys with the pre-Gibson Flatirons - have you given me your serial numbers and photos for my www.flatironarchive.com project (under construction)? Feel free to pm/email me if you want to get in on the fun!

f-d