PDA

View Full Version : Turrell #1

bluegrassplayer
Aug-28-2006, 9:29pm
I got the fingerboard glued on today and finally got to string it up. Now it is only clean up and finishing. It's going to be a blacktop. You'll also have to imagine a abbreviated 'A' pickguard on there. That is on the way.

bluegrassplayer
Aug-28-2006, 9:31pm
I did a lot of upgrades on my IV kit. Here's the fingerboard.

bluegrassplayer
Aug-28-2006, 9:33pm
I wet the back with a rag to show the flame. This part will be a sunburst.

bluegrassplayer
Aug-28-2006, 9:36pm
Here's a pic of the binding.

bluegrassplayer
Aug-28-2006, 9:40pm
Here's a dream-like pic of the headstock.

bluegrassplayer
Aug-28-2006, 9:46pm
Here's a pic of the headstock with the template for some more inlay.

bluegrassplayer
Aug-28-2006, 9:50pm
I'll keep posting pics as I go along. Hopefully it will be done by the end of September.

Antlurz
Aug-29-2006, 1:58am
I think that is the first IV I've seen that the fretboard was modified. I've been wondering how long till someone did it. Looks nice.

Ron

kyblue
Aug-29-2006, 7:42am
That's an awfully nice flame on the back. Seems a shame to cover it up with a burst.

Paula

Skip Kelley
Aug-29-2006, 8:54am
Micah, great job on the mandolin! Can't wait to see the finished pics!

Darren Kern
Aug-29-2006, 2:49pm
bluegrassplayer, looking real good. Nice work. Way to think outside the box. Paula, a sunburst doesn't necessarily have to cover up the figure. Alcohol based dyes (and probably others but that's what I have a little experience with) can be pretty translucent and even show the figure through pretty dark colors.

Sitka
Jan-29-2007, 11:58pm
After many a setback...

Here are some current pics. I changed some of the inlay pattern. Don't look very close at it. You'll see all the imperfections.

For those of you who may be wondering why Sitka is posting instead of bluegrassplayer... look at my signature.
Micah

Sitka
Jan-30-2007, 12:00am
Here's a pic of the headstock. I designed the inlay myself. Still learning the art of cutting pearl, but it I'm happy with it for my #1.

EDIT:
Oh, yes those are shims between the nut and headstock overlay. Something funky happened during glueing.

Sitka
Jan-30-2007, 12:03am
Here's a pic of the back.

Sitka
Jan-30-2007, 12:06am
Here's another. I decided to put an ebony cap of the neck heel. I need to clean it up a bit, but I think the stain will cover most of it up.

I hope...

Doug Edwards
Jan-30-2007, 9:02am
EDIT:
Oh, yes those are shims between the nut and headstock overlay. Something funky happened during glueing.
Nice work. I getting up the courage to try one of those kits.

Nothing wrong with shims. You'll just have to fine a creative way in incorporate them into your TRC. "Oh yeah, I did that on purpose, why?".

markishandsome
Jan-30-2007, 10:02am
I just hope you haven't quit playing bluegrass http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Sitka
Jan-30-2007, 10:55am
This is therapy while my mandolin has been in the shop all week. I found that I get board and irritable easy lately.

Hmm, wonder why?

Micah

EDIT: Ohhh. I get it now. No I haven't stopped playing bluegrass. I just wanted a more luthierie oriented name. It might make me sound more professional.
At least I try...

Sitka
Jan-30-2007, 5:35pm
Here is a pic with the pickguard installed.