PDA

View Full Version : Summergrass

Nick Triesch
Aug-27-2006, 8:28pm
Just got back from Summergrass in the San Diego area. Like always it was much fun with a terific setting on green grass with plenty to eat and wonderful music. California was wonderful! John Moore, John Hickman, Peter Sprage, Dan Crary, and Brian Berline all on the same stage!!!! I had to go but for the final show two kids from Nickle Creek showed up. Also Blue Highway was terrific. Mandolin was supurb from both bands. John Moore does gymnastics on his mando! Buffalo Bros. was set up with many fine guitars and mandos. There were Webers, Collings, a Gibson F5G with a ceder top. I tried many of the mando's but the one that really killed me was a Collings A type MT-2. Wow!!!! What a mandolin!!! I wanted to take it home so bad but then I would have to live with my dog outside! The other mandolins were nice. Most sounded really nice including a MT and a nice MF. But the MT-2!!!!! Very rich deep bass and played like glass to boot!!!!Ok, I'm done but give Summergrass a try nest year. Wonderful down home place with lots of camping. Nick

skyblue
Aug-27-2006, 9:31pm
i attended summergrass on saturday afternoon and saw blue highway and the infamous stringdusters...both were great.
shawn lane was amazing on mando...john moore gave a great
mando workshop.....i enjoyed myself immensely

jasona
Aug-27-2006, 9:43pm
I still regret missing Summergrass last year. I did go to Buffalo Bros on the same day which is when I first learned of it. Oops! But I got to play an that day MT2 also and yes, very nice mandolin with perhaps the best neck in a production mandolin.

Glad you had a great time Nick! I've been thinking back to that workshop we attended a lot recently.

Nick Triesch
Aug-28-2006, 6:40pm
Yes Jason, the Collings A sounded very nice. Made me re think again just how good an A type can sound. I thought the MT-2 had a sound very close to your fine A which is one of the best mandolins I have ever played anywhere! Nick

jasona
Aug-30-2006, 10:08pm
You are too kind. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

I did dig out the material we received and am back to hurting my left hand on those exercises. Glad to see you survived the heat this summer!

Keep picking, Jason