PDA

View Full Version : Lotus Festival

John Jesseph
Aug-27-2006, 7:00pm
We just moved to Bloomington three months ago, and the Lotus Festival is just around the corner. #Any recommendations for acts we shouldn't miss?? #Thanks!!! #Artist List for 2006 Lotus Festival (http://www.lotusfest.org/06LotusFestArtists_List.html)

JimRichter
Aug-28-2006, 7:01am
Any of the acts they have at Lotus are worth seeing, but from an acoustic/old time music perspective, I wouldn't miss Uncle Earl.

Jim

delsbrother
Aug-28-2006, 2:17pm
If you're into Indian music, go see Debashish Bhattacharya. He plays several amazing multi-stringed beasts, but the one that I particularly like is an instrument built for him by Canadian luthier Michael Dunn: a uke-sized, four-stringed, mini-weissenborn guitar. Very cool.

Alex of the North
Aug-28-2006, 2:57pm
I'm very jealous. I wish Lotus were a travelling festival... I've already been down to Bloomington once this year (I was a student at IU '93-'97 and currently live in Wisconsin), otherwise, I'd consider going. I went to the first one back in 1994 and it blew me away. I think the Dorkestra forever left an imprint on my mind - and Karl Meyer will always be my musical north star. I wonder what happened to those guys? John, to address your actual question: don't miss the Vida reunion - four women, close harmonies, and world music. It's really remarkable.

John Goodin
Aug-28-2006, 8:58pm
I lived in Bloomington for a long time but was gone before the Lotus Festival got going. I do have fond memories of hearing Lotus himself (Lotus Dickey that is) several times during my time there. If I could be there this year my priorities would be Swap and Vasen. Hopefully Darol Anger will appear with Vasen, I know he's supposed to play with them in Minneapolis at the Nordic Roots festival just before the Lotus. If so he might even bring some mando content to the performance.

John G.

John Jesseph
Sep-01-2006, 10:24am
Thanks everyone for the replies- I appreciate it. We will try to see all the acts we can, but need to prioritize, with babysitters and all. I like Indian music, and the friends that are staying with us for the weekend are Indian...I am of Nordic descent, and like Darol Anger, so it all works. I guess Jim's right, it's all worth seeing...

earthsave
Sep-01-2006, 11:32pm
I just dont understand the Lotus festival. I know it is a rare chance to hear music from around the world, but I just dont find that interesting. I've gone twice. Once was specifically to see Iris Dement (wonderful), and the other I do not recall why. Shooglynifty was a nice find, and the Tibetan lady was neat before Iris. I also like the Lotus Dickey tribute they put on. Grey Larsen, Dillon Buston, Jane Henshaw, Bob Lucas, Steve Dickey, and other friends of Lotus play his songs and tell stories about Lotus.

I see there is a Vida reunion. That would be worth hearing. But the rest is Greek to me.