PDA

View Full Version : Limehouse Blues

Tbone
Apr-19-2004, 1:11pm
Hey Guys

Well, I did my first semi-gypsy kinda sorta session thing friday nite. I randomly met an awesome guitar player, and we picked for a couple hours.

He has an ok little repitoire of gypsy standards. We did a little Limehouse Blues, and I was wondering if anyone might have a chart for that one they could send me? We did it in C, I believe.

Which leads me to another question, does anyone have a list of 'standard' gypsy tunes? These lists seem somewhat common for fiddle tunes. Maybe this has been covered before..?

Brad Weiss
Apr-20-2004, 8:24am
Here it is in F, which is not too hard to transpose to C

Limehouse Blues (http://www.silverleafjazzband.co.uk/chords/22.html)

Seth Rosen
Apr-20-2004, 7:02pm
Tbone,

Limehouse Blues...a great tune, but I'm not clear what is "gypsy" about it. #Django recorded it, but so did Gene Krupa, Barney Kessel and many more. #I believe it comes out of traditional jazz (aka dixieland) tradition or perhaps out of vaudeville.

Tbone
Apr-20-2004, 7:12pm
True, true. Although its not a real gypsy tune, it seems like lots of gypsy-stule players do it, which is why I referred to it that way.

AlanN
Apr-20-2004, 7:50pm
So, if it's in C, the first 4 bars are F, right? I play this one in G major, usually. 4 bars of C, 4 of A, 2 of G, etc.

Mike Crocker
Apr-20-2004, 10:48pm
My guitar/fiddle duo plays the Simon Mayor arrangement of Limehouse Blues which came with one of his instruction videos. It is in standard notation and tabbed for mandolin. I've tabbed it for guitar for student use also. I do a few chord substitutions on the fly and the fiddler messes about with phrasing a bit, but otherwise we play it pretty straight, though much faster generally than the Django version with which I'm familiar.

Key of C (chords: F7, D7, C, E7, Am, G7, F#7, Dm, A7, Fm).

It's a great all purpose tune, from nursing homes to weddings to dinner gigs to fundraisers, everyone loves it.

Peace, Mooh.

Moose
Apr-21-2004, 10:20am
As an aside - and my apologies for drifting off-thread.. ; I once heard the late-great Don Reno play this number on banjo - along with several others of THAT "genre'- Scruggs has/had the right(pickin') hand - Reno HAD the left(neck) - a somewhat forgotten.., eclectic, and much underrated musician..,unless you ask a banjo player!!.. - And now back to our regular program.. - RIP Mr. Reno. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Tbone
Apr-21-2004, 1:15pm
OOps, we did do it in G.

Brian Ray
Apr-22-2004, 8:03am
I had posted this in another thread...

C # # 023x # ////
A # # 224x # ////
G # ##455x # /// (walk down)
E7 ## 102x #/ # #
A # # 224x # //
Am #223x # / #(or C)