PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco Jub Band Festival

wah
Aug-25-2006, 12:40pm
This Sunday, August 27, from 10am to 8pm, at the Jerry Garcia Ampitheater in McLaren Park is the 1st San Francisco Jug Band Festival.

Skiffle Symphony features Morgan Meadows who's been a protege of Kenny Hall - he has even started playing a "tater bug" as well as his banjolin. Quake City Jug Band features Steve Scott on mandolin. The Hohoppas has Rice Miller playing a sweet cigar box mandolin. Other bands include the Stumptown Jug Thumpers from Portland and two bands from LA - Rizorkestra, ...and the Leasebreakers. The Babar Jug Band, the Tarantulas, the Amazing Grapes, and the Blue Roots represent the Bay Area in style.

Get there early to see and hear the National Anthem played on jug. For directions and more info go #here (http://www.jugfest.org)

Wayne #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

ira
Aug-25-2006, 2:48pm
man, wish i was in sf- sounds like a blast!
have fun wayne (i know you will).
ira

wah
Aug-25-2006, 3:45pm
I don't know how that g turned into a b.

It'll be great fun, once I learn how to play the National Anthem on the jug.

Wayne

ira
Sep-09-2006, 7:08pm
so....how was it?

wah
Sep-11-2006, 12:34pm
Ira,

It was great! And almost every band had a mando player. The venue (Jerry Garcia Ampitheater in McLaren Park) is really nice and the sound was outstanding - they used the same sound guy we use in Sutter Creek. There were a ton of highlights: I managed to pull off that national anthem thing (somebody said it was the "wierdest" national anthem they'd ever heard - I took it as a compliment), the wierdest thing for me was the Stumptown Jug Thumpers (who had a hippie mando player on a Tacoma M-2) doing a jug band version of that old disco tune "Staying Alive" with the big burly banjo player singing in falsetto, that was even weirder than ...and the Leasebreakers (who have an excellent mando player) doing a Beach Boys tune. If you ever get a chance to see Blue Roots - DO IT! Wonderful stuff.

Now I'm getting ready for the 4th International Jug Band Festival in Sutter Creek, CA, on September 30th. The headliner is the Barking Spiders with Robert Armstrong and Keith Cary!

Wayne

ira
Sep-12-2006, 8:56am
any tape of that anthem??? i love a wierd/different sounding version of any tune.

wah
Sep-12-2006, 11:42am
Everything was recorded and is also on video. I don't know about the availability of it all. The guy who would know is currently in Europe so I'll have to wait a week or so to ask him.

Wayne