PDA

View Full Version : XM Radio-Ch. 14-Bluegrass Junction

maroon
Aug-24-2006, 11:39am
I suspect there are quite a few of us who listen to XM Radio Channel 14, Bluegrass Junction.

Does anyone else think there should be less talk and more bluegrass on XM Channel 14? The dj, or whatever he is called, frequently hosts what he calls "studio specials" with various bluegrass bands. They talk a lot and punctuate their conversation with shortened versions of songs that they play in the studio. At first I kind of liked the format but it soon grew old. I bought XM because of one thing--the ability to hear bluegrass 24/7. I have it on in the car and, often, all day long at work. I did not buy it to hear a lot of chatter.

Day before yesterday they began playing people's phone calls making requests. "Um, hi, how are you." "I really like your show." "I talked to you last month. Do you remember what you played for me?" I had to turn it off.

I complained to XM and got an email back from the dj saying "you can't please everyone all of the time."

Is it just me or is there way to much talking and not enough bluegrass?

Roydw3
Aug-24-2006, 7:07pm
I don't know...I kind of like it. We have no other alternative to hearing a variety of bluegrass or being around the groups in this part of Texas. There is very little going on in the genre. So, I am excited to learn about the bands. Today, William and Clark Expedition was on and I really enjoyed it. I met them last year at Winfield. It was nice to hear them and their new album sounds great.

DryBones
Aug-24-2006, 10:35pm
I wouldn't know I own Sirius! Not a lot of talk except a bit of talk up between every 3rd or 4th song. Now if they could just play a few less Chris Jones songs and do ssomething with his mic so his SSSSS's wouldn't whistle so bad it hurts my ears I would be happy! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

maroon
Aug-24-2006, 11:57pm
Roydw3,

I kind of liked it too--for a while. I felt like I was learning something even. But then they began playing reruns of the same shows. Re-runs on satellite radio? That just seems wrong somehow. Come to think of it, that's when I first found myself having to turn it off and that's when it began to annoy me.

But the other day, with the callers chit-chatting their way through requesting songs. To actually broadcast the innanity of that. I truly do not understand who could possibly think that anyone would want to pay good money to hear that stuff.

I'd sooner listen to someone telling me what time it is, second by tedious second.

jim simpson
Aug-25-2006, 7:04pm
I like Bluegrass Junction on XM and don't mind the reruns too much as there are so many other channels to listen to. On the way home from work earlir I heard a rerun of Bob Dylan's Theme Time show. He is so funny to listen to in addition to the selections he puts together. Getting back to XM, is Kyle Cantrell (sp?) the only DJ on that channel? If so, how can he stay awake for such a long period of time?

maroon
Aug-25-2006, 11:35pm
Mr. Kantrel (sp?) is the only d.j. I know of.

I will tell you there was one hillarious moment on one of the studio specials about 3 weeks ago or so. I don't remember what band it was but somehow they got off on a non-pc subject and started making jokes about it and the poor dj was doing all he could not to laugh and to pull back the conversation from the edge.

Brady Smith
Aug-26-2006, 12:47am
Not heard XM's stuff myself but I too have Sirius with no complaints.