PDA

View Full Version : Lute Players; Nuttier than we will ever be

PlayerOf8
Apr-19-2004, 7:36am
I posted a reply to Victor's mention on lutes, and for the past three days I have fielded a boat load of phone calls, e-mails and surprise visitors. Many of them took mental pocession of my instrument and demanded that I sell it to them. Each one of them clamined to be an expert in their own way and warned me not to let my lute get taken out of the country. Thank goodness Stradivari didn't feel this way.
I was amused by most of it, but I was also lied to on several occasions. I was told by one cyber inquirer that "lutes were a dime a dozen in Europe, and that $1500 for mine was his top offer. Shame on him, double shame!!!
There were some very honest callers who just #asked for photos and line drawings. But most of the others #put their shoes on with cork screws.

George #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

PlayerOf8
Apr-19-2004, 7:39am
I forgot to mention it. The lute has a new home this morning

GMundefined

vkioulaphides
Apr-19-2004, 10:12am
Hmm... might some of these folks be somehow connected to all those princes-in-exile from exotic, African countries (that, however, are mysteriously absent from any map), and who offer you vast amounts of money in return for, oh, nothing much... ? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Bob A
Apr-19-2004, 11:26am
Are we to assume someone made you an offer you couldn't refuse? Is there no hope for a photo?

billkilpatrick
Apr-19-2004, 11:51am
i don't know what this is in reference to but in general - and in my experience - i'd have to say you're absolutely right. oud players on the net tend to converse like normal human beings but lute players (particularly baroque, it has to noted) in my experience, have proven to be a prickly, contentious, and highly opinionated lot. maybe it's because most of their repertoire is so catagorically historical and their instrument so technically demanding that they tend to proclaim instead of chat.

of course it could also be just a simple case of "i've got more strings than you do..."

interacting with touchy eccentrics has its up sides. i'm more careful with the spelling than i would normally be when contributing to other lists and i've become very circumspect about repeating hear-say or making flippant remarks.

all good fun, though....in'nit?

ciao - bill

Bob A
Apr-19-2004, 11:58am
"Tend to proclaim rather than chat" - beautifully put. One of the extreme perils of full professorship. A weak personality such as mine lacks the power to inhibit the intense desire to put noses out of joint, just to watch the reaction. It's doubtless just as well that I don't frequent the near occasions of lute.

All good fun, especially if they can't physically reach you.

Eugene
Apr-19-2004, 1:34pm
Ah, Bill, I think too much of your experience with the banter of lutenists has originated in one rather vociferous character...you know who I mean. This is the same here-unnamed character who contends Scarlatti's multi-movement sonatas are "noble" on archlute and "cheesy" on mandolino (an instrument specified in one manuscript) by virtue of the octave in which these respective instruments play. Eh?

billkilpatrick
Apr-19-2004, 1:52pm
okayokayokay...

there's these three musicians, right?...a guitarist, a mandolin player and a luteist...

...oh...sorry guys, dinner's ready.

vkioulaphides
Apr-19-2004, 1:53pm
HA! On account of octave, I must claim the highest—#now, wait: or is it the lowest? — degree of nobility: Count (empty bars, that is) Basso Profundissimo Strepitoso, His Excellency, Knight of the Midnight Rumble (in the opera pit), Sempre Tremolando (especially in Italian scores), Sine Qua Non, Caveat Auditor. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

PlayerOf8
Apr-20-2004, 6:48am
On Saturday, I was informed that the lute was the highest form of musical expression. That was until I showed them what I could do with a Duncan Imperial.
Photos of the lute should be uploaded later this week.

George

Jim Garber
Apr-20-2004, 7:21am
The Duncan Imperial... isn't that a yo-yo?

Jim

PlayerOf8
Apr-21-2004, 6:30am
Jim,

Isn't Yo Yo a cellist?

George

Bob A
Apr-21-2004, 11:38am
Ma, make them stop.

Alex Timmerman
Apr-22-2004, 3:40pm
Hello George,

It would be very nice to actually see photos of the instrument. I hope you will post them here. I´m interested to see what it is.

Best regards,

Alex