PDA

View Full Version : Fingerpicking

mandolman
Apr-19-2004, 5:43am
Anyone play melody on octave mandolin on fingerpicking ?

And if yes ! What is your technique ?

chinatogalway
Apr-19-2004, 6:28am
There was a guy called Joseph Sobell, that made a fantastic album a few years back called Citternalia. He also did a teaching section on one of the zoukfest teaching videos. Very interesting style, and he does it beautifully. you'll find the teaching video on the Zoukfest site.

Don't know if he ever made any other albums !

Kieron

Steve Baker
Apr-20-2004, 2:00pm
In his Folk of the Wood OM training tape Mickey Cochrane uses fingerpicking on a couple of numbers. It sounds pretty good!

FYI

Steve Baker
Foley bouzouki http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Jonathan Reinhardt
Apr-20-2004, 3:47pm
Fingerpicking adds a lot of dimension to even regular mandolin. Excellent for many styles. And good when soloing. What you lose in volume, you make up for in individuality. Phrases take on a whole new perspective. Some people say to me that they really like the 'blues mandolin' I'm playing. It's not particularly (I never was a major blues player), but I attribute it to the fact that they are not as used to hearing fingerpicked mandolin.
I fingerpick about 50% of the time.

mogalski
Apr-21-2004, 9:46am
I like to fingerpick my OM for 2 reasons.
1: Different approach to tunes, some sound better that way!
2: Keeps my right hand in shape for picking 5-string banjo. (If I solely play OM with a pick for a few days, I notice my middle finger's dexterity regresses somewhat)
On some tunes, like the Musical Priest for example, it's fun to add in triplets as a banjo-like roll on a single string.
Alex

What_Key_Is_That
Apr-23-2004, 11:05am
http://www.fredkellyspicks.com/bumblebee.htm

I have ordered a couple of these bumblebee picks. I have been searching for a Thumb Pick that could also substitute for a Flat Pick. I'm not sure if this pick dose that, but if it is succesful you have found the Holy Grail of Picks. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

dudleyunderhill
Apr-23-2004, 11:18am
Very interesting. Will you please post your impressions after you've tried them?

neal
Apr-23-2004, 12:56pm
I have only fingerpicked "Good King Wenseslas" thus far, it's realllllly easy if you're use to alternating bass on guitar. Top strings open bass, bottom 2(A E) melody. In G. Sound great on my octave, but sounds sweet on my mandolin, too. It's an ok start. I'd be interested to hear some blues, Rasa, if you have any sound clips.

Dolamon
Apr-23-2004, 1:41pm
Bumblebee Pick - I've got a Fred Kelly, Light Jazz pick and it's a trip. Generally I'll use it for pinching double stops on non adjacent strings and then move right back into flat picking. What doesn't show in the pictures is the pick is on a pivot which allows it to move up or down or a little sideways. I've tried to do little roll type moves but - the flat pick approach is a bit louder. If I try a finger pick - on any finger - it seems to hang up and get in the way. So for my approach I still stay with the 'Ghosted' double stops where the treble note is there, but not as loud as the thumb picked note.

Herco makes flat / thumbs also but they are huge to start with and not as adjustable, or as comfortable to wear. I think however, for my next one, I'll get a heavier version Bumblebee pick rather than a jazz light. I't just a bit too light for my approach.

Jonathan Reinhardt
Apr-23-2004, 5:07pm
oh, you too, neal? Just kidding. Thanks for giving some credence to my individuality. Nothing but lo fi cassettes (solo) at the moment, but will be recording with my band this summer so I'll get you something then. Meanwhile I'll try to get some clean copy cassettes together. This band has a previous CD with some great players, which I'll try to send on when I get another stash. Mr. Generous -I never seem to have enough on hand.
Also check out Ted Porter's playing with Big Blow and the Bushwhackers (previously with the Nee Ninghy Band). Both are Google searchable.
I suggest for now to try working up "I Am a Pilgrim" like C.White does it on the '33 Acoustic Guitar Instrumentals' CD (Sierra Records). Totally awesome Clarence (at 16). That'll give you the wherewithall/encouragement to get down on that bluesy sound like nothing else.
---------
hey rasa. why don't you use a pick?
'cause it doesn't sound like anyone else you ever heard now, does it?

MirekPatek
May-04-2004, 2:12pm
Fingerpicking - oh yes, I play this way. OK, I am retuning my instrument (tenor banjo, madolin or resophonic mandola) to open tuning - in case of octave mandolin it would be GDae => ADad.

Look at
http://www.geocities.com/patekstylebanjo

Mirek Patek
Prague, Czech Republic

Jeff_Stallard
May-25-2004, 10:54am
I think I'm going to try Patek's ADad tuning with my OM. I might as well, so I can get some use out of the damn thing. I got it thinking it would be the best of both worlds, but if I want low I always grab my irish tenor banjo, and if I want the mando sound, I just grab my mando. Maybe now my OM will get some playing time (assuming I can figure out fingerpicking).

Thanks for the website Mirek!