PDA

View Full Version : Chris Thile

Tim
Aug-22-2006, 10:23am
CHRIS THILE & the How to Grow a Band at The Birchmere (http://www.birchmere.com/calendar/calendar_list.cfm) Oct 19. #Tickets go on sale Aug 25.

Anyone know if this is the same lineup as on the CD discussed in other threads?

fwoompf
Aug-22-2006, 10:47am
Pretty sure it is. I'll be seeing them on October 27th at The Ark in Ann Arbor.

Also I can't wait as I've never seen him outside a Nickel Creek environment and that stuff is just...well, he's just capable of so much more.

It's going to rock! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

big h
Aug-22-2006, 11:32am
what kind of ban are they?i know about chris but not about his band.who is in it?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Tim
Aug-22-2006, 12:29pm
CD Discussion (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=3;t=34749;hl=eldridge)

kidtwist
Aug-22-2006, 12:34pm
I heard that Chris Eldridge will have other commitments when they start touring so he'll be replaced by Bryan Sutton. I can't remember where I heard that though.

fwoompf
Aug-22-2006, 1:25pm
what kind of ban are they?i know about chris but not about his band.who is in it?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif
It's a bluegrass band! His new CD is pure bluegrass...it comes out on september 12th and from what I've heard of it on his myspace it sounds fantaaaastic.

Chris Thile - Mandolin (no brainer)
Chris Eldridge - Guitar (son of the banjo player in the seldom scene)
Greg Garrison - Bass (I think he was in leftover salmon?)
Noam Pikelny - Banjo (has a neat new solo record and also was in leftover salmon I think)
Gabe Witcher - Fiddle (He sometimes has a mohawk and tours with Jerry Douglas. Hell of a player)

kidtwist: I heard that too. On Bryan Sutton's website he has the dates up there but he doesn't have his schedule for October yet. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either guy...like I said, it should be a heck of a night http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

big h
Aug-22-2006, 2:23pm
gabe is awsom!!!!i saw him with jerry douglas!!!hes got a sweet mohawk:cool:

first string
Aug-22-2006, 4:49pm
I'll probably be there…But more exciting still (at least from my perspective), is the Chris Thile/Edgar Meyer show at George Mason scheduled for January '07. I can't find the date that tickets go on sale on George Mason's website, so if anyone knows, please send me a message.

But that I think, will be a truly amazing show.

Harrmob
Aug-25-2006, 11:01pm
I saw Chris Eldridge tear a guitar up about 4 years ago with the Scene. That is going to be good show.

bradeinhorn
Aug-26-2006, 11:29am
Going to see them (again) in NYC on the 29th!!! This band absolutely rules.

Hal Loflin
Aug-26-2006, 10:58pm
I have tickets for next Wednesday (8/30) at The Belcourt Theater in Nashville. From what I understand they had only intended one show but it sold out fast and they are now doing a second show after the first.

I will post how it was THursday morning.

meghory
Aug-30-2006, 2:44am
I'll be at the Nashville show too! See ya there!

Tom C
Aug-30-2006, 8:10am
I saw them last night in NYC. Brian Sutton was on guitar. For a band with such great pickers, I found the music rather boring. I was looking so foward to this. Chris did not have much of a stage presence. Brian barely had any room to take breaks as I have seen in the past. We ended up leaving before 11:00 and went to Wo-Hops.

Tony Sz
Aug-30-2006, 8:27am
Tom, were we at the same show? Chris engaged the audience well, was enthusiastic - maybe a bit less over the top than at some nickle creek shows. How much more do you want? The musicianship was superb and the audience seemed to be thrilled with the show. Personally, i thought they were superb. I'll see them again in Ann Arbor; they now rank as one of my favorite "must-see" bands.

bradeinhorn
Aug-30-2006, 10:09am
I'm unfortunately going to have to side with Tom C on this one.

I saw this group (eldridge not sutton) at the living room back in nov/dec. TOTALLY DIFFERENT SHOW. The first ones were filled with Bluegrass standards (Molly and Tenbrooks, Big Sciota) and not so standards (Colleen Malone, Things in Life) that went over great and kept the energy up through the excellent yet sometimes overly cerebral originals. The audience connection was like none I'd ever heard. it was as if no one wanted to miss a note (which there were a lot of). The guys seemed like a perfect fit for each other and you got an amazing sense of musical sharing.

Other than featuring the new album tunes (which are for the most part hardly traditional) the long set last night (over 2 hours) was basically a platform for chris to showcase a lot of his prior solo album/nickel creekish style work. Some people really like this. It is not for me. Other than that, my biggest problem was that the cohesive group feel that the earlier shows had was totally lost. The other band members were certainly given ample play time, but it was very clear that "this will be the token banjo tune" or "this will feature bryan sutton"...

Don't get me wrong. I have endless amounts of respect for every player in that group, chris especially, but I guess I was just expecting something different.

B

Perry
Aug-30-2006, 11:37am
I saw the show last night too and while I enjoyed it; it was lacking a little "grease" if you know what I mean. We promptly fixed that by hitting the famous Wo-Hop on Mott St.

The band was tight. I liked Chris's opening solo tune
which seemed to be a musical comment regarding the NC hiatus. I thought that first number was pretty heavy. I'm not really up to snuff on Chris' solo vocal tune repertoire or really any Nickel Creek tunes past album one.
So I didn't know alot of the tunes.

Certain tunes speak to certain people. I was starving and for me the lure of steamed dumplings was greater then the need to stay for the whole show. We did catch quite a bit of it. I'd love to see the tunes we missed. Anybody have the setlist?

They did a cool "bluegrassed" version of the Gillian/Rawlings tune Wayside/Back in Time

Super clean mando picking though (of course).

sunburst
Aug-30-2006, 11:56am
I saw Chris Eldridge tear a guitar up about 4 years ago with the Scene.
It was about that long ago that I ended up in a jam session with Chris Eldridge. He was soaking up everything he could from watching and listening to the other guitar players in the jam, and playing his own breaks and rhythm very tastefully. When someone that good is still trying to learn that much, it points to a good future, I think.
Nice guy too!

Hal Loflin
Sep-03-2006, 8:37pm
A couple of pictures taken with a camera phone at the 8/30 Belcourt Theater in Nashville...

Hal Loflin
Sep-03-2006, 8:38pm
And number 2...

Hal Loflin
Sep-03-2006, 8:51pm
Now for my impression of the concert...It was everything that I expected and the musicians that are gathered together are true all stars. They were as tight as I have ever seen a band. They played everything from bluegrass to blues to jazz and even a classical piece that all played solos and/or harmony pieces.

I can see from the above posts why some would not have found it exactly to their liking because the music seemed to not fit any one particular catagory/genre. I took my 22 year son who is in to Dave Matthews and John Maher, he had also gone with me to see Thile and Edgar Meyer in Memphis, and he was blown away by the ability of the musicians. He was espically impressed and knocked out when they came back for the encore and played a Radio Head song that he knew word for word.

I guess the best way that I could describe this experience would be to relate it to ice cream...If you are an only vanilla type person, or maybe even chocolate, then you might be a little disappointed if you are looking for Nickel Creek or straight Bluegrass. However, if you are the Baskin Robbins, all 57 flavors, person then this show is for you.

They are all very talented musicians and Chris Thile is a true stage presence, not to mention an extreme mandolinlist (is that a word). I have followed his music for five years and it was great to experience this phase in his life at this live concert. Seems a lot of musicians get their roots in Bluegrass, branch out into other directions (experiment a little) but usually come back to their roots. I hope I am still around when Chris is fifty and puts out that "Back to Bluegrass" album.

Rob Wallace
Sep-03-2006, 10:57pm
For what it's worth, Bryan Sutton is playing with Earl Scruggs at the Birchmere Oct. 15th so it seems a distinct possibility he will be sittin' in on the 19th.

See ya' there!

Rob

bradeinhorn
Sep-04-2006, 2:57pm
[QUOTE]I hope I am still around when Chris is fifty and puts out that "Back to Bluegrass" album.

You're not going to have to wait to long for something like this. These boys (Eldridge not Sutton) actually worked on a much more traditional sounding album that will be coming out after this sugar hill album is promoted.

mustache
Sep-05-2006, 4:58am
Hal, lets get the facts straight. Baskin Robbins is 31 flavors. It’s Heinz that has 57 varieties.

Anyway, I’ve always thought of Thile as more of a Ben & Jerry’s kind of guy.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

WJF
Sep-05-2006, 8:33am
You're not going to have to wait to long for something like this. These boys (Eldridge not Sutton) actually worked on a much more traditional sounding album that will be coming out after this sugar hill album is promoted.
Brad ... are you completely sure about this? I've heard no mention of a second project from any of the guys and in fact, Chris is talking about this record in the press as being his return to his bluegrass roots.

I'd love a second project (or anything else these guys want to do) so I hope you're right ... just haven't heard any mention of it anywhere or from anyone associated with the band.

Hal Loflin
Sep-05-2006, 9:03am
Thanks mustache...Man do I not know my ice creams. However I do like Heinz 57 on vanilla ice cream.

adgefan
Sep-05-2006, 9:23am
Just heard Chris is coming to the UK in a couple of months, and immediately bought my tickets. I hope he is bringing the whole band with him, but a solo gig would be more than acceptable!

bradeinhorn
Sep-05-2006, 10:30am
[QUOTE]
Brad ... are you completely sure about this? I've heard no mention of a second project from any of the guys and in fact, Chris is talking about this record in the press as being his return to his bluegrass roots.

I am quite sure of this...Check my post in the bluegrass section of the board.

Tim
Sep-06-2006, 7:25pm
I started this thread but I decided to see the John Cowan Band the same night at Wolftrap. #I bought tickets to see Chris Thile with Edgar Meyer in January at George Mason U.

Wolf Trap is having Doyle Lawson, Del McCroury and Mountain Heart this fall (different nights).