PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Artists

hotchkiss
Apr-18-2004, 11:44pm
Hello to everyone on the boards!

I am just starting to get interested in the mandolin. I play the guitar now (I'm sure you've all heard the story a hundred times) and I am looking to get into the mandolin for a change of pace and a new sound.

Anyway I was wondering if you would all be so kind as to point me in the direction of artists that you enjoy, or find influential or interesting. Obviously as this is the Celtic board that is the style I am primarily interested in but please don't just restrict yourself to that one genre.

Also if anyone knows of any good communities, vendors, teachers, weirdos or whatever in the Long Island, NY area I would appreciate any contacts. Heck, even if you know a good book or video I'd be grateful for the heads up.

Thanks!

Ryan

chinatogalway
Apr-19-2004, 6:34am
Andy Irvine has long been the most admired Mandolin and now bouzouki player.Andy Irvine (http://www.chinatogalway.com)
covering bands like, Planxty, Patrick Street, Mozaik, De Dannan and sweeney's men.............what more could you want!

Keith Miller
Apr-19-2004, 7:45am
for celtic listen to Dagger Gordon and Kevin McLeod also have a listen to the cafe MP3s ....great stuff on there.
Keith.

craigtoo
Apr-22-2004, 5:46am
Dan Beimborn has a great disc too....
Shatter the Calm.
Available here...
http://www.celticmusic.com/dan/

Great Mando and Zouk stuff!

Craig

Schwang
Apr-25-2004, 2:55pm
Howdy. #I don't get on here often, and I'm new enough that I don't have a lot to say... that said, check out Flogging Molly. #I know, I know. #They're not traditional, by any stretch, but their mandolinist gets some pretty sweet licks and seems to really know his stuff.

Warning: when I say "not traditional," I mean lots of electric amplification. #They're kind of a fusion of Irish and punk. #Lots of fun to listen to... and especially to drive to.

Enjoy! #I'll have to check some of these other suggestions out, too... sounds like fun!

-Schwang