PDA

View Full Version : Fuggi, Fuggi, Fuggi da Questo Cielo

JeffS
Apr-18-2004, 9:47pm
This song is on a CD that we got from Enfamil (baby formula maker) when my daughter was born. The composer is Giuseppino and it was written in the 16th century I believe. It sounds like it would be a fun one to play on mandolin but I can't find a score anywhere. Anyone ever seen it?

Jim Garber
Apr-19-2004, 9:38am
I assume that this (http://www.nightwatchrecording.com/smartsymphonies.htm) is the recording you are referring to.

I did a quick Google and came up with this link to the Journal of 17th Century Music (http://sscm-jscm.press.uiuc.edu/jscm/v9/no1/Tyler.html)

2.12 Music by Giuseppino is also found in another important source of monody, the previously mentioned Barbera manuscript. His canzonetta, Fuggi, fuggi, fuggi da questo cielo, with its memorable tune, became an immediate hit under the title, Ballo di Mantova. It probably originated in a sixteenth-century theatrical work performed at the ducal court in Mantua, because, soon after, the tune became the musical emblem of that city. There are hundreds of versions of the piece, which became so popular throughout Europe that it eventually entered the realm of folk music, wherein each country claimed it as its own. It survives today as the main theme of Vltava, the second symphonic poem in the Bohemian-born composer Bedrich Smetana’s nationalistic six-part cycle Má #vlast, and also as the basis of the Israeli national anthem.

Jim

tonylumen
Apr-19-2004, 11:27am
I have an old lp that I had learned this catchy tune from.
I will look up info on it's label when I get home.
I also remember the tune being called The Italian Rant.
(If it's the same tune that you are referring to.)
Tony

tonylumen
Apr-19-2004, 1:51pm
I found the lp record that I remembered, and it's title is La Mantovana, Italian Airs and Dances of the Early Baroque - performed by The London Early Music Group directed by James Tyler - Nonesuch H-71392 (I wish they would re-issue this on cd.)

quoting the album notes . . . "La Mantovana, also known as the Ballo di Mantua . . . (similar notes written here that Jim found) . . . in England it was known as the Italian Rant. In 1645, Gasparo Zannetti published what was a tutor for the violin; but aside from the relatively sparse instructions . . the book contains a marvelous collection of Italian dance and popular music in four parts . . . which can be performed on all sorts of instruments . . . which in every way is comparable to Praetorius's famous collection of dance music Terpsichore"

"Fuggi,Fuggi, Fuggi - here is another version of La Mantovana" . . .

I attempted to put this in notation, by ear, (after just learning to read music). and can send a .jpg scan of my scratched out notation with a guess at the chords that I heard to anyone that is interested in getting it. I have a mp3 file somewhere that I made from the tune. There are two versions of the same song on this album - an ensemble instrumental piece - La Mantovana and Fuggi, Fuggi, Fuggi translated on the liner notes as "Fly, Fly, fly (continuing) away from happy lovers, O impious woman begetter of tears . . ."
That sounds like the start of a contemporary country western tune to me.

Tony

tonylumen
Apr-19-2004, 2:06pm
I think I figured out how to attach an image file (after reading Scott's note). Hopefully, here is my attempt at notating the catchy popular tune - La Mantovana - The Italian Rant. Is it the same tune?
Tony

Eugene
Apr-19-2004, 2:07pm
The New World Renaissance Band also recorded this in their "light" pop-folk style. #I haven't endeavored to notate/intabulate it, but it's a fun tune to hear just the same.

...And welcome into the fold, Tony.

Jim Garber
Apr-19-2004, 2:35pm
I had meant to post this link from Amazon from the New World Renaissance Band (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000001XJU/qid=1082403174/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl15/102-2493038-3969720?v=glance&s=classical&n=507846). At least you can hear a little bit of this tune.

Jim

JeffS
Apr-20-2004, 12:07pm
Tony, I believe that is it. Haven't had the chance to play it yet. My daughter will be thrilled when I do. Thanks a bunch.