PDA

View Full Version : i got to play a gibson

big h
Aug-19-2006, 10:51pm
i got to play a gibson f-5G tonight. what a great mando.it was loud,easy to play,and had a great chop!i really liked it! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif it was a fun mandolin.

Yellowmandolin
Aug-22-2006, 11:20am
I'm glad you were happy with that mandolin! I hope you have many other glorious high end mando experiences!

DryBones
Aug-22-2006, 12:58pm
something I will probably never get to say http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif (being a lefty)

mikeo2
Aug-22-2006, 2:32pm
You should take a trip to the Gibson showcase store in Nashville. Well worth the trip as there are at least a dozen high-end Gibson mandos hanging for anyone to pickup.

Fliss
Aug-22-2006, 3:15pm
Funnily enough, on 19th August (the date this thread was started) I got to play some nice Gibsons too! #I'd previously played one at a local market trader's stall and hadn't been too impressed, but visited TAMCO in Brighton for the first time on Saturday, and Trevor kindly let me play some of his wonderful mandolins, including a few Gibsons, although I was really shopping for a guitar not a mando. #

I'm still not a fan of the f-hole variety, but I tried a couple of vintage oval hole Gibson mandos, one from 1919 and one from 1921, and loved them both. #The tone was rich and... is "woody" the term I'm looking for? #Anyway, however you would describe it, I liked it. #

I'm a convert now, I want a vintage Gibson! I've kind of promised myself I won't buy another mando till next year at the earliest, but even so it was touch and go whether that 1919 whiteface was going to come home with me. #

I'll certainly be saving up for one at some stage in the future.

Fliss

Mikey G
Aug-22-2006, 7:10pm
If you ever get a chance to got to IBMA in Nashville you will become completely overwhelmed. I've gone several years and never cease to be amazed by all the great mandolins there, including the Gibsons from the showcase. The next time I go I'm going to broaden my horizons. I almost bought a new Fern there last year.