PDA

View Full Version : Solo Mandolin Sheet Music from Plucked String

Mark Levesque
Apr-18-2004, 9:25pm
In keeping with my deep beliefs that one cannot own enough sheet music (and CDs),
Can anyone recommend any of the solo mandolin music on the Plucked String webpage?

How are the Anonymous Middle Age Dances?
The Old Catalan Dances?
Are these interesting arrangements?
Se'i - Doh by Ochi?

Thanks,
Mark

Bob A
Apr-18-2004, 9:38pm
I liked the Middle Ages thing - only 4 pages, but definitely medieval in tonality. They were unable to provide the Catalan dances - out of print. I really wanted that one.

I got 2 by Ochi - one was just flat-out impossible, for someone of my negative skill level; I don't recall the other. I'll take a look at the stuff tomorrow, when I'm at home, and follow up.

margora
Apr-19-2004, 7:33am
The Ochi is an important piece but difficult. Neil Gladd's "Three Centuries ..." is very good value for the money but most everything in it is advanced (or beyond). At the intermediate level, an excellent selection is Vogt, "International Songs and Dances". Vogt's version of "Greensleeves" is the one on the Gertrud Troester video.

Eugene
Apr-19-2004, 2:34pm
Greetings Mark,
I agree with Robert's assessment of Neil Gladd's "Three Centuries..." #It is invaluable in presenting a few representative snapshots of the state of the solo mandolin art at every era of its popularity. #I am also a great fan of Neil's own solo compositions. #The vocabulary is decidedly modern, but they are mighty mandolinistic (now if I could only play them...). #I'm still pining for the release of his Sonata II to print! #Eh, Neil?

Eugene
Apr-19-2004, 2:37pm
For historic interest, you should also look into Paganini's "Menuetto" (actually a 3-mvt. solo sonata) for mandolino Genovese. Norman carries it through a German publisher (I don't remember which, but I don't think it's Trekel). It is pleasant sounding and none too difficult, but a little sparsely voiced.

margora
Apr-19-2004, 3:08pm
Re: Gladd. Like Eugene, I like the Sonata #1 very much; his 12-tone piece is also very good. Both are recital material, however.

Mark Levesque
Apr-19-2004, 3:12pm
Thanks Gents,

I think I'll wait another day and see if there are more suggestions before I order a bunch of stuff from Norman and see what he has in stock.

Mark.

margora
Apr-20-2004, 9:23am
Some more recommendations from the Plucked String list:
1. Wolfang Bast, "Capriccio". Another important work, moderate difficulty, tonal.
2. Michael Patton, "The Classical Mandolin", very good arrangements, moderate difficulty.

As a composition, I like the David Jaffe sonata, but it is very difficult.