PDA

View Full Version : Bad Buzz

Justin
Jan-29-2004, 12:40pm
I've had a used mid-mo for about one and a half years. So far I've been very happy with it.

But the last couple weeks it's been "buzzing" horribly when I try to play past the 4th of 5th fret. Much higher than that and I can't even get a note at all, just a sort of "plunk" like the string is being damped by something. I noticed that the string touches one of the higher frets around the 12th I think...)

I tried changing the strings, but that didn't really help.

Is there anything I can do to fix this quick? I'm supposed to play at church on sunday. Any advice would be appriciated.

sunburst
Jan-29-2004, 12:57pm
The first thing to do is get a humidifier. Put the instrument in the case with a humidifier and see what happens. That might be all it needs, but if it is properly humidified and still buzzes, you probably need some fret work, which shouldn't take long IF you can find a luthier that isn't to busy to squeeze it into the schedule.

Tom C
Jan-29-2004, 1:39pm
Also, Check the back to make sure it is not separating along the center back seam. I saw this happen to my friend's but did not realize the separation until it got bigger. I believe somebody on this board had the same problem and MM fixed it by making it a 3-piece back.

KYGirl
Jan-29-2004, 2:45pm
I had the exact same problem a couple of years ago, and was told by a luthier to try exactly what sunburst suggested. #I bought 2 Humitron violin humidifiers and stuck one in each F-hole and sealed my case for a couple of days. #(Be sure to keep a check on the level inside the case, you don't want to over humidify it either) #It knocked the buzz right out. #Hopefully your problem is that simple to fix. #Good Luck!

Michelle

Lee
Jan-29-2004, 2:51pm
Justin, how's the humidity been in Ohio recently?

Justin
Jan-30-2004, 1:11pm
Low. Its freezing cold...