PDA

View Full Version : What ya think - pressie for my bro?

pettyman
Aug-17-2006, 5:35pm
Hi guys

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Washburn-M1S-Mandolin-Tobacco-Sunburst_W0QQitemZ280019248649QQihZ018QQcategoryZ1 0179QQrdZ1
QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Washbur....iewItem</a>

What do you guys think of this. NOw I know it aint no Eastman etc but I can't afford that much and nor can my brother.

He borrowed my Kentucky KM380s a while a go and has wanted a mando desperately dor ages. Now I really want to suprise him and get him a mando but can't afford much.

Is this worth getting - how does it compare to the Kentucky I have?

Cheers in advance

Matt

pettyman
Aug-17-2006, 5:38pm
Or how about the trinity college A style mando that I can get from TAMCO for £75?

Again, I know that these aren't high quality but would they get him through or would they put him off?

I started on a Stagg piece of junk that I hated and he hated it too when he played on it! So I want something playable that he can get a decent sound out of - he's very musical and is reasonably good already!!!

Ray(T)
Aug-18-2006, 10:47am
For that sort of price you're not going to get something which sounds like a Loar the best you can hope for is something that is playable, plays in tune and stays in tune. The Washburn is being sold from a private address masquerading as a shop on the outskirts of Sheffield whereas TAMCO has a reputation to keep - I know which I'd choose.

Bob Denton
Aug-18-2006, 12:02pm
I have a Trinity College Octave and a Washburn F5 (which I use on stage plugged in) Both have great necks and the Trinity sounds good once set up and plugged in.

100 quid for a mando delivered is great! £75 is even better!

I have an F5-L for acoustic (microphones)gigs and sessions.

The down side of cheaper mandos is the lack of tone and volume, which shouldn't be an issue for a beginner as long as they play well.

Cheers!

pettyman
Aug-18-2006, 12:25pm
hmm - i'll try the trinity college out when i go to TAMCO next week. But i'm now also looking at the kentucky km140 at £99!

Will feedback

Matt

Martin Jonas
Aug-25-2006, 2:11pm
I haven't played the M1S, but there has been some pretty good feedback on those here in the last few months, probably the best of any of the mandos in its price range. It has a solid (though not carved) top, which is pretty good going at that price. Be prepared to set it up yourself, though: I wouldn't trust the setup from the Ebay seller, whereas TAMCO will setup anything you buy there. I have no idea how good the £75 model from TAMCO is, but Trevor wouldn't be selling it if it were terrible.

As an aside, there now also seems to be an oval-hole version of the M1S, which may also be of interest.

Again, I haven't played the M1S, but the Washburns, at least their higher models, have a reputation for good playability which is important for a beginner.

Martin