PDA

View Full Version : Help -- I'm worried!

Carey D
Apr-18-2004, 4:10pm
Hey gang,

A few months ago I ordered a Morgan Monroe "Phantom of the Opry" MMS-4 from Folk of the Wood. I received it in good condition and have been enjoying it ever since. I noticed early on that the nameplate on the headstock said "Rocky Top." Being a beginner, I didn't think much about it. However, recently I was having some work done on it in a little shop. As I was browsing around, I saw a mandolin just like mine, except the nameplate actually said "Phantom of the Opry." I asked the owner about it -- he said that he thought Morgan Monroe made a slightly cheaper series of mandolins called "Rocky Top" (that were almost identical to the "Phantom.") Now, finally, my question: Did FOTW send me the wrong mandolin? I know that I ordered and paid for the "Phantom" -- my invoice even says so. Don't get me wrong -- I love the mando I have. But if they sent me a mandolin that is $200 cheaper than what I thought I was buying, then I want to remedy this by getting the right one. I've got no beef with FOTW -- it could have been an honest mistake, or I could be totally wrong about this whole thing. Somebody please help me solve this mystery:-)

Carey D
Ps. 13:6

ira
Apr-18-2004, 4:18pm
don't know much about morgan monroe mandos - you could check their website and find out. knowing my experience with fotw- it wouldn't shock me if they sent you the wrong thing.

Coy Wylie
Apr-18-2004, 4:32pm
This page (http://www.folkofthewood.com/page2333.htm) shows a Phantom of the Opry with a "Rocky Top" inscription on the TR cover. It would seem that the Phantom is part of the Rocky Top series.

Brian Ray
Apr-18-2004, 6:36pm
No, you're fine... all the ones I've seen say "Rocky Top"...

jim simpson
Apr-18-2004, 7:39pm
Now if you get a request to play "Rocky Top", you'll have to!

mandodude
Apr-18-2004, 8:47pm
Yeah, but what's he do if he gets a request for some Andrew Lloyd Webber stuff??

Raven
Apr-22-2004, 8:43am
The Earlier Phantom of the Opry Mandolins had a Rocky Top Truss rod cover. They only recently started using Phantom of the Opry on the truss rod covers.