PDA

View Full Version : Brentrup 23V with Husky Acoustics bridge saddle

avanti
Apr-18-2004, 11:19am
I recently installed a fossilized ivory-capped bridge saddle from Kurt Gisclair. My Brentrup 23V was already an exceptionally powerful and clear-sounding mandolin, but the addition of this saddle reinforces and magnifies its best qualities. I picked with some folks the other night and I just couldn't believe the power this instrument has. I really had to hold back more than usual to keep from overpowering the other instruments. If one of your fellow pickers is drifting off-tempo, a few chops at full power will definitely show them the error of their ways. And I can be a lot more relaxed during breaks knowing I don't have to work so hard to be heard.

And it's not just increased volume. The tone is incredible. The instruments just rings. Every note clear as a bell up to the 15th fret and beyond. Woody and well-defined bottom. It's a thrill to hit downstrokes on the open G along with the octave on the D string. It just growls. The bass is the only thing I didn't think was an improvement at first, but I put on new strings and raised the action a little more (the ivory-topped saddle is a little shorter than the original ebony saddle) and now I'm completely happy with the result.

Anyway, this mandolin isn't a banjo-killer; it's a WMD (Weapon of Mandolin Domination). The ivory-topped saddle might not improve every mandolin, but I'm thrilled with what it did to mine. And Kurt is a great guy to deal with. Has anybody played his mandolins?

avanti
Apr-18-2004, 11:20am
Forgot the photo...

Kbone
Apr-19-2004, 7:17am
Very Nice ! BTW how did the practice go ? are you in ?

keith

Bill James
Apr-19-2004, 7:20am
Rob,
Did the saddle interchange with your original saddle? I'm using a Randy Wood bridge and I'm wondering if it would be a direct interchange.

avanti
Apr-19-2004, 7:41am
Keith, yes I think I might play some gigs with them. I'm going back on Wednesday to meet the fiddler who wasn't there last week.

Bill, the new saddle was a perfect match on my Steve Smith bridge. Check with Kurt about your Randy Wood.

Apr-19-2004, 8:24am
Great looking Brentrup by the way!

Bill James
Apr-19-2004, 9:04am
Thanks Rob. Actually I'm using a Steve Smith bridge also. Why I said Randy Wood I'm not quite sure. I'm getting close to fifty so maybe that explains it (scratches head). Anyway, thanks and good luck with the gigs.