PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Tapes

futrconslr
Apr-18-2004, 9:44am
I have a copy (on CD) of Red Allen and Frank Wakefield's kitchen tapes. Whats the story behind these recordings? There must be a good one. Also, you people that say bluegrass MUST have a banjo.......listen to this cd and it will change your mind.

phynie
Apr-18-2004, 11:41am
I think the story goes that the kitchen tapes are a recording done by a young david grisman. #He wanted to catch these two masters at work. #It is a great session if you ask me. #No banjo needed (or wanted for that matter!):p

phynie
Apr-18-2004, 11:44am
Here is the description of it from grisman's site.

"The Kitchen Tapes was recorded on the afternoon of April 11, 1963, in the Hyattsville, Maryland, kitchen of bluegrass mandolin genius Frank Wakefield. There he and his partner, the legendary singer-guitarist Red Allen - two bluegrass masters in their prime - jammed freely for hours. Surrounded by their wives and kids, a reel-to-reel tape recorder, and a strategically placed microphone, these incomparable musicians played songs that have come to embody the essence of bluegrass: "Nine Pound Hammer," "Over the Hills to the Poorhouse," "Bluegrass Breakdown," "Billy in the Lowground," "Crying Heart Blues," "New Camptown Races," "Down in the Willow Garden," "Raw Hide," and 17 more!

Also present at this gathering were David Grisman and Peter Siegel, both 18-year-old New York University students and budding folk musicians who convinced Red and Frank to let them record
an informal session for their learning and listening pleasure.

The session proved to be a watershed event in both their careers. Siegel became a distinguished producer of great music for Elektra Folkways and many other independent record labels. And Grisman (who literally wore out his copies of the tapes learning the tunes note-for-note) went on to produce and play on some of the finest acoustic recordings of the last three decades. The Kitchen Tapes is dedicated to the memory of Red Allen, whose death on April 3, 1993, virtually marked the 30th anniversary of this recording. The Kitchen Tapes offers a rich, intimate glimpse of two great musicians making music for the pure joy of it. It is a must-have for anyone interested in traditional folk and bluegrass artistry."

futrconslr
Apr-20-2004, 11:03am
Thanks for the information....I didnt think to check the web site.

mandopete
Apr-20-2004, 8:00pm
Grisman said this recording was like an encylopedia for bluegrass mandolin playing. I couldn't agree more. If you learned all of the things Frank Wakefield does on this recording, you would be in pretty good shape as a bluegrass mandolin picker!

Brian Ray
Apr-20-2004, 8:31pm
This is one of my favorites. It seem like it may have been a rehearsal for the The Folkways Years: 1964-1983 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005ABLQ/qid=1082510973/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/102-0273363-4914552?v=glance&s=music) record. Absolutely fantastic... a must own.