PDA

View Full Version : Mando Travel Restrictions?

Mattg
Aug-11-2006, 2:32pm
All

The Boulder Daily Camera (Colorado) reported that Nick Amodeo, a mando player for The Otis Taylor Band was not able to carry his mandolin on board for a flight back from London. He said he will ".. no longer be able to carry his instruments on board.."

I'm wondering if this is just for flights from the UK to the US, because these were the focus of the recent terrorist plots, or if this is how it is going to be for all flights for awhile. The article said that he shipped them (more than one?) home by FedEx. I don't know if he was allowed to check them in or not.

If you plan to travel with a mandolin soon, you might want to check in with your airline. I'm traveling with US Air this month and am trying to find out what's going on.

Matt

glauber
Aug-11-2006, 2:43pm
Just use common sense. Right now, if you don't have to fly, then don't. If you have to fly, take nothing or importance. In a few months things should be back to normal.

johnsmusic
Aug-11-2006, 3:07pm
Cool, Otis Taylor Band has a mandolin player! Rootsy blues stuff, very cool. Kinda like Alvin Youngblood Hart #or Guy Davis.

Got8Strings
Aug-11-2006, 3:13pm
I'm flying from Detroit to Boston tomorrow. Right now apart from the basic ban on liquids/gels etc. they are simply asking people to carry on as little as possible to speed the security process. I can't stand the idea of travelling without my mandolin, so I'm taking it. It goes right through the XRay machine in the hardshell case, so I think it will be fine. :fingers crossed:

Givson
Aug-11-2006, 3:17pm
Mandolins have only rarely been used by terrorists. Banjos, on the other hand...

Jim M.
Aug-11-2006, 3:51pm
In England, airlines banned all carry-ons. Here the ban is limited to liquids, for now, but it wouldn't surprise me if all carry-ons became prohibited. That would be a lot simpler than searching everyone for liquids.

Smyers
Aug-11-2006, 3:58pm
I'd love to hear more on the experiences of those that fly with their mandos. #I travel considerably and have been taking my mando on the longer trips with no issues. #Domestic trips shorter than 48 hours I don't bother, as I have no time to play on those anyway. #I take it as a carry-on and no one bats an eye. #I know they give the frequent flyer elite team people a bit more leeway, which I am, but I don't think that has anything to do with traveling with the mando. #Now if I had a double mando case, that would put me over the size restrictions of course.

Some time ago, they did have a ban on some airlines on stringed instruments. #That's supposed to be over now, but things do vary from airline to airline to some degree. #I guess someone could garotte someone with the strings. #It has crossed my mind a few times myself, specifically that obnoxious drunk guy sitting next to me making a butt of himself. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

International flights do have a few more restrictions. #Perhaps that was the issue. #I haven't flown international since before 9-11.

Then there is always the gate attendant issue, which I had once. #Every now and again, you get a loo-loo who gives you some grief about an instrument. #I stood my ground and had to have them call a supervisor to get the OK. #They do have regs that they follow, but when they step over, I do let them know. #Don't let 'em walk on you because they are in a bad mood.

If there are new regs coming out that someone is privy to, I'd love to hear about them before I get to the airport on my next trip!

Elliot Luber
Aug-11-2006, 3:59pm
I have to travel to California on business, and it's too short a trip to take my mando which is sad enough, but I wanted to stash my laptop in my suitcase, but my boss is against that idea because it might get stolen. I can't image a checked mandolin is all that safe either, unless you insure it and ship it to the airport. I would never Fed-X my mando ahead to a hotel. Too many things get lost at hotels.

Smyers
Aug-11-2006, 4:01pm
Jim M.,

You posted about that same time I did. I did not know that about UK flights.

Even the business traveller can't carry on their laptops or sensitive papers? That's a big problem for a lot of people. Glad I am not doing international any more.

Mattg
Aug-11-2006, 4:04pm
Jeff

Please let us know how it goes.

Johnsmusic

I'm on Rhapsody listening to Otis Taylor. Cool stuff but have not heard a mandolin yet. Hmm... The newspaper article couldn't be inaccurate could it? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

mandroid
Aug-11-2006, 4:17pm
If its enough trouble for enough business class travelers, as they are the full fare ticket price travelers, and they squalk, ... It should change back before too long , Not doing business on the laptop while waiting loses money. or are they all playing videogames on them?
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

August Watters
Aug-11-2006, 4:27pm
I'm flying from Boston to Portland OR tomorrow -- I've heard the restrictions at Logan are that no carry-ons are allowed. I'm stuffing a big suitcase full with my mandolin in the middle of clothing. Fingers crossed!

TeleMark
Aug-11-2006, 5:09pm
In England, airlines banned all carry-ons. Here the ban is limited to liquids, for now, but it wouldn't surprise me if all carry-ons became prohibited. That would be a lot simpler than searching everyone for liquids.
I'll be happy to check my luggage when the airlines can guarantee that my laptop, iPod, mandolin, and car keys will be waiting for me at the baggage carousel, instead of losing these things the 20% of the time they do when I check any luggage.

Many companies won't allow employees to check their computers for fear of corporate data going missing. I posted this before, but banning carryon luggage will only drive the terrorists to "internalize" explosives. Bottom line - if they want to bring dangerous items (smaller than a banjo...) onto a plane, they will. This is going to sink the airlines right back into bankruptcy as business travellers move more to video/web conferencing, something that I do whenever I can.

Duc Vu
Aug-11-2006, 6:11pm
Pretty soon mandolins will be banned due to the hazardous celluloid http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif Pic from old thread (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=7;t=32924;hl=celluloid+and+ hazard)

Got8Strings
Aug-11-2006, 7:22pm
I'm flying from Boston to Portland OR tomorrow -- I've heard the restrictions at Logan are that no carry-ons are allowed. I'm stuffing a big suitcase full with my mandolin in the middle of clothing. Fingers crossed!
August - I don't think this is true - check out this link from the Logan Airport website:

Explanation of restrictions (http://www.massport.com/about/press_news_airpor3.html)

dough-re-mi
Aug-12-2006, 6:59am
I just flew to and from Logan and Washington Reagan, got home yesterday, carrying my mandolin. I had no problem whatsoever.

August Watters
Aug-12-2006, 8:51am
Great, thanks for letting us know. It was the airline folks on the phone who said "no carry-ons," but you know how overboard they can be.

Off to Logan!

JEStanek
Aug-12-2006, 8:54am
See this thread for similar comments link to travel cases in light of this. (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=8;t=36821;st=0)

Jamie

Pete Braccio
Aug-13-2006, 4:46pm
Hi all,

I just flew from Boston Logan to Monterey (via LA) yesterday. I had no problem carrying on my mando and my son had no problem with carrying on an electric guitar. We did have to check the electric bass because of size issues.

TSA ran the mando and guitar through the X-Ray machine at Logan just like any other carry-on. In LA, everyone's carry-on was inspected before we were allowed on the plane. This included the mandolin and guitar cases.

NEVER put a laptop in checked luggage. I had to get a replacement laptop for a person at work who did this. The person who "inspected" her bag searched it until the power cord and all the other peripherals were found and removed too. TSA very helpfully said that it was my co-workers own fault that her gear got stolen since she should not have packed anything of value.

Feel safer yet?

Pete

mrmando
Aug-13-2006, 7:11pm
I'm flying to Republic of Georgia in October to perform there. I think I'm going to buy a Calton just in case I'm forced to check the mando.

Otis Taylor sometimes plays a Blue Star Mandoblaster. I don't know what his band members play.

rnjl
Aug-13-2006, 8:50pm
In 1997 I lived in Jerusalem for a year and brought my mando over as carry-on luggage. It was an A model, in a shaped case, with a Small Dog case cover that I used with a shoulder strap.

Now, if you really want to have fun, walk through Ben Gurion Airport with a mando case slung over your shoulder- I got stopped about every 10 feet by either a plainclothes or uniformed security officer who wanted me to open up the case. When I finally got to the entry point- all that questioning was BEFORE I got to Customs and security screening to be allowed into the country- the Customs/security/immigration officer told me to take it out of the case fully so she could look into the case.

Well, I learned to say "it's only a mandolin" very confidently in Hebrew.

Neal

Jasper
Aug-13-2006, 9:15pm
Travelling restrictions aside, is there a place where I can listen to Martin's celtic CD (or some sound bites from), Notorious?

Jasper

Got8Strings
Aug-13-2006, 10:23pm
Reporting in....

The only problem I had going through security in Detroit was the guy at the X-Ray machine who left his position to ask if my instrument was a mandolin, and if he could see it - pure curiosity, not security related. Needless to say there was nobody waiting in this line, and the police officer nearby didn't look thrilled that the guy left his post. But I showed it to him and he mentioned he had just bought an electric bass.

A team of about 10 TSA officers were re-inspecting everyone at the gate, but again, no problem.

Dan Cole
Aug-13-2006, 10:35pm
I just flew back from a cruise this weekend and I have to admit not having to fight for luggage space, or with fellow travellers and their luggage was wonderful. I'm all for no carry ons with some exceptions such as; brief cases (laptops), medical stuff (CPAPs), fragiles (Musical Intruments). Cell Phones, Ipod etc were all fine to carry onboard domestically. Deplaning was faster thanever!

Unless you want to buy toiletries at the destination and toss 'em when you head home, its going to force checked bags for most travellers.

I'm lovin it! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Palomorado
Aug-14-2006, 12:27pm
I flew YESTERDAY (Sun, August 13) from Memphis to New York via Northwest and had no issues what-so-ever. However, my deodorant was lost to the ages.

August Watters
Aug-14-2006, 12:53pm
No problems carrying the mandolin on at Boston/Logan on Saturday. Arrived safely with mando in hand at Portland OR. Worst part of the trip was the bag inspector suspiciously eying the prescription drug bottles, carefully reading the label, opening them up and poking through the tablets, as if to make sure they were consistent with the label (now they're drug experts?). But otherwise things seem back to normal (or what's come to seem normal).

brunello97
Aug-15-2006, 7:08am
An interesting article in today's NYTimes on musicians and air travel....

http://www.nytimes.com/2006....omepage (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/15/arts/music/15tour.html?hp&ex=1155700800&en=537f5d0f6395eb26&ei=5094&partner=homepage)

Mick

Keith Erickson
Aug-15-2006, 8:28am
Have mandolin will travel...

This past weekend I flew from El Paso to Newark through Phoenix with my bowlback by my side except for just 1 flight. #

On Thursday when all of this broke loose, my first flight from El Paso to Phoenix, the ticket agent at America West took my bowlback away from me and told me that I could claim it at the gate in Phoenix. #I was suprised to see that it was there like she said. #When I flew to Newark there was not a problem taking it on board with me.

Yesertday I flew out of Newark and returned to El Paso through Phoenix. #The bowlback stayed with me the whole time. #

Oh and by the way, I happened to meet a couple of mandolin pickers along the way and a flat picker guitar player.

Musicians are generally the coolest people to travel with

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Jim Hilburn
Aug-15-2006, 8:31am
America West was bad before this new incident.

maynard g. krebs
Aug-15-2006, 8:57am
any one taken a mando to europe recently?

i'm planning on bringing one to crotia via paris in september.

Michael H Geimer
Aug-15-2006, 12:19pm
We got the call last Thursday in from folks in Ohio at 4:30am while we were on our way to the airport. They gave us the news about the events in the UK, and our latest restictions. We had to repack at the check-in gate. Liquids were the issue ... not mandolins thankfully.

We took them seriously and put all our questionable stuff into the checked bags. But, seems a lot of people didn't listen, because I sure saw a lot of expensive cosmetics in the TSA trash bins that morning!

Mid-mo in tow, I made it without issue from SFO to O'Hare to Dayton, and back again just last night.

Long lines for sure, but no hassle about the mandolin at all. Most TSA folks knew what it was, too.

jim simpson
Aug-15-2006, 4:35pm
Perhaps this concern for checking mandolins will spawn a new business: mandolin rentals! I can just see the great variety of "name" mandolins one will be able to rent at your point of destination. I had an invite to go to Ireland next year to play, I may have to check first and see if the rentals will be available by then.

bphowe
Aug-30-2006, 3:39pm
I'm traveling to London from the US in mid-September and will be there for 10 days. I won't be performing, but loath the idea of not having my mandolin to play for 10 whole days. However, I think I loath the idea of checking my precious mandolin on an international flight with connections even more. I haven't seen any posts from anyone who has recently tried traveling to the U.K. carrying on their mandolins. British Airways says no way, no how; check it or leave at home. So, I'm thinking of trying to find a place in London to rent a mandolin. Anyone have any suggestions?

JEStanek
Aug-30-2006, 8:13pm
Is BA making people check computers or book bags? Computers are much more of a potential weapon than an innocent mandolin. It might be worth another call. There's got to be some level of reasonable to this. For finding a mando in London why not PM the PM of Mando Cafe (Dan Beimborn aka danb). Scott is still the King. It's good to be the King.

Jamie

Jamie