PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Order

pettyman
Aug-09-2006, 5:33pm
Hi guys. Made a new Amazon order today - went for some stuff from my wishlist that I haven't really put top of my list before but will vary my collection a bit...

Del McCoury - The Cold Hard Facts
Rowan & Rice - You Were There For Me
Sam Bush - Laps in Seven

I haven't got any Del McCoury yet, No Rowan or Rice, and only the Ice Caps (Peaks of Tulleride) album of Bush's. I'm looking forward to receiving them tomorrow or the next day.

Have I made a good order???

Matt

JonT
Aug-09-2006, 7:00pm
The Sam Bush record is really fine, though "Howlin' at the Moon" remains my favorite. And as a long-time fan of both artists involved, I'm really enjoying the Peter Rowan/Tony Rice record. I hope you do as well. As for me, I'm awaiting arrival of the new Darrell Scott record from Amazon.
Peace - Jon

Joe Dodson
Aug-10-2006, 1:09pm
"You Were There for Me" is a great album. I think Pete Rowan is kind of a love-him-or-hate him proposition, but I happen to love him. Some of his vocals get a little over the top (I usually skip "I'm the wild Mustang"), but on the whole it's great.

gschmidt
Aug-10-2006, 1:23pm
I have a bunch of DMB and LOVE 'em all. I don't have Cold Hard Facts, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

My favorite DMB is Del and The Boys. I listen to that one all the time. I'm finishing my basement and basically have that disc on constant repeat. Not a bad song on it.

I have Laps in Seven too and honestly... I'm a little tired of it already. It's ok, but not one that will stay in my rotation for long. That being said, there are some good tunes that will get some iPod air time I'm sure.

Ken Sager
Aug-10-2006, 2:39pm
The Sam Bush record is really fine, though "Howlin' at the Moon" remains my favorite. And as a long-time fan of both artists involved, I'm really enjoying the Peter Rowan/Tony Rice record. I hope you do as well. As for me, I'm awaiting arrival of the new Darrell Scott record from Amazon.
Peace - Jon
Darrell's Invisible Man CD is terrific. I picked it up at Rockygrass and it's been in my CD player ever since. Not a lot of mandolin on it, but it's a great album.

Fretbear
Aug-11-2006, 9:59am
They've got good books too...Bob Black's "Come hither to go Yonder" and Butch Robbins' "What I Know About What I Know" for two extremely entertaining perspectives on picking banjer fer Bill.....

pettyman
Aug-11-2006, 10:12am
Ooh - I almost bought Come hither go Yonder with the order - pulled out 'cos it upped the price somewhat!

I recently read the "Can't you hear me callin'" biography of monroe - really enjoyed it. I've started to read a lot of biographical stuff. A lot on Cash, Dylan and woody Guthrie too. But I'm now wanting to read more on the bluegrass musicians. What other good books are out there then?

Cheers Matt

reely989
Aug-25-2006, 11:00pm
Sam Bush's new cd is incredible. I had stopped listening to him for about 2 years (I actually listened to him alot more when I still played guitar), but when I got this album I was reminded of his virtuosity. Del is a great singer, and I love his stuff, so that is a good choice. I love Peter Rowan and Tony Rice, but that cd just didn't do it for me. To me, Tony doesn't get to stretch out enough. I always thought that Peter should extend the band. A fiddle would add so much. Still, great singing and playing, just not my cup of tea. Of course, with my strangeness, that could change any time.

Caleb

Uncle Choppy
Aug-28-2006, 6:05pm
I've been a bit fed up today and to cheer mysef up I've done the same thing as Matt but my selections today have veered to the more modern/newgrass end of things:
I've ordered
Bela Fleck's "Drive" and Andy Leftwich's "Ride"
Funnily enough, I've just noticed the similarities in the one-word, travel-related titles!

On a more traditional note, I've also got Norman and Nancy Blake's "Natasha's Waltz" on it's way from the US due to a hearing a tune called "The Toneality" on Mandolin Radio and not being able to get it out of my head.

Matt be sure to let us know what you think of the CDs when you get them.

Cheers
Brendan

John Hill
Aug-29-2006, 4:33pm
Can't go wrong with Cold Hard Facts, great album...maybe that groups best. Del's vocals are top notch & that there mandolin player ain't bad either! Don't know about the other CD's you picked.

Uncle Choppy, "Natasha's Waltz" is a really good pick-up. Love that CD, lots of good pickin' tunes with some of them on the Mandozine tab files for those of us that are "ear training" impaired.

John

gschmidt
Aug-29-2006, 4:37pm
Drive is one of my favorites. Sam's chop is TO DIE FOR on this one.

KevinM
Sep-11-2006, 4:57pm
If, like me, you need to frequently resort to an antidote to the sappy, sweet and all too perfect sounding kind of bluegrass that goes around, I suggest you try the latest hard-core grass recordings are by The Earl Brothers. Straight, no chaser on those. Look for the website and order in complete confidence if you like the hard stuff. Can you spell "authentic"? :^)