PDA

View Full Version : New Voice of Eastman?

jackofall
Aug-09-2006, 5:50am
Now that Gordon has moved on from Eastman, after giving us such great service while he was there, is there an Eastman presence here on MC?

I tend to be loyal as a customer: when I am impressed by a product or service I go back again and again. I also spread the word.

When I bought my Eastman I was influenced by the good reports I read here by people who own/play them. I was also influenced by the fact that someone as knowledgable as Steve at Gianna chose to make Eastman mandos a major part of his business. The other huge factor was the way Gordon stood proudly behind the range and never ducked questions.

I plan to buy another Eastman soon (from TAMCO in Brighton, who gave great service when I bought the first instrument). However, It'd be nice to know that Eastman still have that same interest in their customers and in the customers' perception of the company and its products that was displayed by Gordon.

Also, I have a few questions I'd like to ask before my next purchase. As an Eastman fan I'm sorry Gordon moved onto his new projects. Selfish of me, but meant as a compliment to Gordon. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

JEStanek
Aug-09-2006, 7:40am
I completely agree. Part of Eastman's sucess was the representation by Gordon here (I can say the same for my respect for the Gibson builders due to Big Joe). Steve continues to represent Eastmans well but he's a retailer. Product support/advocacy from the Company goes a long way. I hope someone from Eastman will step up and fill the void.

Jamie

MandoGordon
Aug-09-2006, 7:43am
Jacko,
now it's a best of both worlds situation because you can be a Draleon fan and an Eastman fan. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I talked with my good friend Joe Pritchard over the weekend, he's kind of doing what I did at Eastman now and I mentioned that he needs to check in over here once in a while and he says he has every intention of doing that. Seems they have been very busy trying to keep up with things over there and the forum monitoring thing has been a bit of a low priority. Don't worry about Eastman, they are in fine hands these days and all the things you like about them, high quality hand made products at an affordable price etc. are not going to change. When I left there were some really exciting things in the pipelines so you had better start saving up

Thanks for the nice words, I'm blushing.
Gordon

JEStanek
Aug-09-2006, 9:15am
Class act Gordon! Thanks for following up.

Jamie

jackofall
Aug-09-2006, 3:55pm
Absolutely! Thanks, Gordon. That's very reassuring! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif I look forward to seeing Joe P when he drops in here.

Jamie, I've noticed Big Joe's posts and he certainly does a great job for Gibson's service and PR. I was Gibson-sceptic when I first came to MC. That's largely changed now - mostly due to Joe's posts and the evident enthusiasm showed by the late Charlie D. in what I've read of his words.

I wonder if instrument builders in general realise how important it is to be seen to have pride in what they produce, and to visibly stand behind their product by providing outstanding service. Eastman and Gibson set a fine example. Let's hope both continue to live up to the standards set by Gordon and Big Joe.

Kate D.
Aug-12-2006, 7:54pm
I bought an Eastman 815 about 7 months ago. I had a problem with the neck come up this summer. I had two luthiers look at it, and they both suggested I send it back to Eastman, since it was still under warranty. I was a little concerned, as I had just learned Gordon (who gets rave reviews here) had left the company. But my email was forwarded to a gentleman by the name of Saul Friedgood. He responded promptly, asked me to send the instrument to him @ Eastman. He gave me a head's up when it had arrived, then had his luthier, on site, look at it. He gave me a full report and promised to have it repaired within 3 weeks, better than new. My three weeks is not up yet, but so far I'm very impressed with Eastman's customer service. I'll come back to this thread, and give a follow up report when it's returned to me. So far, so good.

DryBones
Aug-13-2006, 7:45am
Saul has contacted me on a couple issues that I had emailed Gordon about right after he parted from Eastman. Looks like the customer service is still going strong at Eastman. BTW, It looks like Saul is the guy who signed my Certicate of Authenticity on my 604.

JEStanek
Aug-13-2006, 9:48am
Saul is who I talked with when I got my 814 shipped to Steve Perry and then sent to me post Voodoo. He's good people too. I don't think the success of Eastman is solely to Gordon's (whom I admire a great deal) credit. Hear, Hear for Eastman customer service.

Jamie

jackofall
Aug-14-2006, 4:50pm
Great stuff. All very encouraging. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Drat, I wish I could save my pennies faster. I need a 505 or 605!

MandoGordon
Aug-15-2006, 11:05am
You see I totally disagree with that statement. I obviously was responsible for all that success not to mention my work on ending world famine and stopping wars both of which have proved to be equally as successful. I'm thinking of tackling interplanetary travel next so hold onto your seats. It's hard to be humble when you are perfect in every way.....
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
Gordon

JEStanek
Aug-15-2006, 11:45am
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Isn't that the Century Strings slogan... ...perfect in every way.

Jamie

tjg
Aug-15-2006, 11:55am
"... perfect in every way".

I think that was Mary Poppins.

kyblue
Aug-15-2006, 12:38pm
Poppins was 'practically perfect in every way'.

Still part of a greeting ritual between me and my brother-in-law.

Paula

Bill Snyder
Aug-15-2006, 11:22pm
Mac Davis was It's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way.

Elliot Luber
Aug-16-2006, 8:57am
I'd tell you all about Eastman customer service, but I've never needed it. It's a good instrument at a great price. It was well constructed and set-up, shipped well, and held together tightly through a dry winter (yes, I use a humidifier). When I have any complaints, they'll hear all about them.:D

andy.bole
Aug-17-2006, 4:39am
If you have any questions about Eastman please feel free to get in touch.

jackofall
Aug-17-2006, 2:24pm
Still looking forward to hearing from Eastman's new chap. I hope he does getaround to dropping in here.

Kate D.
Sep-01-2006, 6:01pm
Just a follow-up on some great service from Eastman on my 815. It came home this week, and it's terrific. The luthier, Tom, even called me to ask me what guage strings I'd like before he shipped. They did a great job of fixing the problem, promptly, and sending it back to me, all under my warranty. Yay, Saul, yay, Tom, and yay Eastman!

OlderThanWillie
Sep-02-2006, 4:45pm
About two weeks ago I sent an email to the Eastman people using their "contact us" link on their website. I asked a question about their mandolas. No answer yet.

jackofall
Sep-04-2006, 12:51pm
I'm disappointed with the new guy's apparent indifference to the Cafe. He's had a while to get his butt in gear. I think this place has done a lot for Eastman, and in the past Gordon did a lot for Cafe members. His moving on to new things was definitely Eastman's loss.

I guess things change. My opinion of Eastman is certainly not what it was. The regular contact coloured my whole perception of the company.

I'm now considering saving up a little longer and going for a Gibson instead of the Eastman 'f' hole I had in mind. The contact with customers and the PR effort obviously does make that much difference.

Whatever. Trevor's Brighton TAMCO store will still be my first port of call when I'm ready to shop, regardless of whether I decide on Eastman or Gibson.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

dr.jazz
Sep-04-2006, 1:49pm
Joe should return his phone calls.
Gordon was generally busy - a good sign, but he did return calls and e-mails religiously.
Thanks for your great service, Gordon.
See you around.

DryBones
Sep-04-2006, 2:07pm
I also have wrote to the "contact us" address on the Eastman website and never received a reply. I wonder if anybody is checking that email box? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif I do have to say that Saul has always returned my emails so I don't think this is a company-wide issue at this point.

chuck.naill
Sep-04-2006, 5:41pm
I'm disappointed with the new guy's apparent indifference to the Cafe. He's had a while to get his butt in gear. I think this place has done a lot for Eastman, and in the past Gordon did a lot for Cafe members. His moving on to new things was definitely Eastman's loss.

My perception is that things at Eastman were shaken up either just prior to or after Gordan left.

Also,Eastman is a diversified company with several business units.

chuck

jackofall
Nov-08-2006, 11:06am
Oh well, they had their chance.

Just in case anyone from Eastman does read the board, and wonders how much difference a bit of contact in the old Gordon style makes...

... The fund I'm saving for my new bluegrass mando has way passed the price of the Eastman I was going for. Looks like a Gibson for me then.

At least they care enough to talk to us.

Uncle Choppy
Nov-08-2006, 6:10pm
Just in case anyone from Eastman does read the board, and wonders how much difference a bit of contact in the old Gordon style makes...
Jackofall
Seeing as you're in the UK.

I've just read on the mandolin.org.uk forum that Trevor from TAMCO has just been out to visit the Eastman factory in Beijing.

It would be great if he were to have some kind of "official" role with Eastman (at least for UK customers) as my experience talking to and buying from Trevor has been entirely positive.

I know that he sells other makers instruments at TAMCO but he seems to keep the ranges from overlapping too much (e.g. at the >£1000 level, preferring to stock Czech instruments rather than Eastman 9 series) so an "official Eastman representative" post might not be too much of a clash of loyalties.

Of course, Trevor might prefer not to be officially connected to any manufacturer, so this is all rather academic.

Besides which, he'd probably persuade them to ship all mandos with J75s and egg-slicer actions - arghhh!

Brendan

PS: I'm sure that the Gibsons are nice mandolins but you might also want to look at some of the Czech makers (Lebeda, Capek etc.) as providing top-quality instruments at more UK-friendly prices. I'm really enjoying my Lebeda F5 that I got (from Trevor).

trevor
Nov-09-2006, 10:15am
I am still catching up with things after my China trip. I will post some photos of the Eastman factory when I have time and I've got lots of them on my website, probably about a week.

As it happens I am now considering stocking the 900 series. I am not in a position to represent Eastman for several reasons. As you say I stock many mandolins (nearly 250 at the last count) and I wouldn't always advise a customer that Eastman is the right choice for them. It depends on their wants and needs. Furch do great mandos in the same price range to mention one.

Its also worth pointing out that is is a very rare thing for a manufacturer or distributor to have a representative that takes part in discussion boards. Few manufactureres or distributors have someone that has a personal interest which is vital for such discussion. I am sue I am not the only one who misses Peter Mix's (Rigel) contributions. Other contributors in 'the bisuness' tend to be individual makers, again enthusiasts..

Ted Eschliman
Nov-09-2006, 10:53am
Hmm...

Interesting that the degree of participation on the Cafe Message Board is considered a measuring stick of instrument worthiness. Not to take for granted the participation of the great builders on the Cafe, but I think there are some quality shops that spend more time and energy making things than typing on the computer.

Their input here is very much appreciated, but personally, I consider it all a bonus, not a "given." We might keep in mind (not to risk losing my high wage job as moderator...) there actually is life outside the Cafe (http://www.mandolincafe.com/archives/lastpage.html).

trevor
Nov-09-2006, 11:01am
Hmmm,
I hadn't considered that... Is that life worth living??? Wha d y do???

jackofall
Nov-09-2006, 12:01pm
Hmm...

Interesting that the degree of participation on the Cafe Message Board is considered a measuring stick of instrument worthiness. Not to take for granted the participation of the great builders on the Cafe, but I think there are some quality shops that spend more time and energy making things than typing on the computer.

Their input here is very much appreciated, but personally, I consider it all a bonus, not a "given." We might keep in mind (not to risk losing my high wage job as moderator...) there actually is life outside the Cafe (http://www.mandolincafe.com/archives/lastpage.html).
I wouldn't say that degree of participation necessarily reflects on the worthiness of the mando. However, for a company thay *has* had a very active presence here I think it may, rightly or wrongly, give an impression about their commitment to customer service and attention to detail.

I love my Eastman, and wouldn't part with it. I'm looking for a companion for it, not a replacement!

eastcarterman
Nov-09-2006, 12:13pm
i LOVE Lebeda mandos.

a local store here in my area is one of the only stateside dealers and i love stopping into his store to play a few of the dozen Lebedas he has on the walls. very nice! and LOUD.

that being said... i own an Eastman 615 and one of the reasons i bought it in March '05 was because Gordon was so helpful. i may have bought an Eastman anyhow, but Gordon's presence here sealed the deal.

olgraypat
Nov-09-2006, 3:05pm
Not wanting to bring up an old subject, but what ever happened to the "design a new Eastman logo" contest? Sorry if this was decided and/or resolved and I just missed it, but I'm curious...

jackofall
Nov-09-2006, 3:19pm
*snip* ... i own an Eastman 615 and one of the reasons i bought it in March '05 was because Gordon was so helpful. i may have bought an Eastman anyhow, but Gordon's presence here sealed the deal.
Precisely. It made a big difference - one that is currently not there.

jackofall
Nov-09-2006, 3:25pm
Trevor, I think I read that the Furch mando tops are pressed rather than carved. Do you know anything about that?

If it were the case, might it make the tops more prone to sinking over time and with vaying humidity?

trevor
Nov-09-2006, 4:18pm
21 and 22 series Furch mandolins have pressed cedar tops. I dont see why that would mean they were more prone to sinking. The 23 series are carved spruce tops. They all have immaculate finishing and sound great.

James P
Nov-09-2006, 5:23pm
If Eastman would simply answer questions on *THEIR OWN FORUM* (ahem) I think that'd go a long way toward showing a commitment to customer service. #Expecting them to maintain a presence here seems a bit myopic considering what a wide world web it is.

jackofall
Nov-09-2006, 6:16pm
Thanks, Trevor.

Maybe I'll come take a look soon. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

tin ben dur
Nov-09-2006, 10:17pm
Ted, if I owned a business like Eastman in the mandolin business. I would certainly have someone full time just on the Mandolin Cafe all the time. Eastman makes plenty of money to keep someone on the computer 24/7 to answer questions and post. My .02