PDA

View Full Version : Bohmann violin with sympathetics

BrucePHammond
Aug-07-2006, 8:01pm
Found out that EADGBE-Jazz on eBay sold a Bohmann violin with internal metal bars on it, like the modern Bohmann mandolin posted July 26 by Dan B.

Did ANYone here happen to see it during the auction and save some photos of it?

Thank you.

hambonepicker

Jim Garber
Aug-07-2006, 10:03pm
Thanks hambonepicker! That is the seller. Now I know that I am not completely crazy. I remember that one but I don't believe that I saved any pics of it. I recall that most of those were in sad shape and were missing all of their hardware.

Jim

BrucePHammond
Aug-07-2006, 11:11pm
Just as many of the other instruments were missing hardware... I just didn't believe it would happen, in a violin. Only takes one odd specimen to prove my idea wrong. There couldn't have been many of them...
It's so beyond my imagination : crates, countless crates, of violins, guitars, mandolins, harp guitars, and what have you.
I need some ideas on what publications to avertise in for seeking those who participated in the lost factory sale(s) and how to persuade those holding Bohmann paper (records) to let me see their papers.
hambonepicker

Jim Garber
Aug-08-2006, 7:02am
I assume that you have been in touch with EADGBE-Jazz about what he has and knows. He is still selling this <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-100-year-Old-Violin-full-size-4-4-Item-4_W0QQitemZ150018238433QQihZ005QQcategoryZ3810

8QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">oddball Maggini copy</a>.

I was going to suggest Maestronet as a possible place to post about Bohmann violins but the site does not seem to be up at this moment.

Jim

BrucePHammond
Aug-08-2006, 7:08am
Yep. Only has 2 or 3 left and that will be all. This model is the kind a luthier saw a crate full of and passed on them; he thought they were ugly. Not a premium grade Bohmann, but he made about 7 different grades. I did not have a watch on Bohmann a year ago when he sold the one with metal rods. And usually don't have a connection at work, but do at the moment. He sold some nice parlor guitars about a year ago, too. No tuners.
hambonepicker

Jim Garber
Aug-08-2006, 7:19am
According to Henley:

Twelve grades of these 'artist-violins', priced from 40 to 500 dollars. Also a 'consummate solo-violin' of own model (combining Maggini and Guarneri traits), old mountain-spruce, wondrously-marked maple, and golden varnish. Catalogued at 1,000 dollars.

I have Roy Ehrhardts 3 volume spiral bound books which have 3 Bohmann catalog pages circa 1900. No mention of the tuning bars tho.

I would contact Gregg Miner since he is a thorough researcher on things harp guitar. He would know prob as much as about anyone about Bohmann.

Jim

BrucePHammond
Aug-08-2006, 9:12am
Got you. Or you got me. Go to Gregg's Bohmann page and see the bottom 4 harp guitars I came across last fall (previously unknown forms, but perhaps every Bohmann harp was unique). Gregg is a bit of an inspiration to me, seeing what he has done on the site. What got me started was seeing the same old info repeatedly, it was so and so says, and I got tired of it and started to dig for myself. That and that nobody would tell me anything new. Digging is fun, especially when you find the odd fact that was previously forgotten. Some of the digging costs money, but when you can meet people online and find out new facts, it is fun because the cost is so low.

Rich Myers has the only known Bohmann catalog, which I think was never published publicly. He is credited on Gregg's site since he gave Gregg permission to publish select portions of the catalog. Parlor guitar sizes in the Bohmann catalog bear no resemblance to the sizes of the actual guitars in circulation. This last fact comes from Rich himself.
Your pages from 1900, Tuning bars patented 1914-15, forget the date, any experimental instruments before then would be exceedingly difficult to date. Would like to see your catalog pages sometime.

There are still a lot of facts waiting to be discovered out there.
All for now.
Hambonepicker

BrucePHammond
Aug-08-2006, 9:20am
This is unrelated. I notice most people on this board seem to use an initial and their last name, or perhaps an abbreviated name indicating an affiliation with a publication or club, if you will.
Should I change my username to indicate my real name? I am in the habit of using this username I have from time to time, so I just stuck with it. I am not too concerned about cloaking my identity from anyone.
hambonepicker

Jim Garber
Aug-08-2006, 9:55am
Maybe HBPicker. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Nah, keep it that way, if you like. Ther are no rules. If you do want to be addressed by your real name you could just sign it at the bottom.

Jim

PS it looks like you and I are the only ones adding to this thread.

BrucePHammond
Aug-08-2006, 10:18am
s'ok if no one else seems interested. While not nearly experienced as some people who contribute to this board, I am fascinated with many things the people discuss here. I find a certain resonance that I like here... And I just realized that I needed to find more resonance, it helps the motivation.
So if something resonates with you, respond. Or point me in a certain direction if you think I may need to go there. Fretted instruments rule!
thx,
Hambonepicker

usqebach
Aug-08-2006, 9:20pm
I bought one of those Bohmann violins EADGBE is selling. Actually I bought two, kept one, sent the one with the raised purfling back.

The one I kept (though later sold to my fiddle teacher) wasn't that bad, but fairly loud and tinny. On the raised purfling one, the workmanship seemed haphazard at best.

The seller was quite good, honest, and worked with me through an issue (can't quite remember what it was, but the fix was a free look at the second Bohmann with option to buy for $100.)

Not much relevance to the resonating bars, but thought I'd chime in.

drygrass1
Jul-22-2014, 12:57pm
I bought one of those Bohmann violins EADGBE is selling. Actually I bought two, kept one, sent the one with the raised purfling back.

The one I kept (though later sold to my fiddle teacher) wasn't that bad, but fairly loud and tinny. On the raised purfling one, the workmanship seemed haphazard at best.

The seller was quite good, honest, and worked with me through an issue (can't quite remember what it was, but the fix was a free look at the second Bohmann with option to buy for $100.)

Not much relevance to the resonating bars, but thought I'd chime in.

I have the violin with steel roods inside.workmanship excellent.beautiful fluted f holes.del gesu style.played it for 10 years in a bluegrass band. drygrass1