PDA

View Full Version : Sam Bush as sideman

AlanN
Aug-07-2006, 7:07am
In going back to the discussion of Sideman Sam (Sideshow Bob? #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif ), I find his most compelling work (to me) to be that of a band member taking memorable solos. I admit to not knowing (owning) all of his leader efforts, and they are sure to be great in their own right. I'll list what I know of, with solos I think are kick a$$.

Mark O'Connor - Berserkley, Pickin in the Wind
Tony Rice - Little Sadie, Old Train, Me and My Guitar, Mar West, lots more
John Hartford - Gentle on My Mind
Bobby Hicks - Big Mon, Snowflake Reel
Butch Robbins - 40 Years Late, Monkey In the Garden

What else?

fredfrank
Aug-07-2006, 7:55am
All I know is that any time I hear Sam on another artists recording, I don't have to read the credits to see who is playing. How many other mandolin players can you say that about?

JimRichter
Aug-07-2006, 8:14am
All you have to do is look at Sam's discography at his website to see all the sideman/studio stuff he's done.

There was the several years he was with Emmylou and the Nash Ramblers.

There was the great Tut Taylor, Butch Robins, Jethro Burns, Norman Blake, Vassar Clements project.

He was on all three of Butch Robins' Rounder albums (40 Years Later, Fragments of my Imagicnation, and The 5th Child)

He's been on a few if not several of Peter Rowan's albums.

Several of Hartford's albums--his soloing on Sly Feel and John McLaughnlin (as well as Tall Buildings) are of particular note.

He appeared on Sammy Shelor's solo album (can't remember the name, was it Forward Roll?), as well as solo album's by Jeff Autry, John Cowan, Bela Fleck, Jerry Douglas, Doc Watson, and Johnny Staats.

And he was also a part of Lyle Lovett's band for awhile.

It's just too #cumbersome to list everything. #I'd say that Sam really has been heard my more people than any other mandolinist living or dead. #Thing is, a lot of people just wouldn't know that it was Sam they had heard. His studio work is so prolific and as FredFrank said, instantly recognizable. Sam's feel/style is so unique that I always feel he instantly owns anything he plays on.

Jim

batman
Aug-07-2006, 8:16am
Alan, how about Sam's fiddle kickoff to nine lb hammer on the Manzanita LP? Got to be one of my all time favs. Don

AlanN
Aug-07-2006, 8:44am
Don, agreed on that one also. That's what I am looking for, others' opinions on memorable solos/kickoffs, and not so much a re-hash of his recorded work down through the years, which a simple web search could provide, as has been pointed out.

Any others?

fishdawg40
Aug-07-2006, 8:54am
The Aereoplane Reunion Show (which could be had from bluegrassbox.com) has many good solos by Bush (and Compton). #One that sticks out though is "Good Ole' Boys." #Great stuff! #It seems so effortless. #Another great solo (many great solos) where he is is not side man but co-creator is the Dawg/Bush collaboration "Hold On We're Strummin'" #The track; "'Cept Old Bill." #That tune encapsulates both of their styles.

swampstomper
Aug-07-2006, 8:57am
Kenny Baker "Frost on the Pumpkin", especially "Make a Little Boat". As fredfrank says, no need to read the credits! Who else gets that punchy sound and who else has such a selection of notes?

Another favourite is with Doc Watson on Doc's BG album "Riding the Midnight Train" from 1984 (!!!). "Stone's Rag" shows just how Sam approaches a fiddle tune.

Steve Perry
Aug-07-2006, 8:58am
Sam takes a break on Granny White Special from Mark O'Connors New Nashville Cats CD that still makes the hair on my arms stand up. #You can hear a little bit of it here...

Sam's a pickin' (http://sg1.allmusic.com/cg/smp.dll?link=nvus17nhjz3uln5y1pvzj73&r=20.asx)

Steve Perry

AlanN
Aug-07-2006, 9:26am
Perfect boys, keep them Sam breaks a comin!

Scotti Adams
Aug-07-2006, 9:40am
Sammys kick off on "You Should Have Learned" on Manzanita and the KO on "Walls Of Time" off of Rowans First Whipoorwill...

mandopete
Aug-07-2006, 9:44am
I really liked the solo he does on David Peterson's New Pair of Glasses and all of the solos on Alison Brown's Fair Weather project.

But my hands-down favorite would have to be The Open Road on Bela Fleck's "Drive" CD. #I imagine that Sam must have played a big part in the writing of that tune as he has the intro and that melody is custom tailored to his unique style.

AlanN
Aug-07-2006, 9:57am
John Hardy solo on Rice's Cold On The Shoulder.

And I always dug his way, on an extended solo, of playing around on the first half, then nailing a mostly melodic figure on the second half, like he does on Berserkley. I keep going back to that tune, but give it a listen, it's stellar. John McGann tabbed that out for me in 1987 (very well done, I might add) and I still to this day go back to it and work on pieces. It's a tour de force.

Russ Jordan
Aug-07-2006, 12:53pm
Get Up John on Live At The Ryman. Haven't had it out lately, but seems like they did it in maybe G instead of D?

batman
Aug-07-2006, 1:27pm
How about the break on jailhouse blues, from the Ronnie bowman cd (the man i'm tryin to be)? Gotta love it, Classic Sam. Don

AlanN
Aug-07-2006, 1:32pm
Arkansas Traveller on an old Blaine Sprouse record. His drive and virtuosity shine. I mean, I can get the notes, but...

Christian
Aug-07-2006, 3:01pm
Sam played mandolin on an album by French banjo player Philippe Bourgeois, on all tracks. It's worth looking for the lp (called "Nashville" on the ADA label, recorded in the mid 80s), you might find it on ebay, it's Sam Bush at his best and you'll also hear some great singing by pat Enright and Roland White, Blaine Sprouse on fiddle (not to mention Philippe's banjo playin', top-notch)

johnhgayjr
Aug-07-2006, 3:02pm
Peter Rowan - The First Whippoorwill
Bela Fleck - Drive

Sam plays mando on both - great on both. #Straight ahead traditional bluegrass on Whippoorwill and rockin' bluegrass instrumentals on Drive.

John Gay
Memphis
www.harddrivebluegrass.com (http://www.harddrivebluegrass.com)

kyblue
Aug-07-2006, 3:44pm
He appeared on Sammy Shelor's solo album (can't remember the name, was it Forward Roll?)

Leading Roll.

Now, there's my idea of heaven. Sammy and Sam. Mmmmm.

Paula http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

mrmando
Aug-07-2006, 4:36pm
Leads are great and all, but Sam's rhythm playing is 2nd to none.

SternART
Aug-07-2006, 6:02pm
Coupla great cuts on Hop Skip & Wobble.........stellar CD by Barenberg, Douglas & Meyer.

John Goodin
Aug-07-2006, 7:12pm
Back in 1992 the Newsletter of the CMSA published my "Sam Bush, 1969-1985: a partial discography." You can read a PDF copy of it here:
http://academic.luther.edu/~goodinjo/bushdisc06.pdf

I remember I compiled it mostly from things I had in my collection at the time and from going carefully through record reviews in Bluegrass Unlimited, Frets, Pickin', Mandolin World News and other magazines. I'm sure I missed plenty and Sam's definitely been real busy since then.

John G.

Gotterdamerung
Aug-11-2006, 12:20pm
I know you mentioned Me and My Guitar, but one noteworthy solo stands out therein--in "Port Tobacco"--it has all the great texture of a Sam Bush solo: speed, grace, light and lilting and perfect for the song (and a great percursor to Vassar's beautiful solo later in the song).

AlanN
Aug-11-2006, 1:35pm
Absolutely, a wonderful tune and wonderful solos all around. What key is it in, do you know?

Tipper is another good one, but Port Tobacco is, as they say today, da Bomb!

Gary S
Aug-11-2006, 3:26pm
I prefer his work as a sideman rather than playing with his own band. He did a great show at UNC with Doc Watson about 4 5 years ago (subtle, full of nuance and taste)then I went to see him in Greensboro at The Carolina theater and felt like I was at a Lynard Skinard concert. I am sure many others felt differently.

cooper4205
Aug-12-2006, 1:01pm
i got to see sam and doc at bonnaroo a few years back, they really compliment each other well. he played the whole second set with doc. you can buy it at livebonnaroo.com, it was from the 2004 festival

i'd say the sam bush band would be more along the lines of allman bros. than skynyrd http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

tattiemando
Aug-13-2006, 11:09pm
I saw Sam Bush at Rockygrass 2002 in Lyons Colorado,he played music in his own band,with doc Watson ,he played in an all star jam and maybe one other grouping .Mr Bush was fantastic that weekend. I will never forget his contribution that year at Rockygrass. His playing is so strong and true, his tone i just love.He is a great entertainer in my opinion .

howbahmando
Sep-01-2006, 12:22am
if you search around youtube there's plenty of songs with him backing up Emmylou Harris to look at.

TeleMark
Sep-01-2006, 10:13am
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0000658AR.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V65930393_.jpg

I love Jorma, but it's his backup band (Sam, Bela Fleck, Jerry Douglas, Byron house) and his song selection that make this one of my most favorite albums ever.

Sam really gets the old-tyme vibe in this album. Great, tasteful playing.

fwoompf
Sep-01-2006, 11:27am
He plays rhythm on a couple tracks of my teacher Jason Dennie's CD Just Enough

Here's one off his website: http://jasondennie.com/images/Just_Enough-Runaway_Horse.mp3

Cool song http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

gr_store_feet
Sep-01-2006, 12:13pm
Don't forget the Short Trip Home CD. Edgar Meyer, Mike Marshall, Joshua Bell. 'BP' has so good work on it and 'Death by Triple Fiddle' is really fun.

Rroyd
Sep-04-2006, 9:19am
One of my all-time favorites was his break on "Washington County" on Butch Robins' "Forty Years Late" project.

evanreilly
Sep-04-2006, 3:57pm
Sam 'n Alan: 'together again'?

Philip Halcomb
Sep-08-2006, 10:28am
There's also an album out there by Dan Crary called "Guitar". It's pretty awesome and features a lot of Sam's mandolin playing. The Stanley Brother's Medley and the Bill Monroe Medley on that album are awesome. If you like to hear good bluegrass guitar playing too, it doesn't get much better than Dan Crary too. Also, be aware he released an album in the 70s or 80s called "Bluegrass Guitar" which features no mandolin unfortunately. But the newer album called "Guitar" is all about Dan and Sam. Enjoy...

kvk
Sep-08-2006, 2:22pm
Yeah but did he play pedal steel on CSNY "Teach your Children"? Huh? Did he? Did he? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Just injecting humor.

I listen to a bunch of Sam stuff mentioned above, but still not near enough, and have seem him live and he is without question an exceptional musician as frontman or sideman, live or in the studio.

Oh, and on Tuesday, you can catch Sam at noon on www.wvdx.com (http://www.wvdx.com)

Internet is wierd ain't it. I live in MA and my favorite radio stations is in TN.

Elliot Luber
Sep-10-2006, 3:51pm
Anyone catch Sam and Emmylou on Leno last week? I was watching just before hand and must have fallen asleep.

Phillip Tigue
Oct-23-2008, 9:56am
I know you mentioned Me and My Guitar, but one noteworthy solo stands out therein--in "Port Tobacco"--it has all the great texture of a Sam Bush solo: speed, grace, light and lilting and perfect for the song (and a great percursor to Vassar's beautiful solo later in the song).

Anyone know where the tab is for this tune?

-Ol' Phil

Alex Orr
Oct-23-2008, 10:40am
John Hardy solo on Rice's Cold On The Shoulder.
Good gracious yes! That is one of my favorite mando solos ever.

His work on the first Alison Krauss album is also among my favorite stuff from Sam.

Pete Martin
Oct-23-2008, 10:42am
I've long been more attracted to Sams sideman efforts rather than ensemble efforts, with the exception of Sam and Alan, Together Again for the First Time.

I'll submit:

All the fiddle solos on Bela Flecks first rounder Album (Crossin the Tracks??)
OMAC2, Mark O'Connor, Sam, Byron Berline, hot as hell
On the Butch Robbins record 40 Yrs late, Washington County is my fav

For More Monroe style playing
Peter Rowan , The First Whipporwill

AlanN
Oct-23-2008, 10:54am
Wow, an old thread...

Ol' Phil - get with John McGann. He is a transcribing whiz.

Pete - forgot about Crossin the Tracks, what a great record for Bela. Agree that Sam was the man on this. The mandolin work by Bob Applebaum is also terrific.

Phillip Tigue
Oct-23-2008, 11:13am
Thanks alan.

Bill Van Liere
Oct-23-2008, 11:37am
Hi Alan

Yes, an old thread, but it is the first time I've seen it.

First Sam solo that comes to my mind is Tipper, off whatever Tony Rice album that was. Me and My Guitar I think.

Another is on the Bela Fleck recording Drive where they play a tune that sound really close to the old fiddle tune Off to California, which is usually played in G but on their recording is in A. Great tone by Sam with just right triplets also.

AlanN
Oct-23-2008, 11:46am
First Sam solo that comes to my mind is Tipper, off whatever Tony Rice album that was. Me and My Guitar I think.

Hi Bill,

Yep, Tipper and Port Tobacco both on MAMG. There is a youtube of Rice band (with Gaudreau) from the late 80's/early 90's I suppose, where they do this number - Tipper. Great tune. Port Tobacco is so cool too.

I re-read the whole thread, and mon ami Christian actually sent me that banjo record he talked about. It is terrific, and Sam really shines on it.

mandolirius
Oct-23-2008, 12:54pm
I like his playing on John Hartford's version of "Gentle On My Mind". I also like the way Hartford says "Sam-my Bush" partway through his solo. :)

Benevolent Dick
Oct-23-2008, 1:49pm
I was blase' about Sam's mandolin work on Lonesone Fiddle Blues from the green Starday Newgrass Revival record, having heard it hundreds of times.
Imagine my surprise when I tried to capture the arrangement note-for-note!!! Holy ####!
Astounding playing.

Mike S

Phillip Tigue
Oct-23-2008, 2:20pm
Oh Sam....Saaaaaaammy Bush

John Rosett
Oct-23-2008, 2:55pm
Sam played on a Doc and Merle Watson album called "Pickin the blues", I think. His mandolin solo on "Hobo Bill's last ride" is one of my favorites.

pocketbones
Oct-23-2008, 3:18pm
get you a dose of Sam on Tony Trischka's recently (Tuesday oct 21st) re-released record "Hill Country." Sam plays on about 2/3rds and kills it. it was recorded in the early 80's and features Fleck, Douglas, Rice, McCoury among others.

straight up bluegrass

AlanN
Oct-23-2008, 3:44pm
I was blase' about Sam's mandolin work on Lonesone Fiddle Blues from the green Starday Newgrass Revival record, having heard it hundreds of times.
Imagine my surprise when I tried to capture the arrangement note-for-note!!! Holy ####!
Astounding playing.

I *agonized* over that whole solo when I was just starting out. That and his rocking break on Great Balls of Fire.

Dave Peters, in his Masters of the Mandolin 'oeuvre', noted out several of Sam's breaks over the years, many from Tony Rice sessions. He (Peters) accurately captured the up-front flurries to Gasology, before the actual melody. Also, the wonderful playing on Mar West.

mandopete
Oct-23-2008, 4:51pm
I've long been more attracted to Sams sideman efforts rather than ensemble efforts, with the exception of Sam and Alan, Together Again for the First Time.

Hey Pete - nice avatar, is that the Calton version of the Gilchrist mandolin?

:)

pigpen
Oct-24-2008, 8:15am
I just got the new Charlie Hayden CD, "Rambling Boy", which is pretty cool and worth checking out. Charlie (a pretty famous jazz bassist) grew up in a family band a la the Carters, and with this CD he gets back to his country roots. Sam does some great work there, in the "I don't even have to check the credits, I know who it is" mode. He can make simple rhythm parts sparkle (though of course Jerry Douglas, Ricky Skaggs, Russ Barenberg et al don't really hurt the CD either).

Steve Williams
Oct-24-2008, 11:59am
I always liked his kickoff and break on "Teardrops In My Eyes" on Doug Dillard's "Jackrabbit" album.

AlanN
Oct-24-2008, 12:15pm
That above one reminded me of a terrific break he takes on 'Last Old Shovel', sung by the lovely and talented Ray Park, on an old Live at Telluride thing.