PDA

View Full Version : If you had one hour.......

giverin
Aug-05-2006, 1:02am
If you could spend one hour, with ANY mandolin player, who would it be, why, and what would you do in this hour?

Personally it would be an hour with Sam Bush so he could teach me some of those strange rhythm's he enjoys playing.
Mike

P.S this is in no way intended to be a competition between the professional mandolin players, merely a way to see other players' aspirations and admirations.

arbarnhart
Aug-05-2006, 7:10am
I would pick Rich DelGrosso and work on blues licks. I enjoy a lot of styles, but instruction in other styles is more accessible (in NC, you can't swing your mandolin around without hitting someone who can teach you how to chop) and I really enjoy Rich's music. Plus I have read posts by people who have recieved instruction from him and they are all very positive.

Dan Margolis
Aug-05-2006, 7:28am
I actually spent an hour, with Roland White in Nashville in March. #A great hour--nothing written down, but a wealth of good advice, good attitude, and friendly encouragement. #If you're in Nashville, look him up. He played guitar with Bill Monroe, and mandolin with Lester Flatt. #Not to mention his years with the Nashville Bluegrass Band and Country Gazette. #And his brother was none other than the great Clarence White. His website: Roland's webpage (http://www.rolandwhite.com/index.htm)

John Flynn
Aug-05-2006, 7:55am
I would want to spend an hour with the person who had the teaching skills to improve me the most as a player. That may not be the person whose playing I admire the most. The best hour of instruction I have ever spent was with Jody Stecher. Regardless of whether you are a fan of his or not, that guy knows how to teach, one-on-one. He says, "Play something that's easy for you to play." And then, "Play something you find difficult." He watches you play, analyzes your technique and says, "OK, here's what you need to work on..." Then he coaches you on that thing and you walk away from that very lesson permanently a better player.

I will spend an hour with my favorite mandolin player, Curtis Buckhannnon, tomorrow night, as I have many nights over the last two years. I will watch some unique and amazing playing close up. I will learn some tunes, pick up some techniques and most importantly, have some laughs. Hours playing with Curtis are the most enjoyable hours of instruction I have ever spent. It's just amazing watching what he can do. If I ever have the chance, I will do the same with Skip Gorman, Clyde Curley and Bruce Ling.

chuck.naill
Aug-05-2006, 8:29am
If you could spend one hour, with ANY mandolin player, who would it be, why, and what would you do in this hour?

While Norman is not an acclaimed mandolin player when compared to Sam Bush or Mike Compton, I would really enjoy being with Mr.Blake to learn as much as possible from a great multi intrumentalist.

chuck

Daniel Nestlerode
Aug-05-2006, 12:27pm
Interesting question, but more or less moot for me. #Becuase I attend the Mandolin Symposium every year, I get to spend 9 or 10 hours a day for an entire week with my favorite mandolin players. #Limitations arise though, there were this year 164 other folks doing the same thing, so the content of the lessons was predetermined rather than individually requested. #Nevertheless, Grisman and company were open to any and all questions. #[I'm not trying to advertize and I don't have any financial interest in the Mandolin Symposium, it just struck me as an obvious tie-in to the thread.]

Still, if I could get one of those guys to sit doown with me alone for an hour, I guess I would pick Mike Compton. #I would ask him about his philosophy of playing. #I know he's the greatest living exponent of the Monroe style, but I'm not really interested in that. #I'm interested in what he's thinking about when he plays (especiallly when he improvises), how he stays so relaxed (in comparison to Mike Marshall and Chris Thile who seem to huddle around their instruments), and what about his own playing gives him the most pleasure.

Think that'll cover an hour? #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Daniel

JGWoods
Aug-05-2006, 12:32pm
I'd spend an hour with Brad Leftwich, and he doesn't even play the mandolin- heck of a fiddler though and that's where most everything I do on mandolin comes from.
I learned the mandolin first, but now the fiddle is teaching me mandolin.

John Flynn
Aug-05-2006, 1:09pm
I guess I would pick Mike Compton. I would ask him about his philosophy of playing.
You should really try to take one of his all day workshops, which he seems to give a few times a year, even if you have to travel to get there, as I did. You will get what you asked for and a lot more. I only wish he would send out pre-work for his workshops, so participants could be more prepared. It all comes at you so fast, it's like "drinking from a firehose."

Jim Broyles
Aug-05-2006, 1:35pm
Either Doyle Lawson or Ricky Skaggs. If you pressed me, I'd say Doyle. I'd just get him to show me how he plays "Shady Grove" so doggone fast! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

luckylarue
Aug-05-2006, 6:02pm
Mike Compton or Andy Statman or Butch Baldassari or...

sgarrity
Aug-05-2006, 6:05pm
Mike Compton -- And we'd spend the whole hour on my right hand. I have been to one of his workshops and it was very informative

Dena Haselwander
Aug-05-2006, 6:43pm
Peter Ostroushko--the joy that sounds in his music; I'd like to witness that.

JEStanek
Aug-05-2006, 8:38pm
From what I have heard about him, and his style which I really enjoy, Tim O'Brien. I actually hope to got to Mandolin Symposium in two years (my wife has already planned next summers West Coast trip) where I can have more time with so many inspirational players.

Jamie

otterly2k
Aug-05-2006, 9:08pm
I think I'd have to pick Andy Irvine...

mandogrrl
Aug-05-2006, 9:14pm
I got to take workshops with Sam Bush, Rich DelGrosso and Roland White at Mandolin Camp North. I'd probably take an hour with Sam Bush just because he is so cool and fun.
His electric mandolin workshop was amazing.

I'm hoping to go to the Mandolin Symposium some year because they get teachers from the west coast that we don't see out east as much.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

red7flag
Aug-05-2006, 10:20pm
Even though mandolin is by far my instrument of choice, my hour would be with Doc Watson, he is a person I would love to spend one hour with.
Tony

the blue mule
Aug-06-2006, 12:23pm
i guess i would have to go with the obvious omission from the list, so far; and say David Grisman. As an acoustic guitarist for more years than i care to mention, Grisman's Tone Poems opened my ears, eyes and heart to the possiblites of mandolin..................

James P
Aug-06-2006, 12:25pm
In the nicest, most polite way possible: Sharon Gilchrist. She's a great player and just seems like a pleasant person to spend an hour with.

hendrix2
Aug-06-2006, 12:45pm
I would be happy if I could play an hour with another mandolin player. Personally I know nobody who plays the mandolin. It's not a very popular instrument here. (don't ask me why!). I know a lot of people who play guitar/keyboard/piano/bass/drum... but mandolin, never met someone who actually played it...:(

giverin
Aug-06-2006, 10:10pm
I've had the pleasure of a couple of hours of jamming with Giverin over the past few days. He is an incredible young talent. Great question Giverin! I'd choose Baldassari. If I had only one hour, I'd be looking for some direction in setting up effective practice sessions.

mandopete
Aug-07-2006, 9:32am
John Reischman and I did. I took a lesson from him with the specific task of understanding his right hand technique and his approach to getting good tone.

Best hour I have spent on the mandolin.

Dfyngravity
Aug-07-2006, 9:38am
Easy enough for me...Shawn Lane. First off he is my favorite mandolin player, secondly he is just absolutely smooth and his playing is just flawless not to mention very very tasteful. He seems to only hit the notes that count and doesn't waste too much time hitting the notes inbetween. I would love to sit down with him and pick his brain about his style and technique plus get as many pointers as possible.

Kevin Briggs
Aug-07-2006, 9:51am
I'd go with Butch Baldissari. He is just the cleanest, most sensible player I've heard. I'd like to pick some of that up from him, and combine it with my reckless sort of style.

tree
Aug-07-2006, 10:58am
Marty Stuart. #I'd plop a couple of Newcastle Browns on the table and pump him for stories. #Maybe we'd pick, maybe not.

mandocrucian
Aug-07-2006, 12:24pm
Yeah, I know this thread is a game of hypothetical "What if...?"
But, something to think about #in case you might actually be in the situation sometime in the future.

One hour isn't very long to do much. (It's way too short)

It'd probably make more sense to buy the person's instructional DVD/VHS (if they have one out). They'll control the topic agenda and tell you things that they think you should/need to be aware of (they are the expert(s), are they not?), Otherwise, it might be like asking Einstein "What's this subtraction business all about? or "Oh Professor, I'm just not getting 'fractions'..... (Years later you'd probably cringe every time you think of the inept/naive/ stuff you used up your time asking about.)

If you were to do a cost/benefit analysis, you might come out way ahead spending the time with someone not-so-famous that understands what the "name players" are doing and can teach/clue you in on what they are doing. (And maybe avoid the "show-biz" 'personna' some players pick up with their fame, which could leave you with long lingering bad vibes which contaminates your enjoyment of their records.) And/or picking up those DVDs.
- - - - - -

Anyway, to play along, I'd be looking for awareness/discovery of new mental portals/pathways, and that seems more likely coming from some other sources than a mando player.

Bobby McFerrin - the instrument is the #mind

Tuck Andress

Allan Slutsky #(aka Dr. Licks) - has written some great books about the functioning of R&B rhythm - gtr/bass/drums - sections

a really good B3 organ player who kicks great bass lines (doesn't need to be somebody famous like Winwood or Lee Michaels, Skip Knape, Jimmy McGriff etc.) for technical advice on pedalbass mechanics and four limbed independence

Micky Hart - one of the Dead drummers and a long time martial arts guy. - application/fusion of martial arts training (physical and mental) to groove, music and the shamanic trance zone.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(I've already spent "hours" with numerous players (Martin Carthy, Michael Doucet, Jimmy Gaudreau, Arto Järvelä, Doyle Lawson, Mick Moloney, John Renbourn, Larry Rice, Jody Stecher, Richard Thompson, Radim Zenkl to name a few) over the years, so...</span> if I had to restrict myself to a "mandolin" player, I suppose (today) I would choose a time slot with Andy Irvine...("Walk me through your thought process regarding your accompaniment style"))

Niles H

Laura Leder
Aug-07-2006, 2:04pm
I would definitely like to spend an hour with my favorite mandolinist, Simon Mayor. I think he's second to none!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

muzicmaken
Aug-07-2006, 3:51pm
[quote=giverin,Aug. 05 2006, 02:02]If you could spend one hour, with ANY mandolin player, who would it be, why, and what would you do in this hour?

Personally it would be an hour with Sam Bush so he could teach me some of those strange rhythm's he enjoys playing.
Mike

quote]
I was thinking the same thing but I can't decide between Sam Bush and Ricky Skaggs both totally different styles but like you said Sam Bush is incredible with the rythm's he plays..

I went to my first Bluegrass festival this summer (just got into Bluegrass about 6-7 months ago) and I was right there in fron to Sam Bush the whole night just watching along..Had to pick my jaw up a few times in awe I was blow away....

dang
Aug-07-2006, 4:30pm
mandocrucian- "It'd probably make more sense to buy the person's instructional DVD/VHS (if they have one out)."

For me it would make more sense just to want to pick with my favorite player for an hour (even if I suck). Sam Bush probably wouldnt' remember me, but I tell you, I would remember him! Even if I asked "I just don't get this whole head bob thing...?" I wouldn't regret it http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif The original question did not indicate that it was specifically a lesson, though there has been a slant in this thread about instruction.

To put a diabolical twist on it, since it said ANY mandolin player I guess I would have to say Lloyd Loar (if they have to be living substitute Steven Gilchrist), because I want to steal all his luthier secrets, and I would have him hooked to a lie detector the whole time to make sure he was telling the truth. There has to be a way to find out if Loar really did the work that made them sound so good, or if he just signed his name...

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Nolan
Aug-07-2006, 5:00pm
I don't know... Bill Monroe? #Of course with Bill the one hour sit down might be preceded by 6 hours of hard labor on the farm.

groveland
Aug-07-2006, 6:40pm
I could use an hour with John McGann. That would be fun.

C. Carr
Aug-07-2006, 7:32pm
I'd second Bill Monroe: with the condition that we play at my place, not his!

My first teacher Jim Prendergast (at Cotten Music)was great in that he really turned me on to the instrument so in deference I'd like an hour to show off my progres to him. I'd also really like an hour with with Roland White, again in Nashville, which is a real possibility this fall if his schedule permits.

Finally, a visit with Tim O'Brien or David Grisman, would just be icing on the cake!

By the way. Thanks again to EVERYBODY in Nashville for their great hospitality, compassion, and friendship after Hurricane Katrina. I am a grateful and devoted fan of "Athens on the Cumberland".

Regards,
Charlie Carr
(back home in New Orleans -- where mandolin virtuosos are few and far between).

mandomiss
Aug-07-2006, 8:18pm
Mike Marshall!!!! A wonderful guy, an awesome teacher, and an amazing mandolinist. I don't know what I would want to do in that hour, but it would inspire me enough to go out and learn on my own.

Mando Gil
Aug-07-2006, 9:07pm
How about Red Henry! I sat and listened to him play along with devout Old-Time musicians at an Xmas party last year. He could play right along w/ those guys maintaining a clearly identifible bluegrass style. To me that was a showcase of the instrument while complimenting the old-time fiddlers. It was eye opening. If I ever find myself living close to him I'm signing up for lessons. The dude is also imposing, I'd want him on my side if anything broke out!

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-08-2006, 7:18am
Lord,where do you start !.I just about admire anyone who can really play well.Apart from video & DVD,i haven't seen a Mandolin player in person in 6 years,there aren't any players near me.
I'd have a hard choice between John Reischman & Herschel Sizemore.Both guys are awesome.There are so many top players around who could show you a lifetime of good stuff -
but not in the UK unfortunately,
Saska

Mattg
Aug-08-2006, 10:10am
I recently got an hour almost to myself with Roland White at Rocky Grass Academy. A guitarist and another mandolin player were in our session but the guitarist ended up playing accompanyment and the other mandolinist really didn't jump in. So Roland drilled me on cool mando licks for almost the whole session. I finnally cried uncle after about 50 minutes so he spent the rest of the time playing Bill M. tunes. It was great.

That being said, I would love to spend and hour with Sam Bush. At my level, I probably wouldn't absorb much but I do like the guy's energy. Or perhaps Thile, or maybe Dawg. Jethro Burns perhaps? Hmm... how about Mike Marshall. So many good players with great styles.

Mattg
Aug-08-2006, 12:30pm
I should also point out that Shawn Lane and Jesse Cobb (Infamous String Dusters) were also instructors at Rocky Grass. I took small group lessions from both (in addition to Roland White). I would gladly grab an hour from each. Roland is very meticulous and has priceless bluegrass stories. I loved his take on alternate chord voicing. Shawn is laidback and is a very patient teacher. Jesse is very high energy and is clearly very passionate about music. Shawn and Jesse really encouraged learning tunes by ear not just memorizing by string and fret location. These guys all had a big impact on my playing.

T.T. Brown
Aug-08-2006, 12:48pm
Milla Jovovich.

Al in PT
Aug-11-2006, 1:16pm
I agree with LambieLady that, having met Simon and Hilary, it's worth an hour, at least for a beer and some fun jokes that Simon is full of with his dry wit. Simon doesn't teach 1:1 so the hour would have to be without a lesson (G). It's a shame that he is not as well known in this country as he should be, and that given the exchange rate and our visa process it makes it so hard for them to get over here and perform. He is a spectacular technical player, has wonderful wit, and is very creative.

However, for raw teaching ability, I think that I would have to say that an hour with Evan Marshall is probably as good an investment in tremolo learning as you will make. One of the great players alive, and there are sure lots of great players out there! Other good teachers I've been with would have to include Butch Baldissari who's practice technique has been very useful, worth an hour as well.