PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Derrington gone

Pages : [1] 2

Big Joe
Aug-02-2006, 8:11am
It is with heavy heart I inform the Cafe that my friend, Charlie Derrington, has passed on. He was taken in a motorcycle accident last evening by a drunken driver in the wrong lane. He will most certainly be missed by the Bluegrass community as a whole, the Cafe, Gibson, and his family and many friends.

Please be in prayer for his wife, Susan, and their daughter, Anna, who is just about to enter her sophmore year in college. It is a terrible loss to us all. I have no information on arrangements yet. I will post them as they become available.

Scott Tichenor
Aug-02-2006, 8:13am
Lawson Peets called me at 7:00 this a.m. to tell me. A great man has left us, and one that everyone called friend pretty much. This is so sad, and he and his family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

danb
Aug-02-2006, 8:14am
Very sad news indeed, Charlie will be sorely missed

glauber
Aug-02-2006, 8:17am
That's terrible news. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Kirk Albrecht
Aug-02-2006, 8:26am
Wow - my thoughts and prayers are with his family. Such a sad event. I have never met Charlie, but never heard a bad word about him, and certainly his work was outstanding.

Kirk Albrecht

Tom C
Aug-02-2006, 8:26am
My sincerest condolences to everyone who knew him. I got chills going down my back when I saw this news. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

JimRichter
Aug-02-2006, 8:30am
That's quite a shock this morning. My heart goes out to his family.

Jim

Wesley
Aug-02-2006, 8:31am
My thoughts and prayers are with his family in their time of grief. Terrible news.

Chris Cantergiani
Aug-02-2006, 8:31am
Awful.
I imagine many of us who never met him in person and only knew him through this forum and reputation will send thoughts and prayer to his family and co-workers.

Very sad to hear, but thank you for letting us know.

Chris

AlanN
Aug-02-2006, 8:32am
I'll always remember him as a kind and decent man who would talk to kings and paupers alike. He was a fair and skilled businessman, and he knew quality.

RIP, Charlie Derrington.

Aug-02-2006, 8:34am
That is just so sad.

Jerry Byers
Aug-02-2006, 8:38am
Wow. This is shocking news. He was a great contributor to the bluegrass community and a member of this site. I enjoyed his responses here - I liked the fact that he took the time to be part of our community. He will be sorely missed.

I wish the best for his wife and daughter. He was a good man.

bones12
Aug-02-2006, 8:39am
That such a tragedy could happen to this kind talented person is beyond belief. May his family know that he will be a constant presence in our lives as we play his mandolins. Rest in Peace. Doug

jim_n_virginia
Aug-02-2006, 8:47am
Wow what a shocker this morning. I only knew Charlie through a few private e-mails and the Forum but I always enjoyed his informative posts and admired his work.

If there is any kind of collection taken for his family please post I would be happy to contribute.

Dan Cole
Aug-02-2006, 8:48am
Saudade Charlie................

http://www.tennessean.com/apps....EWS (http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060802/COUNTY0107/608020404/1006/NEWS)

MML
Aug-02-2006, 8:48am
Truely sad news, His family and friends will be in my prayers. Life is so precious.

pickinNgrinnin
Aug-02-2006, 8:49am
Tragic news. I was stunned to see this headline when I arrived at the cafe this morning. I never met Charlie but I had a some email correspondences with him. A very nice fellow. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Another innocent person killed by a drunk driver. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

arbarnhart
Aug-02-2006, 8:51am
I never met Charlie, but I appreciated his contributions here. This kind of tragedy really puts things in perspective. I wish the best for his family.

f5loar
Aug-02-2006, 8:51am
Another end in the era of fine Gibson mandolins. Prayers for the family and friends who loved him so much. He was a great friend to me. He accomplished so much in life but he had so much more to give.

cyclome
Aug-02-2006, 8:55am
I am in shock and very saddened by this news. Rest in Peace, Charlie.

ethanopia
Aug-02-2006, 8:57am
Wow this is terrible.

I only met Charlie once at IBMA a few years ago. We had a good conversation about all sorts of mandolin related stuff. If it is possible to evaluate someone in the course of one single conversation, I can say without a doubt, he was a very cool person.

Secondly from his posts here on the forum, its very easy to be in his position and not want to communicate with the masses at a place like this. But it takes a real man to stand out here as a lightning rod for a company that is often maligned on forums such as these. We need more people like him in the world. Poeple who have the courage of thier convictions to stand up for what is right, and get in the trenches and rub elbows with the common folks.

He will be missed for sure. THankfully every time someone peeks their eyeball into a MM and reads his name they will remember him for the good that he did for our small instrument.

Richard Russell
My prayers are with his family and friends. This news is very difficult to process. Charlie's dedication to the mandolin community has always been evident in his posts here at the cafe.

Steven Stone
My deepest condelences to the Derrington Family and all his co-workers at Gibson.

Charlie's influence on the art of mandolin making and the history of Bluegrass has been profound and will continue to be felt for years to come.

Nolan
Aug-02-2006, 8:59am
Wow, this is a huge loss to us all. #I hope his family and friends know how much he was appreciated and liked here on the cafe.

I'll always remember when I was first getting into mandolins, I called up Gibson just wanting to ask a few questions. #I ended up getting Charlie and he took about 45 minutes out of his day just to talk mandolins to a complete stranger.

Another bluegrass great taken from us early by a Drunk Driver http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

mandopete
Aug-02-2006, 9:00am
Wow this is terrible news! #Charlie has always been one of the most valuable resources here on the Cafe. #His posts were always informative and I enjoyed his commentary.

He will be very sadly missed by this group and I will keep him and his family in my thoughts.

tjg
Aug-02-2006, 9:03am
This is a great loss to us all. #My prayers and condolences to Charlie's family and friends.

jasona
Aug-02-2006, 9:04am
My thoughts are with his family, friends, and coworkers. Even virtually, he was a likable, approchable, and giving person. He will be missed.

eastcarterman
Aug-02-2006, 9:04am
i havent posted on here in quite a while, but this is truly horrible news. i hope that everyone on this board can learn something great about life from how he lived his. we should celebrate his life!

we should all play Wayfaring Stranger for Charlie tonight when we get home.

RIP. he's playing with Big Mon now!

kudzugypsy
Aug-02-2006, 9:07am
as shocked and sadded as everyone, that is just NO WAY to go out and i know we will all miss having CD here on the cafe - i always enjoyed his postings and the wealth of knowledge he had to share with everyone.
truely a great loss

danb
Aug-02-2006, 9:08am
My interactions with Charlie were always a pleasure. He was a great help in getting the Mandolin Archive off the ground, was always available to answer a question, and had a very gentle and helpful way of expressing himself when he'd disagree with something we'd suggest. He was very easy to walk up to and say hello, a great host and ambassador for Gibson, and a fine player as well. I will miss my friend Charlie, the world is a darker place without him on it

ronlane3
Aug-02-2006, 9:09am
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family. Charlie will be missed. I know that Bill and he are playing up yonder right now.

acumando
Aug-02-2006, 9:13am
What terrible news, such a great loss to the world. May God rest his soul and give comfort to his family and friends in their time of need.

fstylemb1
Aug-02-2006, 9:13am
Our thoughts and prayers go out to Charlie, his family, his friends. I just lost a picking buddy a couple of days ago. It's terrible to lose such wonderful people. Sad sad sad...

kyblue
Aug-02-2006, 9:16am
Big Joe,

My heart goes out to you. I know my co-workers are like family, so I can imagine what it must be like at Gibson today. I will keep you and Charlie's family in my prayers.

Paula

Moose
Aug-02-2006, 9:18am
May God comfort the family - Charlie had a much larger family, indeed : the mandolin, this CAFE, and Bluegrass Music. Rest easy Charlie - thank you for your contributions. Moose. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

f5joe
Aug-02-2006, 9:18am
Charlie was the friend you seldom saw but was always there. I am grateful to have known him, considered him a friend, and value his contributions on this earth. He made a difference. Thank you Charlie!

Our condolences to his family and Gibson employees.

Ward Elliott
Aug-02-2006, 9:23am
That's a terribly sad piece of news. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and co-workers.

J. Mark Lane
Aug-02-2006, 9:23am
How very sad. I never met him personally, but everything I ever heard about him from anyone was good. I had the pleasure of being his liaison for a week as special guest on the Co-Mando list. I enjoyed that very much. I wish I had taken him up on the offer to visit Nashville.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Rest in peace, Charlie.

J. Mark Lane

dave
Aug-02-2006, 9:26am
May He Rest In Peace.

GTison
Aug-02-2006, 9:28am
Terrible news. Charlie was one of the THE Most important mandolin figures of our time. We can't replace the Loar knowledge and Loar experience he had. He was an one of the few authorities on the Loar that I always took as the final word on this board. His influence on Gibson OAI is unmistakable. I hope his legacy will last at Gibson. Life is short, sometimes too short to suit those of us left behind.
I remember talking a while to him in the late 80's (the only time I met him). He was talking about doing something with Gibson on the F5L Monroe Models which I don't think had come out yet. He was very knowledgeable and as kind as could be. And while we were talking he was building a mandolin. I hate to hear of his passing. I wanted to and talk to him again. He will be missed.

JEStanek
Aug-02-2006, 9:35am
My most sincere condolences to Charlie's family, co-workers and friends. I'm saddened by his loss. I always felt like I was in the presence of a Master just by reading his posts. We should all pick and sing one for Charlie.

Prayerfully,
Jamie

Mikey G
Aug-02-2006, 9:40am
Ralph Stanley singing "Death is only a Dream" is playing in the background as I am reading these posts. I have a lump in my throat and am so saddened to hear of this news. His family and friends are in my prayers.

When will "people" ever learn? Too many wonderful people are victims of drunk drivers!

tree
Aug-02-2006, 9:44am
Wow. #I only knew him by reputation and his posts here, but the news is so shocking that I really didn't believe it at first. #Prayers for his family and friends. #What a blow for the mandolin brain trust, too.

Ken Berner
Aug-02-2006, 9:51am
I never really knew who Charlie Derrington was, until I read of his miraculous work in restoring Bill Monroe's mandolin. Since that time, I have hung on every word that Charlie contributed to this web site. What a special gift Charlie was to this community, and I am sure, to anyone he came into contact with.

We will lift his name in prayer, as well as his family and close friends. This is truly a sad day.

Bluegrass Books Online
Aug-02-2006, 9:53am
Rest in Peace Charlie.

Carrie and Rick

Nathan Sanders
Aug-02-2006, 9:55am
My condolences and prayers go out to the family.

JimW
Aug-02-2006, 9:55am
I don't think words can express how much Charlie really meant to all of us here at the cafe. For the last few years, when we talked Gibson, I know most of us thought of Charlie D. as he was "our" connection to the company. He really got to live a dream, and he's told me that so many times, and he loved Gibson but mostly the Mandolin. He once told me that he had always wanted to bring Gibson mandolins back to the same specifications of the Loar era and he got to see that dream become a reality. He was so humbled to be involved in the mandolin projects at Gibson and especially the Master Model's that bear his signature.

To my friend Charlie, I will be celebrating your life today, and while I will truly miss you, you have fulfilled your life-long dream and now it's time for you to enjoy the fruits of your labor. You'll now have a great audience and some of the best pickers to play your mandolins. I'm sure Mr. Bill will play one for you and look down into that mandolin and see it bearing your signature and just wink and say, "It's got that ring to it, don't it!".

Rest in Peace my Friend,

Jim Watts

pickinNgrinnin
Aug-02-2006, 10:00am
This (http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060802/COUNTY0107/608020404/1006/NEWS) appears to be the newspaper account.

I'm feeling a mixture of sadness and anger. I wonder what it will take for people in this country to get serious about dealing with drunk drivers.

Keith Erickson
Aug-02-2006, 10:05am
Our thoughts and prayers to Charlie, his family and Big Joe and Company. It's truly tragic.

sgarrity
Aug-02-2006, 10:06am
Wow.....What shocking news to get hit with this morning. It really saddens me when such a kind and generous person leaves us so early. I only knew Charlie through the Cafe but he was always so willing to talk mandolins and answer any questions about his beloved instrument. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. Rest in peace Charlie

Joe F
Aug-02-2006, 10:11am
Charlie was a class act who will be sorely missed. #As someone who lost a friend a few years ago under almost identical circumstances, I understand the pain and grief that his friends and family are going through.

I offer my condolences and deepest sympathy to his friends and family, and to everyone who knew and loved him.

RIP, Charlie.

Mando Medic
Aug-02-2006, 10:20am
I too am in shock about Charlies death. My heartfelt condolences go out to his family. I finally got to meet Charlie face to face this year at Loarfest and I will hold that memory of his smile and our personal talks. Rest in peace Charlie. Ken Cartwright

sunburst
Aug-02-2006, 10:21am
I'm just now getting to the Cafe today, and just found out.
I, too, am shocked and saddened.

Dave Schimming
Aug-02-2006, 10:24am
Please add my condolences to Charlie's immediate and Gibson family. As a fellow motorcyclist, it makes me sick to my stomach and angry to hear of another incident where a motorcyclist is out enjoying himself and killed by an irresponsible and/or drunk motorist. His contributions to the Cafe have always provided useful information to me. Rest in peace.

blacksmith
Aug-02-2006, 10:32am
Truly, truly sad. And this could happen to any of us or the ones we love at any time. Please stop what you're doing right now and call the ones you love and tell them what they mean to you. How would you feel if you missed that opportunity.
Please let us know, here at the Cafe, how we can help his family.

Chippsta
Aug-02-2006, 10:36am
I met Charlie a few years back at a house party at a songwriter Tommy Polk's place. Charlie had his "Propane Trailer park" band playing for us. (sorry i forget the name, but it was clever). I didn't even know him at the time, but he took time out to talk to me, show me his Master Model, and talk mandolins, never mentioning 'who' he was. He even wandered off and left me with his MM for a half hour or so and i could have run off with it! Tommy told me later that he was "the man" who put Monroe's Loar back together and one of the big wheels at Gibson ... Charlie would not have tooted his own horn, though, because that day he was a mandolin picker and builder talking about his instrument and the bluegrass music that he loved! Yea, i'll play a little "I am a Pilgrim" on stage tonight at the American Legion on Gallatin Rd before the songwriters crank up and make sure some others know of his passing and pray for his family.
"There will be two dates on your toombstone and everyone will read 'em. But all that really matters is that little dash between 'em" - Kevin Welch
Charlie, you made the most of your little dash. Thanks again!

troika
Aug-02-2006, 10:38am
This is so sad and unbelievable that he is gone, just like that. I'm so sorry for the grief his poor friends and family have to endure. God bless them.

Jack Roberts
Aug-02-2006, 10:39am
God be with the family and friends. You are in our prayers.

Jack Roberts

Lane Pryce
Aug-02-2006, 10:44am
My deepest condolences to the Derrington family. Lp

MandoA5
Aug-02-2006, 10:45am
Truly a shock when I read this. We are not promised tomorrow, and this reminds us to really live each day with love for all. My prayers and thoughts go to Charlie's family, coworkers, and friends. Maybe a benefit concert for them?

Darryl Wolfe
Aug-02-2006, 10:45am
"Good Bye Ole Pal" (as sung by Bill Monroe)

jaydee
Aug-02-2006, 10:48am
(silence)

Jeremy

otterly2k
Aug-02-2006, 10:49am
I only "knew" Charlie through his participation on the Cafe. His presence and contributions will be missed by us all. I hope that someone close to his family will (at an appropriate time) share the link to this thread with them so that they can see how many people shared their love and respect for Charlie.

KE

testore
Aug-02-2006, 10:52am
I never officially met Charlie but had a chance to listen to him at Loarfest. He will be greatly missed. My deepest condolences to his family, and to his many close friends in this small community.
Gary Vessel

Jason Kessler
Aug-02-2006, 10:55am
yikes...

CharlieKnuth
Aug-02-2006, 10:59am
There isn't much to say about such a tragic and senseless thing. He gave the community much more than he could ever receive and we are all better for it. Our thoughts are prayers are with those who are left behind.

jaco
Aug-02-2006, 10:59am
Thoughts and prayers for the family. Very sad.

Celtic Saguaro
Aug-02-2006, 11:19am
A tragedy for the whole community.

Skip Kelley
I just logged on today; what a shock! I will certainly keep his family in prayer. I know many are heavy hearted today.

Scotti Adams
Im saddened..mad...outraged. My heart felt prayers go to Charlie, his family and his Gibson family. I got to know Charlie back in the early 80's. It was thru him that I got to play my first Loar...Sad, Sad news.

ryru14
Aug-02-2006, 11:25am
My sympathy and prayers go out to his family. He will be missed by all but by them the most.

G. Fisher
Aug-02-2006, 11:26am
I met Charlie at IMBA about five years ago and talked to him many times after that. He had a passion about mandolins and always had time to answer questions no matter how small. He will surely be missed by the mandolin community. My condolances go out to his family.

macgruderstrings
Aug-02-2006, 11:27am
I will miss Charlies major contibution to the bluegrass comunity.
and may I offer my deepest condolence to his family.
We have lost a superstar in American music

Christian
Aug-02-2006, 11:33am
Awful news. I never met Charlie but he has answered my questions very kindly on the phone several times. He seemed to have information on any topic related to vintage Gibson mandolins that nobody else had. I always treasured his posts here on the cafe, they were a goldmine. He will be missed, and my thoughts and sympathy go to his wife and daughter.

Eric F.
Aug-02-2006, 11:37am
There's not much to say that hasn't been said, but I want to offer my condolences to Charlie's family and friends.

Joe, I hope you will let us know if there is a memorial fund to help his family.

Tiderider
Aug-02-2006, 11:38am
Very difficult and sad news, bless the family and friends. If you want to see just how much CD was involved with music, just google Charle Derrington, there's page after page of results. Charlie you'll be missed by all. RIP
Lee

P Josey
Aug-02-2006, 11:40am
I never met Charlie but on many occasions I would email him with questions and he would always make the time and effort to respond. I'm saddened and shocked. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and many friends.

I've heard it said you will not achieve greatness unless it's your destiny. It was Charlie's destiny.

Wesley
Aug-02-2006, 11:41am
This song comes to mind. I hope we'll all sing a good song for Charlie. I found this one on the Three Pickers CD.

WHO WILL SING FOR ME
Carter Stanley

1. Oft I sing for my friends,
When this cold form I see
When I reach my journey's end
Tell me who will sing for me

Chorus:
I wonder who
(I wonder who)
Will sing for me (will sing for me)
When I come to the cross by the silent sea,

2. When friends have gathered 'round
And look down on me
Will they turn and walk away
Or will they sing one song for me

3. So I'll sing until the end
And helpful try to be
Ever knowing there'll be some
Who will sing one song for me

Larry Simonson
Aug-02-2006, 11:43am
Very sad news indeed. Like so many, I never met Charlie but always read his posts. I got the sense that his opinions on mandolin issues were the most respected and cited. I am sure he will be quoted for years to come. I wish his family strength. -L. Simonson

straight-a
Aug-02-2006, 11:49am
Very saddening news. I met Charlie at IBMA a couple years ago. He was such a personable guy, never met a stranger.

Mike Crocker
Aug-02-2006, 11:50am
"Life is eternal, love is immortal, and what we call death is only the limit of our sight." (excerpt from Bede Jarrett's Prayer)

This is truly a great loss. Our hopes and prayers for his family.

Peace, Mooh.

Keith Wallen
Aug-02-2006, 11:54am
My condolences thoughts and prayers to the family. Rest in peace Mr. Derrington.

Chip Booth
Aug-02-2006, 11:54am
I had limited contact with him, just through the board, but he was incredibly supportive of all things mandolin. #I played a nice Derrington signed Gibson for a while. # I offer my condolences to Charlie's family who I know are facing a terrible loss.

Chip

kudzugypsy
Aug-02-2006, 11:56am
i see where charlie still has the last post on the Loar Picture of the Day thread - that thread is so much of his life's work (yes, and darryls too!)
it just seems kind of sad - its good in a way that a lot of his knowledge was put here for history, and not lost like so much else.

tnpathfinder
Aug-02-2006, 12:08pm
It just hurts when bad things happen to such good people.
My deepest sympathy to all his family and friends. I will pray for your comfort.

Mr. Derrington, you have left a legacy to be proud of.

Lynn Dudenbostel
Aug-02-2006, 12:08pm
I was priviledged to have known Charlie and proud to count him as a good friend. I'll always remember his great sense of humor and kind ways. I've got wonderful memories of our many visits and I'll miss him a lot. My condolences to Susan and Anna.

Lynn

Gail Hester
Aug-02-2006, 12:09pm
This is too sad for words. Bless and comfort his family and friends. I hope Charlie had a sense of how much he was loved and respected by everyone, even by those who only knew him from a distance.

craigw
Aug-02-2006, 12:21pm
I was deeply saddened by the news of Charlie's tragic passing. I first met and became acquainted with Charlie about 8 years ago at the first Loar Fest held in Louisville.
The following year I took him up on an invitiation to do a tour of the old Church Street plant in Nashville where the current era Master Models would go into production prior to the move to Opry Mills. Charlie graciously led my wife and I on a personal tour of the facility. The better I got to know him the more I became impressed with Charlie's dedication to the pursuit of evcellence and his endeavor to come as close as possible to production of instruments of vintage era quality. Charlie was one of the first people I called for advice about four years ago when I thought about parting with a 1924 F-5 I'd had for over 34 years. I'll also never forget his laughter when I called later to explain that the end pin had fallen out of a new Master Model I'd purchased and I suspected one of my cats had made off with it. Charlie was a "Lore of the Loar" panelist at our first "LoarFest West" event held earlier this year and we were so in hopes he would be a repeat performer in 2007. His tragic passing is a tremendous loss to the mandolin and Bluegrass communities and especially so to those that considered him a good friend. I will certainly miss him. Rest in peace my friend.

Darren Kern
Aug-02-2006, 12:27pm
Charlie once asked me where my name "Hydrilla" came from, and when I told him it was my nickname when I used to be a tournament bass fisherman, he said he thought it was something like that, and to look him up the next time I was in Nashville, and he would take me out fishing at one of his honey holes. Apparently he was just that type of guy. I regret that I never got to take him up on that fishing trip.

I will be riding my bike with my passenger pegs down all this month, in honor of Mr Derrington.

chuck.naill
Aug-02-2006, 12:46pm
Joe,

I am so very sorry for you as well.

chuck

Dale Ludewig
Aug-02-2006, 12:47pm
I can only join in with prayers for his family and friends. Charlie was always kind and a joy to be around. A hole is in many hearts, I'm sure.

Glassweb
Aug-02-2006, 12:53pm
I'm MADD!! (Mandolinists Against Drunk Drivers) My sympathies go out to Charlie's family and his huge family of friends. A truly great guy, when I called Charlie and addressed him as "Mr. Derrington" he laughed and said, "Don't call me Mr. Derrington, that's my dad's name... you can call me Charlie!". Then when I asked him how much a replacement washer for a Loar Pickguard would cost he said, "Nothin', just email me your address and I'll send you one". And he surely did. A sad day... CD will always be in our thoughts.

Jim M.
Aug-02-2006, 12:56pm
A very sad day indeed. His knowledge and passion for mandolins and his all-around goodwill will certainly be missed.

Scott Tichenor
Aug-02-2006, 12:58pm
Mike Marshall asked me to post this for him:

Very, very sad news today. I got to be with Charlie only briefly and only a few times but it was clear that he was about as passionate about the mandolin as anyone could be.

This is of course a senseless tragedy and a lesson for us all about drinking and driving. Please give my condolences to the family and all his close friends. A great great loss.

FlawLaw
Aug-02-2006, 1:18pm
A senseless, tragic loss, my prayers are with his family and friends.

Brian Ray
Aug-02-2006, 1:19pm
All mandolin flags are currently at half-mast... My condelences to the Derrington family.

Daniel Nestlerode
Aug-02-2006, 1:28pm
Cafe language rules do not permit me to express fully the way I feel abut this. So I'll just say that my thoughts and prayers are with Charlie's family. He left us too young, and he will be missed.

Daniel

littledonnie
Aug-02-2006, 1:29pm
This song comes to mind. I hope we'll all sing a good song for Charlie. I found this one on the Three Pickers CD.

WHO WILL SING FOR ME
Carter Stanley

Chorus:
I wonder who
(I wonder who)

And look down on me

And helpful try to be
As a newbe to mandolins and this forum I did not know Charlie, but as I read the posts I feel as if I have lost out on something special.

My prayers to his family.

And as for who will sing for me (Charlie).

I beleive you all have.

David Horovitz
Aug-02-2006, 1:41pm
Very sad news http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

I never met Charlie but I feel as though I knew him through his posts on this board. My condolences to the Derrington family.

danb
Aug-02-2006, 1:42pm
Charlie was a modest guy. He asked me not to post this and embarrass him when I recorded it a year or so ago.. Here's some video of charlie playing a loar (http://www.mandolinarchive.com/charlie_derrington.divx). No shame in greatness Charlie..

It's in divx format, there's a free player at www.divx.com

Daniel1975
Aug-02-2006, 1:46pm
Dan,
I can't seem to get it to work. #I've opened some of your other Divx stuff before. #Thanks

Edit: It's working fine now. Thanks.

I also want to add my condolences to the Derrington family. I never met Charlie, but some people you don't have to meet to know he was a man of character. He will be missed by many.

danb

AlanN
Charlie was smitten by Loars. He would tell me over and over again "Alan, do you know what you have? Do you know what you have?" I would just smile...

danb
Aug-02-2006, 1:47pm
I'll see if I can put it on youtube, they do a flash conversion

Bramble
Aug-02-2006, 1:47pm
What a shock. I only know him from his posts here - what a great loss to our community.

My deepest sympathy to his friends and family.

danb
Aug-02-2006, 1:48pm

danb
Aug-02-2006, 2:08pm
His smile was infectous

wallflower
Aug-02-2006, 2:11pm
What an incredible loss to the mandolin and bluegrass community. #Charlie leaves behind an indelible mark on the history of the mandolin and is surely to be credited with returning Gibson to the top of the mandolin world.

Whenever I spoke with Charlie he was always gracious in the way he shared his knowledge about the mandolin. #I will always remember his generosity of time…

While his life was tragically cut short, Charlie has done what most of us hope to do; leave a lasting and important legacy. #God bless and rest in peace!

Jeff #Bredthauer

wantaloar
Aug-02-2006, 2:21pm
I'm Numb, I still can't believe this. My prayers and love go out to the Derrington family and his co-workers at Gibson. I had such a nice long talk with him at Loar Fest last year and he was so gracious with his time. I will certainly miss him
Sincerely Sam Carlino

Bob DeVellis
Aug-02-2006, 2:21pm
Well, he may be gone but he won't soon be forgotten. Charlie is an indelible part of mandolin history. To his credit, everyone sharing a memory of him is able not only to acknowledge his remarkable skills as a luthier, but his warmth, generosity, and good cheer as a human being.

For people close to him, thinking about Charlie will hurt in the short term, as it reminds them of their loss. But with time, every memory of him will fill his friends and family with joy, a lasting tribute to the man. With less intensity and immediacy than his family and close friends, his extended network of friends here at the cafe will also remember him, first with sadness, and then with great admiration, respect, and affection. No, he won't be soon forgotten.

danb
Aug-02-2006, 2:23pm
This should help folks with problems with the divx

Charlie video at youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8HAuy4ATek)

Jim Triggs
Aug-02-2006, 2:27pm
20 years ago I first met Charlie Derrington and my life was forever changed. I can't imagine all the influential and notable people I would not have met throughout my professional career if I had never met Charlie at a Festival in California in 1986. Charlie basically got me my job at Gibson and introduced me to "Nashville". Not only the town but the Station Inn, the Grand Ole Opry, and countless artits. I have many memories of Charlie, most of them good ones that I will always cherish. God Bless You Charlie. I love you. Jim Triggs

PaulD
Aug-02-2006, 2:35pm
That is terrible news! I'm sorry to hear it and it's a terrible loss for his family and the mandolin community. I did not know him personally but I knew him from this forum and by reputation... he seemed like a great guy with a wealth of knowledge.

My empathy goes out to his family and friends.

Paul Doubek

LGS
Aug-02-2006, 2:38pm
My thoughts and prayers to Charlie's family. And also to Danny, Big Joe, & all at Gibson. #Charlie was always good to me & helped me more than once. #I had great respect for him. #I know Big Mon thought allot of him too. #I've lost so many of my friends the last 10 years. #He will be greatly missed.

Larry Sledge

Mike McCoy
Aug-02-2006, 2:42pm
Good folks like Charlie never really go far away, they're always around when you need them, all you have to do is remember. My thoughts and prayers go out to all his close friends and his family.
Mike

Bill James
Aug-02-2006, 2:45pm
Rest in peace Charlie, God bless your family and friends. Your passionate contributions have touched the mandolin world in many ways and are now etched in the history books. Your passion was your work, your work was your passion and you had many friends, what a wonderful way to live.

Godspeed brother.

Yellowmandolin
Aug-02-2006, 2:46pm
God, this is terrible. I only knew of Charlie through this board and always looked forward to hearing what he had to say on any given topic. Thank you Dan for getting that video on You Tube, it works beautifully.

Dave Gumbart
Aug-02-2006, 2:49pm
I too am deeply saddened to hear this terrible news. Never met the man, but I miss him. My prayers go out to his family and friends.

revray
Aug-02-2006, 2:59pm
Once again we are reminded of how fragile life is. I only knew Charlie through this board but he loved the mandolin and that made him a friend to all of us. We should all pray for his family and perhaps hold our loved ones a little closer. Every life is like a pebble dropped in a pond, and the waves created by Mr. Derrington's life will continue to spread as we all continue to play the instrument and music he loved.

Cybergrass
Aug-02-2006, 3:05pm
Master Luthier Who Saved Bill Monroe's Mandolins Killed (http://www.cybergrass.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2137)

This is terrible news. #Our prayers go out to Susan and Anna.

Viewing will be tomorrow (Thursday, August 3, 2006) 3:30 - 5:30 and the service will follow at 5:30 at the Pettus Owen and Wood Funeral Home, 4506 Charlotte Avenue, Nashville, Tennessee. The burial will be Friday in Mississippi.

jeff_75
Aug-02-2006, 3:10pm
If you have friends, in Gloryland,
Who left because of pain
Thank God up there, they'll die no more
They'll suffer not again.

Then weep not friends, I'm goin' home;
Up there we'll die no more.
No coffins will be made up there,
No graves on that bright shore.

The lame will walk in Gloryland,
The blind up there will see.
The deaf in Gloryland will hear -
The dumb will talk to me.

The doctor will not have to call,
The undertaker, no.
There'll be no pain up there to bear -
Just walk the streets of gold.

We'll need no sun in Gloryland,
The moon and stars won't shine.
For Christ Himself is light up there,
He reigns of love divine.

Then weep not friends, I'm goin' home
Up there we'll die no more.
No coffins will be made up there,
No graves on that bright shore.

jgp
Aug-02-2006, 3:29pm
My condolences to Charlie's family and many friends.

----
Jonathan Pratt

RichieK
Aug-02-2006, 3:30pm
It is a really sad day for the mandolin community. Charlie did a lot of nice things for people he didn't even know well. I'm one of those people. I just am thankful that his influence will be felt by all of us for a long time.

Richie

Spruce
Aug-02-2006, 3:33pm
Horrible news indeed...

It's always so difficult to lose those people--especially under these kind of circumstances--who have such an enthusiam for life, and Charlie certainly had it in spades...

He was simply nuts about mandolins and what made them tick, and could hardly contain that enthusiam...

I last saw Charlie at Loarfest in Bakersfield earlier this year where he was like a cyclone of energy, bopping from one '22 to a '23 pointing out the subtle differences in style and finish in a way that made you want to go out and try to build one.
Which is what a lot of people did after hanging out with Charlie...

And that voice...
From anywhere in the room you could hear Charlie expounding on the virtues of one year vs. another. #
Not because he was loud ( http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif #) , but more because his voice occupied a space that few others did...
And few voices had the knowledge and enthusiam that Charlie's voice conveyed...

One can not imagine this kind of person suddenly not being here anymore, and all day I've been moping around just shaking my head...

My sincere condolences to his family and friends at this horrible time...

F5G WIZ
Aug-02-2006, 3:36pm
Unbeleivable! I'd like to think that when Charlie reached those pearly gates, a certain Mr. Monroe was waiting there to greet him.

Rich Evans
Aug-02-2006, 3:38pm
This is the song I will dedicate tonight to Charlie.

"Things in Life" #by Don Stover

Look up, look down this lonsome road
Hang down your head and cry
For we often lose some things in life
That make us wonder why

Oh the fairest love I ever had
Now sleeps beneath the clay
I live in hopes and dreams of her
That we'll meet again someday

I often sit and wonder why
Life has to be this way
But after all is said and done
I'm sure God has his way

I'd like to be a small part of life
With some few things to achieve
Just to know I've been a fruitless cause
Would give my poor heart grief

Now when they lower my casket down
In some lonsome grave to rest
And you take your last look at my face
You can say I done my best

Charlie, this song will be done tonight for you on a Derrington signed MM.
We know you have done your best. We will miss you greatly.

Rich Evans

WJF
Aug-02-2006, 3:51pm
What a devastating loss!!! I never met Charlie but know many who have ... all of whom spoke of him in almost reverential terms. This very, very sad. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Wilson
Aug-02-2006, 3:57pm
This is such sad news. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

lkb3rd
Aug-02-2006, 4:17pm
Unbeleivable! #I'd like to think that when Charlie reached those pearly gates, a certain Mr. Monroe was waiting there to greet him.
Wow, what a nice thought.
A horrible tragedy, and i wish his family and friends comfort

johnnymando
Aug-02-2006, 4:26pm
I never met Charlie, but felt as if I knew him through his many informative Cafe posts and his iconic reputation in our mando-community.
My deepest sympathies to his immediate family,Big Joe and his Gibson family.

Johnnymando

jim simpson
Aug-02-2006, 4:32pm
This is such sad and tragic news to come home to. I remember first becoming aware of Charlie from the Frets article on the restoration (miracle work) that Charlie performed on Bill Monroe's Loar. It was good to get to know him here so many years later. I can only add my thoughts and prayers to the many expressed here for Charlie's immediate family, The Gibson family, and the mandolin community at large.

Landgrass
Aug-02-2006, 4:32pm
When I logged on just now, this hit me like a fist in the stomach. In the many years I have visited the Cafe, I always found Charlie's posts to be informative, entertaining and always classy. He will be sorely missed. My prayers go out for his family, friends, co-workers and anyone whose life he touched.

Links
Aug-02-2006, 4:37pm
Hard to add to what has already been said. I think the number of posts here says it all. Charlie made a friend out of everyone he touched, either in person, or though this and other forums.

BassGuy
Aug-02-2006, 4:48pm
My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. #He has left a great legacy with his work at Gibson and throughout the music community. #Today I am at the Augusta workshops and the thoughts of the musicians here are with Charlie. #We will miss you. Tracy Curtis

Karen
Aug-02-2006, 4:50pm
We are extremely saddened. His family is in our prayers.
Karen and Richard

Thomas
Aug-02-2006, 4:56pm
This is so sad. I can't add anything to what folks have said, but I'm so sorry for his family. I have a 7 year old daughter and you never want anything to make their life harder or sadder. Thanks for all the great mandolins made under your care, Charlie, and I hope you're pickin' with Bill, Jethro, and other greats.

DrP
Aug-02-2006, 5:10pm
I, like many others posting here, did not have the opportunity to meet Charlie and only know him through his stellar reputation in the world of acoustic music. By all acounts, he was an incredibly knowledgeable, generous, and warm-hearted individual whose memory deserves to be enthusiastically celebrated. In my opinion, people like Charlie are a huge reason why so many of us become involved in acoustic music. The fact that he took the time to share his insight and enthusiasm with all of us helps immensely in the creation and propagation of the strong sense of community that is so central in acoustic music.

All the best wishes to his family and associates. He will be missed.

fishdawg40
Aug-02-2006, 5:17pm
This is such a shame. A senseless death but a meaningful life. May his family and friends cope with this great loss.

Rest in peace Charlie.

Bradley
Aug-02-2006, 5:18pm
Man what shocking news...its amazing how you can cry over someone you never met.It was always great reading his posts
especially in regards to mandolin history and Loar facts.

I peaked at that video of him playing...How blessed we were that he shared his life with all of here on the Cafe.

Rest in Peace Charlie.

craigmurray
Aug-02-2006, 5:41pm
My condolences to the Derrington family. Charlie will be missed here at the Mandolin Cafe.

Eugene
Aug-02-2006, 5:50pm
I'm at a loss...

Happy
Aug-02-2006, 5:59pm
I'm new here at the cafe, and more of a lurker...
I would be truly a lucky man, if I had as many friends as Mr.Derrington has, as evident in this fourm.

My prayers go out to him and his family.

Tom.

Markelberry
Aug-02-2006, 6:10pm
I met Charlie years ago he worked on one of my mandolins he was a very helpful kind gentleman. I will pray for him and his family. Mark Crowder

8ch(pl)
Aug-02-2006, 6:22pm
What a tragedy and so senseless.

Sunday I posted in the repair place for "Scratches on Top" what to do? I facetiously put in "Charlie Can Fix It", refering of course to Mr Monroe's Loar. I almost feel like I have used his name in vain, although we can only do that to the Lord.

Another time there was a picture of him holding an F5, I posted"Is that a Gibson that Charlie is holding" he almost immediately replied in a post "Of course it is" then went on to explain it's vintage.

I wish that I had met Mr Derrington, but he was never too important to post his wisdom and advice here and to do it like he was one of us. From what those who knew him post here, perhaps he was.

I wish God's comfort to his family and friends.

Hans
Aug-02-2006, 6:46pm
Oh God.

mandoJeremy
Aug-02-2006, 6:47pm
Well I have thought about this all day and I am still just in total shock and at a loss of words. What a wonderful man Charlie was and he has helped me so many times over the last few years. The only man I have met that loved and lived mandolins more than I do. He will certainly be missed by me and many prayers will be said for his family and friends.

AlanN
Aug-02-2006, 7:01pm
Here he is amidst a bevy of Loars (poor photo)

Steve Williams
Aug-02-2006, 7:07pm
I'm on my lunch break at work and just read about this tragedy...I'm heartsick. I can still remember the first time that I heard about Charlie - #Butch Osborne and I were sitting in Butch's front room reading about the Monroe restoration in a musician's magazine (Frets I believe), and I thought, "this man is the real deal".

I was sure right about that.

Our heartfelt condolences go out to Charlie's family and loved ones, as well as to Big Joe and all of the folks at Gibson.

Hoovetone
Aug-02-2006, 7:22pm
Here's to Charlie's family :

Let these posts assure you that we thought highly of him.

You ARE being prayed for during this great loss.

# #God Bless !

Joe Mangio
Aug-02-2006, 7:29pm
A sad moment in time.
My deepest sympathy to Charlies family.

Brian Baker
Aug-02-2006, 7:31pm
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Don Grieser
Aug-02-2006, 7:33pm
This is tragic. What a shock to check the Cafe and find this. Condolences to all family and friends.

luckylarue
Aug-02-2006, 7:36pm
How sad. I'm shell-shocked. I never met Charlie but I kinda felt like a I knew him a bit just from his presence here and elsewhere in the mando world. Thanks...Mr. Derrington.

mandoforme
Aug-02-2006, 7:41pm
I am really saddened and heartbroken about the death of Mr. Derrington. This is such a tragedy. I will be praying for family and friends of Mr. Derrington.

Steve Cantrell
Aug-02-2006, 7:47pm
A tragedy. I offer my sympathies to Mr. Derrington's family, and to his friends like Big Joe.

Ken Waltham
Aug-02-2006, 8:04pm
I just got in from work and logged on to the Cafe to read this...
At first I could hardly believe it, thinking this must be some kind of hoax, but, I can plainly see it's not that.
This is a very sad occaision, and words on an internet board cannot correctly convey my sadness.
I had the priveledge to know Charlie for some years now, having been introduced to him by my good friend Lynn Dudenbostel. Of course, with the Loar thing, we had much in common. Charlie sold me 2 of the very first Master Models, one sidebound in honour of the July 9 I owned.
He supplied me with tailpieces, pickguards, bridges, and we traded some, one item being a Loar case from 1923.
Alan , I was there when that photo was taken. Remember the big group photo a few minutes earlier?
Me, being a Canadian, didn't jump right in. I can still hear Charlie say, in his Southern accent, " Come on Ken, you're a Loar owner, get in the picture!!!". And a big friendly smile. He made me feel at home.
I spoke with him a couple of weeks ago, told him about an L5 I'd found. He was always kind of rushed, buzzing from one thing to the next. I'll miss him, he was one of my "Mandolin Buddies". The rest of you know who you are.
May Almighty God Bless and sustain his family in this time of need.
Sincerely, Ken Waltham

AlanN
Aug-02-2006, 8:10pm
Ken, I remember that time in Louisville vividly. If I can find the 'frightening foto' I took of you and Charlie holding Loars, I will post here.

He was a kind soul who will be greatly missed.

mandomurph
Aug-02-2006, 8:15pm
This is a tragic loss to many and especially his family. My prayers and condolences go out for them.

Potosimando
Aug-02-2006, 8:18pm
Ralph Waldo Emerson’s definition of ‘success’(I'm aure this applies well to Charlie's wildly successful life as a really decent person):

“To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation (approval) of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others, to give of one’s self; to leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived – this is to have succeeded.”

Duc Vu
Aug-02-2006, 8:36pm
I would like to offer my sympathy and condolences to Charlie Derrington's family and his co-workers at Gibson.

Even though I only knew him from his posts here, I've come to appreciate his generosity in sharing his knowledge, and his enthusiasm about mandolins and music. By his work with Gibson mandolins, he raised the bar for all luthiers, and benefited all of us mandolin players. In my mind the Gibson Master Model is the Derrington model and perhaps Gibson company may see fit to honor him by making that name official.

Duc.

Darryl Wolfe
Aug-02-2006, 8:55pm
I am posting this as a guest, although my husband (Darryl Wolfe, f5journal) posts pictures and discussions to this site on a regular basis. #He emailed me this link this morning, and I was devestated to read the news about Charlie. #I have listened to Darryl talk to, and about Charlie for 20+ years. #I have always felt like I knew Charlie, and actually had the chance to meet him this past February at LoarFest West. We all have the tendancy to picture someone in our minds, and I was surprised to realize that Charlie was such a young and vibrant individual. #I enjoyed listening to the enthusiam that he and Darryl shared about mandolins. #Charlie was such an easy going individual and I witnessed his passion for people and the cause. #This showed through in the discussions of the LoarFest panel. #I am sure that Darryl will post more later, but for now, I want to extend our sympathy and heart felt sorrow for Susan and Anna and everyone touched by this tragic event. #

Debra Wolfe

ShaneJ
Aug-02-2006, 9:03pm
All of you that know them, please tell Susan and Anna that yet another admirer of Charlie's in Texas is praying for them. May God bless them and keep them.

Bob Sayers
Aug-02-2006, 9:08pm
During the three years that I've been following the Cafe message board, I've always looked forward to Charlie Derrington's highly informative postings. I greatly respect what he did to reestablish Gibson's reputation as a premier builder of fine mandolins and other acoustic instruments. And I envy individuals like Charlie who are able to build a successful career around those things that give them the most fulfillment and enjoyment. His passing is really sad, but it sounds like he had a great life.

Bob

Bill Snyder
Aug-02-2006, 9:38pm
There is a short list of members of the cafe who's posts I always try to read. Charlie Derrington's posts where among them. His willingness to share his knowledge was appreciated.
My prayers for his family and friends. May God bless you with the strength and grace you need.

James S
Aug-02-2006, 9:38pm
There are times in life where you are simply at loss of words by something so tragic; this is that time for me. My thoughts and prayers go out to Charlie's family...

MOP
Aug-02-2006, 9:48pm
condolences !

Hal Loflin
Aug-02-2006, 9:53pm
I saw this on the local Nashville news tonight and sat in shock. They did a great piece on Charlie with Big Joe telling of Charlie's gifts and what he meant to Gibson and mandolins. Another tragic accident caused by someone that should not have even been driving.

I live about 25 minutes from the Gibson Showcase and the guys there are class acts with outstanding customer service...Charlie will be missed.

Our prayers are with the family and the Gibson employees.

Hal Loflin

harmonist34
Aug-02-2006, 9:58pm
I never had the opportunity to meet Charlie but enjoyed his perspective and helpful presence here on the cafe. Just got word today that good friends of ours lost their second child in two years. Life is hard and not at all fair.

Andrew

arbarnhart
Aug-02-2006, 10:04pm
The video on YouTube (thanks, Dan) gave me another insight into Charlie's life. He could play! And he was humble about it (didn't want the video posted before). I guess when you're rubbing shoulders with giants all the time you might not notice how tall you have become.

pickinNgrinnin
Aug-02-2006, 10:06pm
More news on this tragedy.

http://www.wsmv.com/news/9619820/detail.html

The video includes an interview with Big Joe.

Charles Johnson
Aug-02-2006, 10:12pm
I am deeply saddened by this news. I had many positive interactions with him - he was a personal face on a large corporation, a huge asset to the mandolin community, and a nice guy as well.

Rest in Peace, Charlie.

Charles Johnson

Paul847
Aug-02-2006, 10:17pm
Rest in peace.

Darryl Wolfe
Aug-02-2006, 10:25pm
I am teared eye as I post this, as I have been all day. Charlie was the greatest of human beings. I cannot say any more to reiterate what has been said (posts) about his demeanor and personality and his impact on the mandolin world. He was "The Man" with respect to mandolins.

Rest in Pease my Friend

Darren Kern
Aug-02-2006, 10:25pm
"Police say Villasana also fled from the accident and was later apprehended. Immigration officials tell Metro Police that Villasana had been deported before and there is no record of his legal re-entry into the country."

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif #

Aehle
Aug-02-2006, 10:27pm
This is a real shock and tragedy. My condolences to Charlie’s family.

He was a fine and extremely talented individual.

His voice will be heard forever through the mandolins he built.

R. I. P.

-------------------------
Mike Aehle

DorothyD
Aug-02-2006, 10:27pm
We were so very sorry to hear this news. It is such a tragedy. Our prayers are being said for his family, friends and all his wonderful co-workers. #We can only imagine how difficult this is for everyone.

Ed and Dorothy Diederich

Bill Van Liere
Aug-02-2006, 10:36pm
LONG LIVE CHARLIE DERRINGTON

My heart is with the family, co-workers and all the buddies of Charlie, the greatest repair person in the history of the F-5 mandolin.

Thanks Charlie for keeping the Gibson name alive.

Keith Newell
Aug-02-2006, 10:36pm
I am dumbfounded. I did not know Charlie personally but did have a few email conversations with him and very much enjoyed his precents here on the cafe. My prayers are with his family.
Keith

PhilGE
Aug-02-2006, 10:39pm
My sincere condolences to Charlie's family, friends, co-workers, players of instruments he helped craft, and those he taught along the way. It's likely that we've all heard/known instruments he built or repaired through many a concert or recording. We all benefited from his excellence. His corporal self may be without life, but he left us all with plenty of life.

Rest in peace, Charllie. I didn't know you, but thank you for what you did for us all.

-Phil

Steve
Aug-02-2006, 11:04pm
There's not much to add that hasn't been said. I didn't know Charlie, but I admired and respected his work, and from the impressions I got from my friends who knew him, I would have liked him as much as they did.

I hope his family understands and appreciates the amazing contributions he made to the mandolin community. While he'll be missed greatly, he left behind an amazing legacy.

Steve

cooper4205
Aug-02-2006, 11:36pm
what a senseless tragedy http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif . as it was said before Charlie will still live on in the work that he loved doing.

Charlie's family and friends will be in my thoughts and prayers as i am sure they will be in those of everyone else here.

there is one thing you can tell for sure from all of these posts, Mr. Derrington touched alot of people by simply doing something he loved.

Jakester
Aug-03-2006, 12:28am
... and the willows will hang thier heads

white dove

Michael Lewis
Aug-03-2006, 12:32am
Joe, Thank you for posting the sad news. It must have been difficult to let us know. My heart goes out to you, Charlie's family, and the folks at Gibson that knew him. This has created a huge vacuum in the mandolin world, and especially in his family's lives. Hopefully this vacuum will be filled gently.

sbarnes
Aug-03-2006, 1:19am
its funny how the internet makes us believe we know people...never met charlie, never corresponded w/him....only knew him from this site.....but still feels like a huge loss to the community....

atetone
Aug-03-2006, 1:20am
This news is truly tragic and deeply saddens me.
Charlie Derrington was (and still is to me) A CLASS ACT.
Even though he did not know me, he once did me a huge favour. His generosity in that act actually confused me for a few days because I could not fathom why he had decided to help a complete stranger, with absolutely no strings attached.
I learned afterwards that this was not an uncommon thing for Charlie to do.
He did this sort of thing all of the time.
What a great guy.
He didn't just know mandolins,,, he knew human kindness.
We will never know just how much he truly had to offer to all of us.
My deepest condolences to his Family and friends.

swampstomper
Aug-03-2006, 1:31am
What a waste. "Be ready for tomorrow may never come" -- Flatt & Scruggs

swampstomper
Aug-03-2006, 3:59am
From the Tennessean article cited above:

"Derrington was the production manager of Gibson’s mandolin division. He gained minor fame for reassembling the Bill Monroe’s smashed 1925 Loyd Loar mandolin."

MINOR fame??? Not on this board!!!

carleshicks
Aug-03-2006, 3:59am
What a terrible loss. My deepest regards to the family and friends. I truly regret not getting to meet him in person, he was always so nice over the phone.

AlanN
Aug-03-2006, 4:55am
He gained minor fame for reassembling the Bill Monroe’s smashed 1925 Loyd Loar mandolin."

4 errors here

1) minor fame
2) wrong date
3) Loar name misspelled
4) Charlie repaired 2 Loars

Another great thing about Charlie was his willingness to give advice. I learned how to correctly anchor strings around the tuning peg and how to lay down the mandolin - strings down.

mustache
Aug-03-2006, 5:15am
Rest in peace Charlie

The world has lost a great person and craftsman

Kevin Briggs
Aug-03-2006, 5:54am
Joe, Thank you for posting the sad news. #It must have been difficult to let us know. #My heart goes out to you, Charlie's family, and the folks at Gibson that knew him. #This has created a huge vacuum in the mandolin world, and especially in his family's lives. #Hopefully this vacuum will be filled gently.
Well put, Michael.

I'll add that the way it happened is heart wrenching.

Steve Farling
Aug-03-2006, 6:07am
Rest easy, Charlie.

Dave Hanson
Aug-03-2006, 6:42am
Rest in peace Charlie, best regards to your family, a tragic loss of a good man.

Dave H

barricwiley
Aug-03-2006, 6:58am
I never knew him but have heard so many good things. Please add my saddness,
Richard Wiley

thistle3585
Aug-03-2006, 7:36am
I too wish to pass on my condolences to Charlie's family, friends and coworkers. There really isn't much that I could add that hasn't already been stated. God bless.

BauerHaus
Aug-03-2006, 7:42am
I didn't know Charlie....never met him....never talked to or emailed him, but when I read this news yesterday, I got this knot in my stomach. I truly felt like a good friend was gone. It really lets you know what a "tight-knit" family the Cafe is.
I pray God would be with his family and friends during this tragic time.

ALL OF MY FRIENDS THAT I LOVED YESTERDAY...HAVE GONE HOME
(THEY HAVE GONE HOME)

Steve Bauer

toddjoles
Aug-03-2006, 7:45am
I am truly saddened by this. I always looked forward to what Charlie had to say on this list and considered his responses to be mandolin gospel.

While I never met Charlie, he was on my list of 100 things to do and people to meet before I die. This is not the way I wanted to cross his name off my list.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

God Bless,
Todd Joles

jackofall
Aug-03-2006, 7:55am
For those who, like me, may be new to BG and to mandonlins, may I recommend the article at Mandozine.com (http://www.mandozine.com/resources/CGOW/derrington.php). (Apologies if anyone has posted this this already. So many pages in this thread already, I have probably overlooked some bits.)

Apart from posts read here I had no idea who Mr Derrington was. The linked article alone is enough to convey some of his warmth and enthusiasm.

It is obviously my loss that I arrived too late to know and appreciate him as much as so many obviously did.

How wonderful, to have lived in a way that has left so many people so many nice things to say.

Well played, sir.

Dan Adams
Aug-03-2006, 8:07am
Like all others here, it is hard to express the sorrow for the loss of somebody I've never met or knew, but hope to understand his contributions to the mandolin and music community. No matter what the subject here on the Cafe, if Charlie posted, I was interested in reading and gaining some insight from Charlie's knowledge and honesty. Prayers to his family and friends. Dan

levin4now
Aug-03-2006, 8:50am
I, too, am deeply saddened by this tragedy. #My prayers go out to Charlie's family and friends. #I never knew him personally, but his effect on our community was great.

danb
Aug-03-2006, 9:21am
There's a nice tribute up at gibson's website (http://www.gibson.com). It really chokes me up to know I took his obituary photo. That center picture is part of an image that really sums up how I remember Charlie.

I was in Nashville to record some tracks on Jack Schultz's Loar, and I popped Charlie a message asking if he wanted to meet up and take a look. If you guys recall the story, Jack found out what he had by doing a google search on "Lloyd Loar" and getting in touch with Darryl & me shortly after I'd launched the mandolin archive.

Anyway, we put Jack in touch with Charlie as well to let him know what he'd found, and Charlie just siezed that occasion to show all his best. He invited us up for a visit & tour of Opry Mills, and really made us all feel like royalty. We visited his office, played some Loars (the video clip I posted earlier is also from that visit). Charlie picked up Jack's Loar, prounounced it "a good one", and said the same thing Alan mentions above.. "DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE JACK??". He and Danny Roberts both played some tunes for Jack on that Loar while I was checking out Charlie's unsigned right there in his office. He led us through the shop, offered us coffee, and just basically carried on with his day like we worked with him.

On his enthusiasm.. Jamie Wiens happened to arrive at Loar fest in the tiny 1-room bakersfield airport just about the same time as Charlie. Charlie leapt over and said "THERE'S another mandolin player!!" and had a Loar in Jamie's lap before he knew what hit him.

I don't know if I can even count the number of people Charlie introduced me to either through email or in person at Loar fest. Everything he knew about a subject, he would share.

Fred G
Aug-03-2006, 11:11am
wow, I so busy yesterday I didn't see this. The mando world has taken a big hit. He was really nice to me when I met him. He will be missed.
Rest in Peace Charlie.

Kevin K
Aug-03-2006, 11:26am
He truly will be missed. The mandolin world will never be the same.

TThorpe
Aug-03-2006, 11:36am
On behalf of myself, my family and mandolin players up here in the Capital District of New York I'd like to express our sincere condolences to Charlie's family. #He was a true artist and obviously loved by many. #Rest in Peace, Charlie. #Somehow you know he's already met Lloyd Loar...

DannyB
Aug-03-2006, 12:42pm
My family sends our condolences to Charlie' family. At a time like this nothing else makes sense.

mrmando
Aug-03-2006, 1:42pm
I flew to Nashville for IBMA last fall, and another guy on the plane turned out to be Charlie's brother. I never met Charlie himself. My thoughts are with Charlie's extended family as well as his wife and daughter.

Burner
Aug-03-2006, 1:59pm
My respects and condolences to Charlie's friends and family from me and mine.

lindensensei
Aug-03-2006, 2:17pm
Laurie and I send our condolences to Charlie's family. #Whenever a younger man dies I feel a tragic loss that one so young should die with his potential unfullfilled. #In Charlie's case I am in awe of his accomplishments, but know there was still so much more to come. #We are in shock and sorrow.

Arnt
Aug-03-2006, 2:22pm
I only knew him from his reputation, but his passion for the mandolin and the music could be felt all the way across the Atlantic. What a tragic loss. Rest in peace.

Ira Chavis
Aug-03-2006, 3:38pm
My deepest sympathies to Charlie's family and friends. He will be greatly missed.

Ira

Andrew Reckhart
Aug-03-2006, 4:50pm
I believe that every once in a while God makes a man who is too valuable to be left here on Earth. #

Rest in Peace Mr. Derrington. Your legacy will live forever.

Jeff A
Aug-03-2006, 5:38pm
I was in Nashville yesterday for a convention and was excited that a reception was occuring #at the Country Music Hall of Fame. On the ride up from Atlanta a coworker and non musician got an earful about Bill Monroe and Charlie's restoration. We were both eager to see The Mandolin. The reception was in the entry atrium at 6:00 and the Hall was closed.We were out of luck

I just got home and read the news. Our luck obviously was insignificant compared to Charlie unfortunate untimely death caused by a drunk. It is sad for Charlie and the many others who have and will lose ther lives in this manor.

Charlie had respect in the music community that is earned by few. He is mourned by many.

mheiden
Aug-03-2006, 7:32pm
Charlie was such a gifted, knowledgable man and as all say, a true gentleman and friend. The loss is beyond words.... my heart sinks and feels such anguish for those he loved and laughed with.
RIP Charlie....

Mark in Nevada City
Aug-03-2006, 7:43pm
My thoughts and condolences to friends, family and all those that Charlie inspired (I'm lucky to count myself in the latter group). A truely tragic loss for the mandolin community.

Mark McCay-Moran

mandoanon
Aug-03-2006, 7:56pm
Very sad news. My thoughts and prayers go out to family and friends.

racuda
Aug-03-2006, 8:59pm
The Tennesean Brief said:

He gained minor fame for reassembling the Bill Monroe’s smashed 1925 Loyd Loar mandolin.

I would have changed the word "minor" to major"

Brad Weiss
Aug-03-2006, 10:30pm
Like so many others here, I did not know Charlie, and know far too little about his contributions to the world of mandolins- and to the world more generally. #I was always impressed by the balanced and generous tone of his posts here, even in the face of occasional criticism. #The heartfelt thoughts of those who did know him confirm my sense of this generosity, and the profound nature of this senseless loss.

I would add, as well, that while I do not play, or prefer Gibson mandolins, I have a very strong sense that it was Charlie's contributions to Gibson over the last many years that has played an enormous, and consequential role in generating the mandolin revival from which all of us have come to benefit . #For that alone I am, of course, greatful.

If it is not presumptuous, or too close to these tragic events, I would like to suggest that Charlie's legacy and his many gifts might be acknowledged in an appropriate way with a gift that would recognize his passions. #Again, I did not know ANYTHING about him, so I would not assume anything- but as one who so appreciates what he has offered to us, it struck me that a fitting tribute might be something like a scholarship fund established in his name for - perhaps a position at a school of lutherie- perhaps at a celebrated music school - perhaps at something like the Mandolin Symposium. I'm sure this would be a more complicated enterprise than I am envisioning, but I know that I would certainly be willing to contribute to such a memorial fund. I do NOT mean to divert attention from this tragedy in anyway, I simply hope to suggest what strikes me as a fitting tribute to a fine craftsman, musician, colleague, and friend.

Rest in Peace, and many, many thanks.

johnwilson
Aug-03-2006, 10:55pm
A scholarship fund, yes, but I'm thinking more along the lines of his daughter or for other immediate needs of his wife. Not too likely the other driver was insured.

Mandolius
Aug-04-2006, 2:01am
Wow…

I didn’t personally have any contact with Charlie, but his reputation is well known and I’ve respected him for a long time.

Amazing how we don’t think about things until it’s too late. #While reading everyone's posts here, I realized that he might be only person that could’ve helped me learn more about my dad’s F4, which was rebuilt by Gibson decades ago after a nasty bout with three flights of stairs (busted neck, caved-in back, etc.). #Ironic that I never considered it very important before today...

I know the American mando community is reeling, but more importantly, it's obvious that the whole world just lost one of it’s precious few good souls left - and the rest of us are worse off, as a result.

I know it will be difficult, but let's all try to fill the void as best we can - gently (as was previously intimated) - but also, as completely and 'goodheartedly' as Charlie would've wanted us to.

Mando Mark
Aug-04-2006, 2:30am
I met Charlie once, he was a very nice person to meet. I have asked many silly questions over the years on this forum and Charlie was kind enough to answer all those questions. He was very respectful of everyone, I really appreciated that about him. Charlie and I were about the same age. The son kids me about being an "old man". Charlie was too young to leave us. Life is too short and too precious a thing, Charlie we will all miss you here at the Cafe. I had a dream of traveling to Nashville and purchasing a new Gibson F-5 Fern model and getting to meet Charlie and Big Joe. We are such stuff that dreams are made of, and out little lives are rounded with a sleep. Rest is peace Charlie and say hello to Bill in heaven.

june39
Aug-04-2006, 9:35am
I cannot add much to what has already been said about Charlie Derrington. We met once briefly at Sam Bush's 50th birthday celebration but I felt I knew him better through his presence on the Cafe. I am honored to own a Derrington signed F5. My condolences to family, friends, and the mandolin community.

Doug McCash

Shana Aisenberg
Aug-04-2006, 9:55am
Sad news. Not much to add except to offer deepest condolences to his family.

Seth

mandoryan
Aug-04-2006, 10:11am
Again, not much to add, except my thoughts and prayers are with Charlie's work and home families. I just hope that he knew how many people he affected in his lifetime. That's the gift of life: looking back and knowing that you lived a great one. Charlie, you'll be missed greatly here and I know elsewhere.

A9cp
Aug-04-2006, 11:22am
My condolences and prayers to Charlie's family and to the friends that knew him.

Nick Triesch
Aug-04-2006, 1:18pm
God bless Charlie Derrington. A great man. Nick

JAK
Aug-04-2006, 2:21pm
Someone once said, "The purpose of life is to discover our gifts. And the meaning of life is to give our gifts away." As previous posts have indicated, Charlie discovered his gifts and gave them away. I was fortunate enough to witness this at Loar Fest in California last February.

goose 2
Aug-04-2006, 3:23pm
For a while I would talk to Charlie on the phone on a regular basis discussing, of course, mandolins. I would always hang up thinking "what a great guy he is". I have owned one of his MMs for 4 years and now have a second. Those instruments give me indescribable pleasure every day. What a great thing to be a part of--contributing to the enrichment of the lives of others using your talents and fulfilling your passion! He will always be happily remembered by me. Big Joe, I am thinking and praying for you as I cannot imagine the loss.

tjg
Aug-04-2006, 3:32pm
I hope nobody minds, but listed below are a few Cafe quotes from Charlie over the years. #It gives you an indication of the type of person Charlie was:

"However, if you are not happy (in any way), PM me and I'll see what I can do. I am the head of Joe's and Dave's department and want to make sure every customer is happy."

"I always said if I were to win the lottery, I'd just play bluegrass music until the money was all gone."

"I refuse to mislead anyone for the sake of a dollar. That sort of business behavior only hurts one's credibility in the long run."

"Anyway, even if I weren't, Gibson was a force in the industry long before I came along, and would continue along just fine if I got hit by a truck tomorrow. Danny is one of the best mando players on the planet and has had things directly in his hands for a couple of years."

"I'm going about 5 miles down the road. I'll be starting another project that's important for the company. It's a little early to offer any details, but needless to say, I'll still be involved with the mandolins. Heck, regardless of where I go, I'll always be involved with the mandolins. It's who I am. I think you all know that....."

"Face it. The Loar is the model. Stray too far, and you are flirting with danger on all sorts of fronts. #At least that's my humble opinion."

"I think you all know that if any, and I mean any, of our customers are unhappy with their Gibson mandolin, we will stand behind it..... period."

"Next time you're down (and it's warm enough), I'll take you to this little private lake I fish, and we'll throw a lizard around."

"If it were mine, I'd chalk it up to experience and learn to live with it. Small marks like that just add charm to an instrument. It can't stay perfect forever, if it's being played."

"My dad was Mr. Derrington, I'm just Charlie."

"Send me the serial # and a picture on a pm, and I'll try and answer any questions you may have."

"I am so shocked by his (Cliff Sargent) death. It's a good thing to know that there will be a great human being and mando builder waiting for us when we get there."

"However, if I were to get hit by a truck tomorrow, there is no one I would trust more (to leave things in the hands of) than my right hand mando man, Danny."

"I haven't seen the mandos in question, but if the owners have a problem, I would imagine they'd contact us and then they'll get it fixed for free or a brand new Master."

"Joe holds very strong opinions (and certainly isn't one to keep those opinions to himself), but I really love that big lug and worry about him greatly. I actually don't know how I'd operate without him."

".......and I appreciate hearing about it when we do it wrong."

"And a snafu it is. That's my fault for not thinking far enough ahead. Email Joe and we'll get you a new one."

And finally:

"Give me a call tomorrow. I need to talk with you."

Jim Broyles
Aug-04-2006, 3:54pm
Before I joined the Cafe, I only knew of Charlie from reading the article about his restoration of Bill Monroe's Loar. I immediately admired his craftsmanship and meticulous work, and was amazed that he could glue those splinters back into a mandolin. I must say, I was in tears yesterday as I read through this thread and I knew that I wanted to post, in order to, in some meager way, express my condolences to those who knew and loved Charlie. You are all in my prayers. RIP Charlie. It isn't enough, but it is definitely from my heart.

GVD
Aug-04-2006, 4:00pm
I haven't had the chance to visit the Cafe much for the last couple of months and it was a real shock to read of Charlie's passing today. I don't have anything to add other than my sincere condolences for his family and friends.

GVD

smallshinything
Aug-04-2006, 8:48pm
I never knew Charlie. I never communicated with him here, in fact I rarely post. I just wanted to say that the kind of love spilling all over this cafe makes me wish I'd done both. Further, It make me want to be active here. I'm very glad I have the pieces of him he was so generous with here in these archives. Charlie, I'm gonna go get to know you better, Rest in Peace and play God some dancin' tunes.

OlderThanWillie
Aug-04-2006, 9:49pm
As you read this, Charlie and Bill are probably exchanging licks on their heavenly mandolins.

wantaloar
Aug-05-2006, 12:18am
Wednesday night 3 Charlie Derrington signed Master Models Graced the stage at Sam's BBQ in San Jose. The evening of Bluegrass music was dedicated in Charlies name by the band Sidesaddle&Co. #Rich Evans and Sam Carlino joined Kim Elking and band to perform a few tunes #under Charlies' supervision. We can't tell you how much he will be missed. God Bless the Derrington Family

PlayerOf8
Aug-05-2006, 9:09am
My deepest condelences to the Derrington Family. Talent like Charlie's doesn't come around too often

GM

pathfinder
Aug-05-2006, 9:23am
Extremely sad news.

allent
Aug-05-2006, 9:42pm
Hello all,
The attendance on Thursday August 3rd to say our final farewell to Charlie was just what you'd expect. I arrived at 3:15pm for visitation and there were ALOT of other folks already filing up to the door. At 5:20 pm (ten minutes before the service was to start), friends were still coming! Big Joe done a great job performing the service and Danny Roberts and Tony Wray played How Great Thou Art & I Saw The Light...Charlie would have loved it http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif There were famous faces and not so famous faces there...which is a testament to who Charlie was and the span of lives he touched. Thank God for letting us have Charlie for 51 years.
Allen T

Gibsonman
Aug-06-2006, 4:10pm
I never met Charlie, but I knew alot about him. I now know alot more. What a waste. I am sure everone will miss him.

Joe Parker
Aug-06-2006, 4:42pm
I'm saddened by the news of Charlie's untimely passing and pray for his family and friends in their time of sorrow and grief. I first spoke with Charlie about 9 years ago after getting his number from a friend. I needed a pickguard for a Gibson F5 I had just bought. I explained to him that it was an F5V built in Montana and signed by Bruce Weber and it was not made with a pickguard. He praised the work of the Montana crew and proceeded to tell me all about his thoughts on mandolins in general and Gibson in particular.I felt priveleged to be receiving such wonderful insight directly from 'the man'. At the time he was too busy to install the pickguard for me but he sent me a pickguard and all the mounting hardware,free of charge,and gave me names and phone numbers of people who could do the work. That's how I met Daryl Wolfe and got to play a Loar for the first time while he installed my pickguard,while I waited in his garage. A year or two later I purchased a Paganoni F5 that had no pickguard either. I called Charlie and again he most graciously offered up yet another pickguard. Over the years we spoke on the phone and at SPBGMA and he was always generous with his time and knowlege(and mandolin parts).Through him I learned about the Master Models,met Big Joe,Danny,David and alot of the great staff at OAI. Charlie leaves behind a legacy and a world of family and friends.I'd say we are all better off having known Charlie in what ever way he touched our lives.He will be missed.

Joe Parker
Tucker,GA

Fred G
Aug-06-2006, 8:39pm

WHO WILL SING FOR ME
Carter Stanley

Chorus:
I wonder who
(I wonder who)

And look down on me

And helpful try to be
Saturday (actually today) at about 3am at Wind Gap, Pa at the bluegrass festival somebody called for this song in a campfire jam and Jim Simpson was quick enough to dedicate it to Charlie. It was a good song. He was a good man. Thanks Jim.

bdisp
Aug-07-2006, 2:36am
Farther along we'll understand why...........

Christopher Howard-Williams
Aug-08-2006, 9:21am
Just back so missed this news. Very sad.
Having read many of Charlie's great posts on here and heard about him, it's almost like losing a friend. God bless Charlie and his family.

PhilGE
Aug-09-2006, 6:12am
Here's a gentle "bump" for this bittersweet topic. It's a reminder to me to be grateful for the relationships around me, even those that are challenging, for we may not have this opportunity to experience them as long as we think.

I'm sure there's a good book, video, and/or song, that will be produced about Charlie's life. It's certainly one deserving of the tributes to help inspire others.

chirorehab
Aug-09-2006, 7:13pm
I haven't checked in lately, and I was very sad to read this. In fact, I can not believe that this really happened.

I have never met Charlie, but whenever I read his posts I always felt enlightened and honored that such a legend in the mandolin community would honor us with his presence.

What a tragic loss.....

My thoughts are with his family and friends....

marcusg
Aug-10-2006, 2:55pm
I am deeply grieved to hear about Charlie's death. #I was the Pastor of Bellevue Christian Church and fellow motorcyclist when Charlie and Susan joined the congregation. #I was blessed to perform Anna's baptism, too. #Charlie was a man with a playful spirit, deep conviction and abiding faith. He loved his family, his friends and his God. I know that he has gone on to Glory. May God's spirit of strength uphold Susan and Anna, now. May his spirit of grace surround them and his spirit of peace be within their hearts and ours. #Amen.

Rev. Dr. R. Mark Giuliano, Savannah
www.montgomerypresbyterian.com

"Be sober. Be aware."

AlanN
Aug-13-2006, 11:13am
Here's a shot of Charlie and his good friend Ken Waltham @ IBMA 2000 holding Loars. Ken, know what these are?

PhilGE
Aug-22-2006, 7:37pm
Great photo, AlanN.

Here's a link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8HAuy4ATek&NR) to a short clip on YouTube of Charlie playing a Loar. I believe Dan Beimborn posted the clip.

-Phil

Jeff Hildreth
Aug-23-2006, 11:11pm
Sorry to hear this news

RIP

Jeff

cutbait2
Aug-24-2006, 7:27am
sad news. i got to talk with him at the Gibson store in Nashville a few years ago. he was there with a band he was forming. very nice guy, very good picker. he'll live on thru his work.

elenbrandt-redux
Aug-29-2006, 11:02am
I am sincerely furious that yet another drunk took to the road and took another's life in the process. Though I had my differences of opinion with Mr. Charlie, I always respected his talents and his humanity, and losing him diminishes all of us.

If we do nothing else in his memory -- every time we have something to drink and pick up car keys -- think twice about what it cost Charlie, his family, and his community of friends -- and then ask someone else to drive.

My sincerest condolences...

pickinNgrinnin
Aug-29-2006, 4:12pm
I'm glad you spoke to the issue Elen. I mentioned this in my initial two posts and I'll state it again - I wonder what it will take for people in the U.S. to get serious about dealing with drunk drivers? Since this news, I've sent letters to my state Senators and Congress members asking for tougher laws and enforcement. I also sent similiar letters to the elected officials in Charlie's state of Tennessee.

IMO, there are not enough voices speaking out on this issue and the problem does not go away. Folks here could perhaps do Charlie and his family a favor by sending letters to their elected representatives and asking for tougher laws and enforcement. There are 11 pages of comments from folks who miss Charlie. If everyone who posted could follow up by posting to their elected representatives, it would be a good start. It's likely there are cafe members who have lost loved ones to drunk drivers.

The driver who killed Charlie was suspected of drunk driving and fled the scene of the accident. It was reported he was in this country illegally and had been deported earlier for illegal entry. That might be another topic of conversation with your elected representatives.

[QUOTE]If we do nothing else in his memory -- every time we have something to drink and pick up car keys -- think twice about what it cost Charlie, his family, and his community of friends -- and then ask someone else to drive.

Amen to that.