PDA

View Full Version : Imagination...

Jasper
Jul-31-2006, 10:36pm
I am seeking advice on how to fertilize my musical imagination. I have been in a technical job for 20 years, and my experience, while valuable, has dulled my imaginative abilities. I play in church and with my wife, but we tend to play a bit slower than I would like on good old gospel songs like "I'll Fly Away" and such. When there are spots in these songs where you play a measure or two of a monotonous note/chord, I want to fill it in with some sort of run or harmony, but due to the problem with imagination described earlier, I have a hard time figuring out what to play. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jasper

Jul-31-2006, 11:26pm
...I have been in a technical job for 20 years, and my experience, while valuable, has dulled my imaginative abilities...
I work (and live it seems) in a digital world looking at blinking lights and listening to server fans whine. I have for years. Every now and again I go outside and look at the trees and listen to the sounds the birds make. I've started driving with the windows down in my car and the sunroof open even at night. You suddenly become aware of the smells of things like trees and flowers that you've lost touch with. Go down to the Home Depot and buy a few 2X4's. Bring them home and make something out of wood. Anything. Take a walk around the neighborhood. Get something totally the opposite of what you do and put it on your desk at work. I have a fossil of a fish that's a few hundred thousand years old. It kind of collides with the 1's and the 0's. You should be doing these things anyway just so that you know all that stuff you deal with everyday isn't real life, real life is when you leave all that. Above it all the music will keep you sane. Just relax and play it just for you.

sbarnes
Jul-31-2006, 11:35pm
listen - a lot

Steve L
Aug-01-2006, 5:15am
You might be a good candidate for John Mcgann's book/cd set "Developing Melodic Variations on Fiddle Tunes".

jaydee
Aug-01-2006, 7:55am
Listen listen listen, and when you hear an idea you like learn to play it.
Jeremy

keymandoplyr
Aug-01-2006, 8:16am
On Ill Fly Away I like to fill in with a tremalo then drop afret and go back up works for me !

Elliot Luber
Aug-01-2006, 10:50am
I like Diego's answer. Get in touch with that inner voice, and it will speak loudly to you. Trust your instincts.

Chip Booth
Aug-01-2006, 7:14pm
I say combine both approaches. Absolutely, get in touch with a more artistic side of your personality in whatever way makes the most sense for you. Don't be afraid to make a mistake, or play things that are just plain awful in order to experiment and maybe discover some new ideas. Also, don't sell your intellectual side short. As Steve suggested, there are some great resources out there to guide a thinking person towards the "science" of improvisation. Although there is an artistic element involved, some good basic knowledge and application of theory can help fill in those holes and give you a solid working knowledge when you want to improvise or expand on a song.

Can you tell I'm a Libra?

Chip

Lee
Aug-04-2006, 4:38pm
Use the monkey at the typewriter approach; try everything.

Jasper
Aug-04-2006, 5:50pm
Thanks for all the advice. I live out in the country, so getting out and being in touch with God's green earth isn't an issue, or maybe I just ain't soaking it up enough. But I'll look into McGann's book. I really enjoy chords and chord melodies.

Thanks again,

Jasper

mandroid
Aug-05-2006, 1:38am
Harmonizing with my inner demons, er.. head tunes.