PDA

View Full Version : CD by our own...

kestrel
Jul-27-2006, 7:14pm
You frequenters to CBOM may already know about this, but I just recently got the Bruscar Ban CD - none other than our own steven V. johnson (sliabhstv), and it is awesome listening! I listened to it for seven straight hours, while driving to and from picking up the first order of machines for my new shop, then brought it in the house, and it's been on my player, constantly, since Saturday. steve on bozouki and guitar, his wife Min, on Bodhran, and TJ Hull on fiddle - and Ireland is in your ears. If these people don't do more recording, then there is no God! Jayzus! I sound like a bloody comercial! Honestly, I have absolutely no financial interest in this. Wish I did. It's just really good! If you haven't heard it - give it a go. It's prime stuff!

Gene

steve V. johnson
Jul-28-2006, 9:26am
Awwww, shucks.... Thanks, Gene!

We have a wonderful time playing together, and your enjoyment of the recording is the ultimate reward.

stv

Greg Ashton
Jul-28-2006, 1:01pm
I just realized that this was available on emusic.com. I'll definitely download it as soon as my downloads refresh. Steve, I was wondering, do the artists get a reasonable cut from these download sales?

steve V. johnson
Jul-29-2006, 4:52pm
Hi Crispin,

I'm not specifically aware of the rate we get from emusic.com. #We use CDBaby's digital distribution, and they've sent it off to thirty-five (wow!) download services. #The only service that has reported sales to us is iTunes.
All the download sites seem to report sales differently, some quarterly, some minute-by-minute, some by... #Pluto transits or phases of the moon or ... something... <GG> #We get reports thru CDBaby, promptly when the sites report to them.

Different sites pay different rates per tune (and require submissions in different forms, some want a hard drive, some want 'em emailed, so CDBabyb gives each what they need for us, great!), and CDBaby pays 91% of whatever comes in. #CDBaby sez, "The average is 60 cents per song downloaded, $6.50 per full-album download, and 1 cent per listen or stream (when people listen to your song as if on a radio station, but don't download or buy it)."

I find that reasonable, very reasonable, and I love working with CDBaby, great folks, great business. #We've had a good number of CD sales from there just from folks browsing among the listings, and that's pretty cool. #With Irish trad, it's kind of rare to have a number of folks who aren't aware of the genre just show up and buy.

Further shamless promotion:

We're having a late-August dash around the area, a "mini-tour," if you will, playing the Players Pub in Bloomington, Indiana, on 8.23, Molly Malone's (formerly the Dubliner) in Cincinnati on 8.24, and the Heorot in Muncie, Indiana, on the 25th. #

The Players Pub is Min's and my 'local' and we'll have a great evening there, I'm sure. #Molly Malone's in Cincy once was a wonderful venue for trad music as the Dubliner, but declined until it's recent change of ownership and name, and now it's featuring some of the best of the area's Irish music. # The Heorot is a mythic place, frequented by real characters who respond to our sets with very high energy. #And Heorot has an almost infinite array of beers, too. <GG>

If you can join us, be sure to have a word and let us know that you're Cafe folk!!

Thanks,

stv

p.s. #Min just finished the e-poster for the 'mini-tour,' so if you'd like to receive one via email, drop me a note with the email addr to send it to, and I'll have her send one along.