PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Skaggs CD: Instrumentals

JEStanek
Jul-25-2006, 8:21pm
I got the e-mail with link to new cd and sound clips (http://www.skaggsfamilyrecords.com/rskti/index.html) today. #I think it sounds pretty good. #While I've never been a huge fan of the singing on Skagg's last cd this one is all instrumentals and I like what I've heard. Some great guests on it including Statman!

Take a listen and chime in with thoughts on the music. #I'll probably have to get this... the price is right.

Jamie

SternART
Jul-25-2006, 9:15pm
"Dawgs' Breath".......looks like Ricky beat Grisman to a clever Dawg title....or not!

Steve Perry
Jul-26-2006, 9:46am
Hmmm... #I don't know... # other than the two obviously irish influenced tunes, they all sound alike to me. #All roughly the same key, same tempo... no melodys or hooks that stand out and make you remember the tune. #Technically, there's very good picking on there, but there's nothing on there that would make me want to run out and buy it.

Steve Perry

gschmidt
Jul-26-2006, 10:35am
Good heavens that pick clicking is annoying in those samples. What is the deal? You'd think if nothing else, they could be removed in editing.

dang
Jul-26-2006, 11:11am
"Missing Vassar" doesn't sound bad but the pick clicking on that intro is pretty heavy. It is almost like a little percussion thrown in, but as a mando player I have my doubts as to if it were intentional...

adgefan
Jul-26-2006, 1:47pm
Pick click seems to be the thing with Skaggs at the moment. It's all over one of the tracks on Brand New Strings. I am very much of the opinion that it is deliberate but I have no idea why. The first few times I heard it it was kind of an interesting novelty. Then it just became distracting.

Chris "Bucket" Thomas
Jul-26-2006, 2:36pm
As an observation:

Ricky Skaggs can do nothing on the Cafe without drawing the ire of the group.

He certainly is popular to throw under the bus.

adgefan
Jul-26-2006, 3:13pm
Hmmmm. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

You might be right, but I've seen nothing in this thread of that nature. Being irritated by pick click and wondering if it is meant to be there is not exactly harsh criticism. I really like his playing and will probably buy the new record, pick click or no pick click.

JEStanek
Jul-26-2006, 3:19pm
This is pretty tame so far... Technical reviews of sound clips and no comments about the player hisself... I was worried of potential flames but everyone is playing pretty nice here

Jamie

Moose
Jul-26-2006, 3:50pm
Some of us have been to.....anger management. (some voluntarily - others not soooo) hee... hee...- http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

DryBones
Jul-26-2006, 3:58pm
PickClick...can I change my handle? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

A9cp
Jul-26-2006, 6:18pm
I got the email, went and listened and I told my better half, can you hear something, is my $400.00 CD player going down the tubes. She said nope, its coming from the songs. Darn it. But hey, I like the music and it's ordered.

Which brings me to this. To click or not to click, that's the question. Is it better to be a clicker on all songs on purpose thereby irritating your listeners for 30 minutes, or not to click or do something to curtail it and perform your songs as clean as possible thereby having listeners say, wow that was clean. Can clicking really be helped 100% of the time when playing at break neck speed ?

Don't know can't play clean at break neck speed.

jim simpson
Jul-26-2006, 8:05pm
I wonder about the pick click as I noticed it the last time I saw him live. I figure he's not going to scallop the extension on his Loar. (He is using it on the road, yes?).
I just saw Grisman in concert and did not notice any pick click. I don't think he has a scalloped extension either. Perhaps it is just a technique thing.
I like the new and old Rickie Scaggs material.

JEStanek
Jul-27-2006, 7:37am
I didn't hear any click on Grisman on Sunday at Sellersville. I didn't notice it on the sound clips. Now that it's mentioned I hear it but it doesn't bother me. Maybe I'm not that refined yet. I liked the picking well enough though.

Jamie

mrbook
Jul-27-2006, 12:58pm
I guess my computer speakers don't emphasize the pick click - or perhaps the guy playing a hammered dulcimer on the street outside my store is drowning it out. I listened to all the tracks, and sometimes I thought I played the same track twice - a lot of it sounded the same to me. Smooth, tasteful, pretty playing from everyone, but to me just too perfect, slick and controlled. No fiery Monroe-style instrumentals, and he can do it. From the clips I heard (all of them), it would be nice background music in my store, but not one I would put on for personal listening (like, say, Doyle Lawson's "Tennessee Dream"). No cut made me say, "Hey, I want to learn that."

When I first went to the site, I saw the special offer and thought I should order immediately. After listening, I decided to hold off until I listen again. I was really looking forward to an instrumental album from this band, too.

Bradley
Jul-31-2006, 7:12am
I am a huge Ricky Skaggs fan, and probably will buy this one one day this week.I have loved every project except the Brand new strings CD.

I do feel that Ricky is trying to venture into new waters with his style, and sometimes he is trying not to be a Monroe Clone while yet not forgetting him.

You can see this by his Traditional Irish/Celtic songs, His Jazzy/Classical sounds, and his many ventures with Symphonies. On Brand New Strings there was alot of his country sound from the early 90's...so who knows what you might get. Its all good I guess.

(Disclaimer; the above comments were not meant to bash RS and or his band Kentucky Thunder in any way)

AlanN
Jul-31-2006, 8:15am
"Dawgs' Breath".......looks like Ricky beat Grisman to a clever Dawg title....or not!
Actually, Zappa beat everybody to that title, with his Dog Breath (albeit a different spelling).

Keith Wallen
Jul-31-2006, 3:39pm
Full length tracks available at CMT music. www.cmt.com

Keith Wallen
Jul-31-2006, 4:08pm
After listening I have to agree with some others on here that it is not what I expected. There are some good tunes and picking I just expected more from this band. The songs do seem to have the same tone going on in them and some of them kind of meshed together when listening while working especially.

I need to listen to it more but I think I set myself up to hear something different.

Steve K
Jul-31-2006, 6:53pm
One conclusion I've drawn - Andy Leftwich (I presume) plays some monster fiddle on the "Spam Jelly."

Steve K

sgarrity
Aug-04-2006, 5:28pm
I have all of Ricky's recordings. And I've been pretty critical of the last few, especially Brand New Strings. I just got the Instrumental cd today. I'm on my third time through it right now. And while it sure isn't bluegrass, I think it's pretty darn good. I could do without the string arrangement on "Crossing the Briney" but other than that, I'm liking it. Especially the tune with Andy Statman on clarinet. That was surprising. All that being said, it sure wouldn't hurt my feeling if he'd get back to writing and playing some more traditional bluegrass material!

Shaun

Wesley
Aug-11-2006, 10:57am
I've enjoyed it so far - I picked it up last night and I've listed to most of it on the way to work this morning. I'm glad to see that Ricky played all of the mandolin parts.

Now - what really sets my teeth on edge is the notes. Unless someone is trying to be cute they misspelled the word "rhythm" - they use the term "rhythum guitar" throughout the notes. Grrrr....

It a little thing I know but you would think in this day and age someones computer would have caught it. My Junior High band teacher made a point of having that word as a bonus question on all of his tests. You were in big trouble if you didn't spell it correctly.

pettyman
Aug-12-2006, 6:34am
It's going to be in my next order - probably in the next two weeks - I've got a few of Ricky's latest stuff and really enjoy it.

Does Ricky ever come over to the UK for a tour - we hardly get anyone over here!??

Gotterdamerung
Aug-12-2006, 8:50am
Now - what really sets my teeth on edge is the notes. Unless someone is trying to be cute they misspelled the word "rhythm" - they use the term "rhythum guitar" throughout the notes. Grrrr....

It a little thing I know but you would think in this day and age someones computer would have caught it. My Junior High band teacher made a point of having that word as a bonus question on all of his tests. You were in big trouble if you didn't spell it correctly.
A complaint about spelling on a message board? That is expecting a lot. Seriously, though, you'd be surprised how often liner notes to albums are riddled with inaccuracies, misspellings, typos, and the like (though one would hope they could spell musicial terms correctly). Copy editing is fairly low on the priority list for musicians and music publisher, I gather.

Ricky Skaggs, however, is a tremendous player, and I'm certainly glad the he isn't just a bluegrass player, especially since he has such a great catalog of bluegrass material--he's entitled to move in varying directions.

250sc
Aug-14-2006, 2:55pm
Boy, some of you are a real tough audience.

I just got a copy and like it all. I hear some pick clicking but nothing that bothered me too much and I like the selection of songs and their execution.

I'm not a BG enthusiast, so maybe that explains it.

thiggins
Aug-14-2006, 3:12pm
Some of the orchestration is a bit "long-winded",
but it's worth owning, especially at that reduced price.
Heck, it's worth it just to hear Andy Leftwich play. That dude it awesome.

Tim

250sc
Aug-15-2006, 8:42am
Thiggins,

Yea, I know the cut your talking about. When I was listening to it I thought the strings sounded like a synth. I have to read the jacket if I can find my magnifing glass.

Kirk Albrecht
Aug-18-2006, 8:48am
Listening to it now through the streaming player at cmt.com (a great feature which lets me know if I want to buy some recordings - well done, btw)

The playing is excellent all the way through this CD, clean (except for Ricky's clicks, which also annoy me somewhat). That is one good, tight band. I wish there was some Leftwich mando in there, because as good a fiddler as he is, he can tear it up on the mando, too.

That being said, I agree with some of the other comments, that many songs are very close to each other in style, tempo, etc. Those guys can really let loose, but on this record they seem restrained. I love the warp drive version of "Shady Grove" on the live from the Ryman bluegrass all star celebration a few years back carried by PBS. I wish there were a couple tracks with that energy.

All in all a nice effort, but not sure if I will buy.

Kirk Albrecht

Kirk Albrecht
Aug-19-2006, 1:52pm
after listening to this CD about 6 times in the past couple days, it is growing on me! I may reconsider that purchase ... some really tasty playing.

sbarnes
Aug-20-2006, 3:09am
i like it.....especially the tribute to vassar.....
i also like the symphonic tune....although i agree it is a bit long winded but that french horn player can play....
the pick click is eveident but not throughout....seems odd that some tunes have it and some don't unless he's trying for an effect....yes the songs are similar but all that said......
i like it.....
check out the liner notes though.....rhythm is spelled
'rhythUm' all throughout