PDA

View Full Version : Input please...

medic1230
Jul-23-2006, 1:26pm
I've always loved the mandolin and decided that I'm going to learn to play. Been playing guitar for 14 years. Unfortunately, I'm grossly underpaid (and underappreciated), as we all are. I'm looking for a beginner mando under $200. Any suggestions? I've found a few and would like some input on those or other suggestions.

Rogue RM-100A (ebay)
Hondo HMan100 (ebay)
Johnson MA-120 (ebay)
Washburn M1K (Sam Ash)
Fender FM100 (Guitar Center)

Any other advice or information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time and effort in playing a wonderful instrument and guiding new players in the right directions.

-Todd

cooper4205
Jul-23-2006, 1:53pm
i would get a kentucky <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Kentucky-KM-250S-Standard-A-Model-Mandolin-KM250-S-Mint_W0QQitemZ200009478992QQihZ010QQcat

egoryZ10179QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">km 250s</a> if you only have $200. #this is a great price, they are usually around $250, but i have seen them as low as $207 on gear tree. #alot of experienced players use them for a beater, and they have all solid woods, and a radius fretboard. #they also have a 150s which is in your price range or you might be able to find a used 350 or 380 (all kentuckys). i started out with a johnson and it was no good - the neck warped in a month, i might have got a lemon but it was a big step up going from my johnson 120 to the kentucky i got to replace it. you could probably get alot more miles out of the 250s than the other mandos you have listed. #hope that helps.

John Flynn
Jul-23-2006, 2:30pm
In that price range, I would not look so much for a brand, at least not buying new. A lot of those brands are made by the same people in the same overseas factories. Rather, find a dealer who has a good reputation and will make sure the instrument is set up properly and offers a money back guarantee. Also, some dealers have "starter packs" that include a gig bag, an instruction book and sometimes a strap, extra strings and a tuner, all for under $200. In that price range, you aren't going to get a great instrument, but you know that. You can, however, get a playable instrument that will be fine to learn on and will be a good "beater" instrument later on.

The used market is worth looking at also. A couple of years ago, I bought a Parsons flattop, which is an all solid wood instrument, handmade by a respected builder. It was only $250 from a Cafe' member and it included a very nice gig bag. It had been listed on the Classifieds for a long time without any action. I have two other mandolins that are a lot more expensive, but I still play the Parsons a lot, so it was obviously a great deal for me. Those deals are out there, and you can find them if you look carefully and are patient.

Willie Poole
Jul-23-2006, 3:07pm
Todd...I didn`t want to jump in here BUT...In my opinion spending money for an inexpevsive instrument to learn on is like throwing money away...Most of them in a short time develope problems due to the fact that they are built with "cheap" materials and that means they won`t stay in tune, won`t note right up the nexk etc...After a while you will get disgusted with it and lose interest in learning the mandolin and it won`t have any resale value...IF you can swing it get a name brand mando and then even if you give up on it or can`t master it you will be able to get most or all of your money back...I realize that some people are on a strict budget but trying to beat the system with a "cheap" axe is not the way to go....As I said, this is just my opinion and probably isn`t shared by everyone...a few years ago while I was on a long tour playing almost every night I wondered what I would do if my #1 mando became unplayable so I found a music store in Fla. that had a nice looking imported F-5 model and I bought it as a back up and after making a few changes to it I finally sold it for just about what I paid for it but that mandolin never would have stood up to any long range playing which I was doing at the time....I hope this helps you some and listen to others opinions and then make up your mind, you might want to look into a more expensive mando and pay for it a little at a time and I bet you will be happier....Good luck.
Willie http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Jul-23-2006, 3:50pm
I second the motion for a Kentucky 250S. When you do move up it will make a great beater mandolin.

jenford
Jul-23-2006, 4:14pm
I've got a kentucky 150s that I have listed on craigs list.
Would that be something he might want?

Jen

Joe Mangio
Jul-23-2006, 6:47pm
Can't go wrong with a Johnson MA-120; solid woods, bone nut,
Gotah tuners. Buy it new on internet for under $200.
I've been using one as a festival/ camping axe and for repetive excercises for more than two yrars.
All the best with your selection.

Strange1
Jul-23-2006, 8:05pm
Musician's friend has Epiphone's for 129.00 up I have an Ep A model and it is pretty loud and a decent mando.

Jack

DryBones
Jul-23-2006, 8:18pm
well, I was going to suggest the Mid-Mo M0 in the classifieds for $225 but it's already gone!

jenford
Jul-23-2006, 8:36pm
How about the Washburn M1S. That's my work - lunchtime mando.
Lovely tone.

Jen

Jul-23-2006, 9:23pm
Heck, I would have bought the Mid-Mo.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

I gotta pay more attention.

Deaf David
Jul-23-2006, 10:20pm
Have you had a chance to try an Old Hickory? Imported, but with a solid wood top.

I tried an Old Hickory hanging beside a Kentucky in a store recently and the Kentucky had less ring to it, but the Old Hickory seemed to play easier, for me.

(Neither are made in the places they are named after, but being in Kentucky, my initial prejudice would have been against one named after a street in Tennessee.)

One more bonus, the Old Hickory comes with a great case.

medic1230
Jul-23-2006, 10:28pm
I just found out that I may be able to get a brand new Fender or Epiphone at cost. Any recomendations for models?

troika
Jul-24-2006, 1:18am
There's a style O in the picture post section you might want to make an offer on.:laugh:

troika
Jul-24-2006, 1:19am
There's a style O in the picture post section you might want to make an offer on.:

JEStanek
Jul-24-2006, 8:19am
A bit unfair, Troika...

The Johnson MA120 is a good mando. I can't help with the Epiphone/Fender recommendations but regardless. Get thee to a shop/luthier and put some more moeny into a decent set up job on the nut and bridge and fresh "real" strings and you'll be well on your way. My first decent starter mando (after getting something with awful tuners) was a Kentucky 140S, solid top only. It did just fine for starting off. Set up is key when you are learning (along with a decent neck). Much more so than aesthetics, scrolls or ancient tone.

Jamie

Bob A
Jul-24-2006, 10:46pm
Very few folks are going to want to hear this, but the most bang for the buck at the 200 dollar range is a bowlback. Good, functional ones are tricky to find, but they can be had at that level - I got one off ebay last winter for 200 and it's a really fine instrument. Sadly, most of the ones you find at that level are junk.

If you are interested, wander down to the classical section. There's a thread that tracks interesting bowlbacks, and people who can point you to one that's worth the money.

jackofall
Jul-25-2006, 5:12am
Another minority option is the Crafter M70E. It's not a trad mando, but it's very playable, sounds as good as most of the cheap pac rim laminate mandos, doesn't care a hoot about temperature or humidity and sounds great if you need to amplify (it's electro-acoustic). These things get cheaper all the time and now come with a reasonable gig bag.

I prefer playing my Eastman, but I wouldn't part with the Crafter. It is such a tough "beater" mando - and easy to afford a replacement if it gets sat on by an elephant (although I'm not sure even that would break it).

arbarnhart
Jul-25-2006, 2:00pm
I love my $200 Washburn M1SDL oval hole carved solid spruce top A model, and the few other owners I have had any contact with love theirs too. It is not a bluegrass mandolin. You can certainly play BG on it, but it doesn't have the percussive chop. But it sounds very full and is a good player. It is a completely different model than the similarly priced f hole A from Washburn.

harleymando
Jul-28-2006, 10:41am
Howdy! Ive been looking on ebay for awhile at the rover rm50 they have, from log cabin music, some of them are listed as having cracks or sunken tops, I finally got one...........paid 28.00 plus 15.00 shipping, is in great shape, no cracks or any other big issues. the inside e string seems to be pinched, with a little work this is going to be a good mando.............for the money, sounds good as my mk, actually I like it better........have a good day!

Jul-28-2006, 12:19pm
Harley, I'd buy one of those, you'd buy one of those, but would you really suggest a mandolin that might have a problem for a new player?

harleymando
Jul-28-2006, 4:14pm
Howdy! He wouldnt have much more trouble out of one of these as one of the listed....hes lookin for a cheap mando, this one is really decent............have a good day!

Tighthead
Aug-01-2006, 1:25pm
Why not buy an IV kit for $100 and build it? You'll end up with an all solid-wood mandolin, handmade by you. With the other $100, you can nearly buy all the tools and finish that you'll need. Word on these is that they sound pretty good when finished. Downside is you won't get the mando *right now* but maybe the experience would be enjoyable.

Just a thought.