PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Newell's

Keith Newell
Jul-23-2006, 11:01am
Here is two of my latest. The F style is a Sitka 1 piece top and Red maple 1 piece back. The Oval hole is Red spruce top with Big leaf maple back. The F style is soon headed to Texas. I had to start getting up early to work on these since it's been so hot up hear in Oregon lately. We have had 100+ weather. I have to go play a gig outside today up the Columbia Gorge and it promisses to be 100+ there too http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif
Keith Newell
http://newellmandolin.com

Keith Newell
Jul-23-2006, 11:02am
Here is the back. Red maple.

Keith Newell
Jul-23-2006, 11:03am
The modified scroll per customers request.

Keith Newell
Jul-23-2006, 11:05am
Oval hole flat top with ebony binding (what a pain!).
Keith

Keith Newell
Jul-23-2006, 11:06am
The back.

Keith Newell
Jul-23-2006, 11:06am
A different view of the top.

amowry
Jul-23-2006, 11:36pm
Looks great, Keith!

Justin Carvitto
Jul-23-2006, 11:48pm
Was that flat-top made for a choro player? Just curious...

Keith Owen
Jul-24-2006, 8:46am
That's my "F". Ain't she purty? Keith was taking it to a jam last night so we'll see how it ran the gauntlet.

Keith Owen
Jul-24-2006, 9:04am
Yeah, that flattop is great!

JGWoods
Jul-24-2006, 11:33am
That sure looks like a big hole in the flat top. How do you support and brace things to keep from getting the classic top ripple caused by pull on the neck?
Nice- adjustable bridge on a flat top- always wanted one.
very pretty instrumnet.

John
Jul-24-2006, 12:47pm
Super nice scroll Keith.

Mark Walker
Jul-24-2006, 2:18pm
Beautiful mandolins! Well done and bravo! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Keith Newell
Jul-25-2006, 1:15am
JBwoods, the sound hole is only 2.8" X 2.05" and only looks big because the rosette gives it the illusion of size. I have never had an instrument with the "Classic top ripple" or any other anomaly from tension so I'm not sure what to say but they is what they is. Sound is big and playability is even better, I can say that because I play them, my friends play them and the friends that my friends introduce me to and show them the mandos play them.
Bracing on my instruments are either traditional tone bar pattern, modified X, or a modified Tonebar. Those are the only bracings I do. I feel if a top is gonna fail the bracing is not going to save it unless its massive and then who would buy a mando that sounded so quiet and thin?
Out of the patterns I have done my favorite is the scroll shown on this thread. Cudo's to those fine builders that make the traditional one look so damn easy. I have done them and know what a pain it is. The model shown presents a problem mostly when finishing as the sharp point can easily get the finish buffed off of it or sanded off, it also presents a profile issue such as do I continue the climb in height or level it off like a traditional one and make the last 3/8" the same height. I sure have fun making these mandos and I know Im not "traditional" styled but I don't want that and have not tried for that.
On a last note I really do listen to what peoples comments are and after my first emotional response I then try to understand the heart of their meaning and what it is they really mean. It sure helps in future designs, colors, sounds and options. So you don't like them then tell me why ( if really bad send email http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif )
Keith

Keith Owen
Jul-25-2006, 8:56am
Y'all don't let Keith sell himself short. #His website shows some mighty fine traditional scrolls that he's done...I just love that open scroll myself, though!

And Keith's level of service is outstanding to boot. #When I contacted him he had made a neck for this mando already with a different headstock, but I really wanted a snakehead - tapered look. No sweat, he just built another neck and will use the other one later. And when I wasn't sure how the color was coming out (how crazy - look at that beautiful thing) he explained the technique in terms that an idiot neophyte could understand. I couldn't be happier with the whole experience.

I can't wait to get that mando in my hands, and to get serious about playing the thing.

Keith Owen
Jul-28-2006, 9:19am
Best sight ever...

Keith Owen
Jul-28-2006, 9:33am
Ok, a review. My F style Newell mandolin #27, pictured at the top of the thread, showed up yesterday in the box above.

First, fit and finish...FLAWLESS. The internet pictures do not do this thing justice. It a slightly darker shade of brown than what shows up here. The tortoise binding really sets it off and I love, love, love the tapered headstock shape. It works great with the modified-scroll F.

Now, what does this thing sound like? I am not accomplished by any means but I'll try to describe. First, this thing is LOUD. Right out of the box, tooth-rattling LOUD. I even get a bit of the "rattle of doom." This thing can pay bluegrass for sure. The highs are pure also, intonation was perfect. Now I have to learn how to play this thing.

In my opinion you can't go wrong. If you're in the market give Keith a shot. If there's a better bang for your buck out there I'd be real surprised.

John
Jul-28-2006, 8:14pm
Barney,
Really happy for you. #I too, own a Newell - A5, #21. #I also received a box identical to yours. #But, best of all is that I have had an excellent experience with the mandolin ever since. #The really cool thing about the little dude is that it will only continue to sound better as you play it. #Enjoy.
John