PDA

View Full Version : :When is a Rigel not a Rigel?

mrmando
Jan-28-2004, 7:32pm
Holy freakin' cow, would you look at this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3700898525&category=10179)!?

Should this seller get the eBay treatment? It looks to me like a very deliberate attempt to deceive.

Greenmando
Jan-28-2004, 7:41pm
I am not real familiar with Rigel mandolins but I did not spot anything wrong with the auction.

Loren Bailey
Jan-28-2004, 7:50pm
I just asked the seller to send me a pic of the Rigel serial number on this one. That's one of those Fender FM-62Es (I think that is the right model number) With a new headstock shape and a Rigel Tailpiece.

LGB

mrmando
Jan-28-2004, 7:54pm
I am not real familiar with Rigel mandolins but I did not spot anything wrong with the auction.
Then look closer. Rigel has no such model as either the "M110" or the "GM110." (It does have a G110.) The headstock and tailpiece are fair approximations of the real thing, as is the general body contour. But the horns are too fat -- they look more like the Fender FM-62SE. The fretboard is not a Rigel fretboard. Rigel, to my knowledge, has never used the all-metal tuners that are on this thing. Most damningly, if you look at the closeup of the headstock, you'll see clearly that it does NOT bear the Rigel logo -- the only place that logo appears is by itself in a separate image that obviously bears no relation to the instrument shown in the other pictures.

mrmando
Jan-28-2004, 7:55pm
I e-mailed all the bidders on this mandolin and told them they weren't bidding on a Rigel. I also asked the seller what he/she was trying to pull.

Mandobar
Jan-28-2004, 7:59pm
this is the goldtone model licensed by rigel. i believe the headstock logo does NOT say rigel. this seems high too for the goldtone. the last time i looked folk of the wood was selling these for $599.

PhilGE
Jan-28-2004, 8:09pm
mrmando, you could also try contacting "Square Trade" to let them know that this ain't no "square deal". Looks mightly suspicious to me. Anyone trying to sell a "New" Rigel for a starting bid of $500 has no clue.

Bowzette
Jan-28-2004, 9:50pm
Here is the problem. The Ebay ad calls this a Rigel GM 110. There is no Rigel GM 110. However, Rigel did license the use of the basic design (an assumption on my part because i don't know was licensed) to Goldtone. I can not believe Rigel licensed the use of the name "Rigel" to go on an inexpensive import. Folk of the Wood calls it a "Goldtone GM 110. That is honesty. The Ebay ad is deceptive and i expect Peter and Peter at Rigel will be unhappy. I just emailed Dale a "tome" on the evils of what Rigel has done to itself before i figured out the name was not likely to be licensed and the ad is deceptive. At least I hope that is the case.

Jan-28-2004, 10:29pm
LOL!!.....I saw it & nearly posted right after it was listed on Ebay. I recognised it as the Goldtone pretty quickly & decided to just sit back & watch this unfold. # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

mrmando
Jan-28-2004, 11:42pm
GoldTone ... I knew I'd seen this thing before. It appears that the eBay seller lifted the copy and most of the photos (even the Rigel logo!) from the GoldTone Web site (http://www.goldtone.com/products/pages/gm-110.asp). So there may not be any INTENT to mislead, but the ad was misleading nonetheless.

The ad now carries a note from Pete Langdell explaining the situation.

Loren Bailey
Jan-29-2004, 1:32am
I got an email back from the seller. He was pretty apologetic and it seemed to be an honest mistake. Hey, you can lead those banjo players to the water.........

LGB

Jan-29-2004, 7:51am
Hey, this guy's listings read like they were written by Rev Ted himself....

Read This Description ! (http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3700630115&category=10179)

steadypluckinaway
Jan-29-2004, 7:56am
I think this seller knew what he was trying to pull, the photos he chose to list include one of a rigel headstock which he had to add in because that goldtone doesn't have the logo. Yikes! One of these days there is going to be an ebay scam that gets by everybody, but not likely the cafe crowd. Good eye!!

steadypluckinaway
Jan-29-2004, 8:00am
Hey Dale, check this guy's feedback and he has sold several of these MCM's, but he words the ad as if it is one single used, never abused for 3 hours on a Christian Show, the hottest name in mandolins right now, blah blah. To me, it seems dishonest.

jim simpson
Jan-29-2004, 8:08am
I bought a cheap mandola from an Ebayer a while back. It was her sick husband's favorite instrument - needed to pay medical bills. It turns out he had several of these same "favorites" to unload. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Jan-29-2004, 8:11am
Two things I notice about this seller.

#1 He always compares his product to the "real thing".

#2 He is probably selling new product as used. It happens quite frequently on Ebay. A Dealer would be violating his dealer agreement offering new product at below MAP (minimum advertised price) so many resort to calling it used or a floor demo.

neal
Jan-29-2004, 2:41pm
LOL! I saw those surf city octaves from the sick one, I also saw the price she was getting for those 89$ pos's (I bought one from surf city last year, and it needed extensive setup to make it playable)I believe she dumped a couple for around 175$each. Just a reminder to all, caveat emptor!

And what is a CHISTAIN? Is it what you get when you spill CHI on your shirt?

Mandobar
Jan-29-2004, 9:33pm
looks like a few bidders bailed out.

RBM
Jan-30-2004, 10:43am
Why would Rigel license a low end mando in the same image of its better instruments ? For a company trying to build an image of quality and innovativeness this does not seem to be a great marketing gambit.

happycamper
Jan-30-2004, 4:12pm
Looks like the guy or gal has a big time problem knowing how to spell in the description. Probably a clue to the overall reputation.

Jan-30-2004, 4:26pm
Well, Rigel actually gets paid for this licensed copy, rather than spending countless dollars fighting bootleg copies. Believe me, if you know your Rigels there is no way you could confuse this with a G110.

delsbrother
Jan-30-2004, 7:06pm
What about the Fender FM-62SE? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

hayseo
Jan-30-2004, 7:28pm
The following has been added the the description:

"On Jan-28-04 at 19:09:49 PST, seller added the following information:

The instrument you are selling is a Goldtone, not a Rigel, and should not be listed as such. Rigel has a licensing agreement with Goldtone to use the design. But the instrument is not made by Rigel. Our agreement with Goldtone is that they use the term "licensed by Rigel" but not "made by Rigel". Feel free to contact Rigel if you have any questions. Thanks. Pete Langdell, President Rigel Instruments"

mad dawg
Feb-02-2004, 3:47am
Check it out -- the auction closed at a lower price than when this thread started: it was up to $799, but it closed at $599 (it now pretty much resembled FOTW's price, huh?)

MOP
Feb-02-2004, 10:22pm
I think the logo shawns on the photo is not the Rigel's logo,and may be Dale is right about TW!!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

mrmando
Feb-03-2004, 5:39am
The Fender FM 62 SE is no longer in production, I'm told.

I'm all for something that makes Rigel a few more bucks at a price point where they don't have any products of their own -- with the caveat, of course, that the lower-end products don't become confused with the real thing, which would just erode the value of the Rigel brand. The differences should be fairly obvious if you do a side-by-side comparison.

Let's keep an eye on this cat and see if he tries any more funny stuff.