PDA

View Full Version : Schwab MLS #135

berkeleymando
Apr-15-2004, 6:41pm
Kevin Schwab kindly sent me this picture of the Koa-topped MLS model emando that he is in the process of making for me. I'm really looking forward to receiving it!!

mandoaz
Apr-15-2004, 11:22pm
Wow....I really dig that wood grain....She's gonna be a looker!

Sellars
Apr-16-2004, 2:10am
Wow!

Super! do you have any more "behind the scenes" photos? That's a really nice top!

Kid Charlemagne
Apr-16-2004, 1:16pm
Gorgeous! You're going with a single pickup in the neck position, I see. Reasons for that?

berkeleymando
Apr-17-2004, 5:00am
Here's the way it looked before being routed and having the top and binding applied. I went for a single Bartolini pickup for simplicity and to keep the cost down.
c://mls1.jpg

michaellampert
Apr-17-2004, 11:57pm
My prototype has the same configuration:only one Bartolini, in the same position. Really, one is enough with the tone and series/parallel switch. On the other hand, I'm not really a 'rocker,' therefore I have no need for the bridge position pickup.

Christian McKee
Apr-21-2004, 11:07am
Rocking aside, don't you ever want the bite that a bridge pickup can offer? Just for tonal variation?

Christian

Kid Charlemagne
Apr-21-2004, 1:25pm
I have an earlier Schwab (#29, if I recall - I'd need to look to be sure). #It's a 5-string thinline, and it's got the Seymour Duncan humbuckers that Kevin had made for his mandolins prior to switching over to the Bartolinis. #I've been playing in a few different styles lately (Hendrix, Phish-style, etc.), and I have to say that I like the variation that the two pickups give me, but that when I want that growl to go with the guitarist, I go for the neck pickup with a fairly heavy level of overdrive or distortion.

The scale is so short that the neck position is really not that much farther from the bridge on the emando than the bridge position is on my guitars. #I like the bridge pu switched to single coil for quieter sounds, though.

http://garnet.acns.fsu.edu/~tgb6469/schwab.jpg

Christian McKee
Apr-21-2004, 7:26pm
Phish style??

Christian

Kid Charlemagne
Apr-22-2004, 11:18am
/\/\/\
Yeah, a little more jazzy-sounding, but with a bit of a kick to it, and with a touch more rock thrown into the mix. Our guitarist is heavily influenced by them, and so tends to play a lot of that style - I's jus' tryin' to fit in.

With the neck pickup switched on, a bit of overdrive, and a touch of compression, it sounds pretty interesting.

Christian McKee
Apr-22-2004, 11:40am
Eeeeenteresting. What do you use for the compression? BTW, that's a nice hatchet you've got yourself there, what's the box behind it?

Christian

Kid Charlemagne
Apr-22-2004, 3:34pm
At the moment I'm just running it through my Boss ME-8 (until I get my hands on an MXR Dynacomp or the rack m-e processor I'm lusting after). It does an okay job of compression, for a fairly inexpensive board. Gotta monkey with the settings a bit, though.

The amp's an older model Randall RT-30 I picked up used (and fairly inexpensively) a few years ago. It's a class A circuit 2x12 (Vintage 30 Celestions), and actually has a really great sound (very much like a Vox AC30, actually), particularly with the gain cranked on the overdrive channel. Nice and dirty...

Sorry to go on, I'm something of a gear-head at times.