PDA

View Full Version : Instrument #10

french guy
Jul-17-2006, 2:35pm
Look at the instrumrnt #10 I have just finish .
It's a mandola , 16" scale , sound is very pleasant (IMHO)
playability also very nice . For the first time I've tested tru-oil and it work well . only 4 coats on the alcohol based stain . I have never obtain finish like this in the others instruments built before .

french guy
Jul-17-2006, 2:37pm
other view

french guy
Jul-17-2006, 2:37pm
more again

french guy
Jul-17-2006, 2:38pm

french guy
Jul-17-2006, 2:40pm
again

french guy
Jul-17-2006, 2:41pm
again

french guy
Jul-17-2006, 2:42pm
the last

Tom C
Jul-17-2006, 2:43pm
Beautiful!

mandoman15
Jul-17-2006, 2:50pm
wow thats a sweet dola, i am very impressed with the violin side construction and the purfling (sp) around the strapbutton, very classy. i like the finish and the soundholes. overall very impressive. nice wood, i thinnk i'm on free association.

Brad Weiss
Jul-17-2006, 4:22pm
You are doing some really innovative stuff! Comme c'est chouette!

How do they sound?? Bien fait.

Skip Kelley
Jul-17-2006, 4:56pm
Jean, your work is awesome as always!

WoodyMcKenzie
Jul-18-2006, 6:52am
Tastefully done, Jean!! I would like to see you take this model one step further and finish one with a violin varnish. My own preference is to have no stain in the wood, but rather have the color in the varnish and have that color be clear. This way, the wood grain has more of a chance to change its appearance in different angles of light. The more it reminds a violinist of a violin, the more a violinist is likely to want to have one!

How do you like playing this mandola with the strap button sticking straight out of the neck joint? I am thinking about doing this with the mandolin I am working on now, but wonder if the button there sticks out too much...

I hope to have another mandolin jam up at the Clifftop festival in a couple of weeks. Are you sure you can't come back over and play Vodka Before Breakfast again?!?

Woody

french guy
Jul-18-2006, 1:53pm
Thanks everyone,
Hello Woody , nice to post here , sure I would like to jam
again at Clifftop with you , but you know that it's a long trip for .
About the strap button in the headblock , this place is a little bit fragile , but not so much . when you put the instrument on a table for example , the button don't touch the table because of the neck inversion . when you play it's not a problem at all and it's difficult to find a place with much discretion , you can just have trouble in a case .
have nice festivals and play "vodka ...".

Lefty&French
Jul-18-2006, 2:01pm
Une fois de plus,
Bravo Jean!

Steve Hinde
Jul-19-2006, 8:55pm
Nice Dola. Inspirational!!!

Steve