PDA

View Full Version : My new Old Time F-4

the_guitar_guru
Jul-14-2006, 2:54pm
Well here it is; my new Old Time F-4 3 Point built by Kevin Mathers; isn't she pretty? The pictures were taken quick a minute but I couldn't wait to post it.

http://thevulcanco.com/Images/Instruments/front.JPG

http://thevulcanco.com/Images/Instruments/back.JPG

She is well electrified via a phantom powered Crown Mini Mic in the soundhole and she has a Fishman Transducer Bridge. The signals run independant through a Baggs Buffer jack and into a Baggs MixPro; the folks at Elderly Instruments helped me with the design of the electronics system. The electrified sound is very true to her acoustic sound which I love. Thanks Raoul!!!

Not only did I get a great mandolin but I also made a friend in Kevin Mathers; he was great to work with because he took the time to listen to my needs and answer my questions and as a result he nailed what I was after. The sound has great bottom but it also cuts through. The action is really nice and reminds me a lot of the Collings Varnished model out at Elderly. The finish is Violin Varnish with a Nitro/Cel Laquer top coat. As you can see the back (and sides) have beautiful figure!!!

If it weren't for Scott and the Mandolin Cafe I never would have found Old Time Mandolins. I recommend that anyone with MAS (Mandolin Aquisition Syndrome) visit oldtimemandolin.com and place your order; you will never need another mandolin.

I will post better pictures and some recordings of her soon.

Mark Walker
Jul-14-2006, 3:43pm
That's a beauty, no doubt about it. I like that Orrico tailpiece too! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

johnsmusic
Jul-14-2006, 4:34pm
You will looooove it. I have the one just like it that is on the website that was Kevin's personal instrument. It plays effortless, looks awesome and is a cannon of a mandolin. I have kept it longer than any mandolin that I have ever owned. I was lucky that the same week that I made the deal I had a friend who was traveling to Rochester. Kevin picked him up at the airport delivered the mando, and took him to his hotel. How can you beat that for service!
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # John

B. T. Walker
Jul-14-2006, 5:09pm
Beautiful. That is one gorgeous mando. Enjoy.

the_guitar_guru
Jul-15-2006, 8:46am
It is definetly everyhing I had hoped for and then some. I had Kevin scoop the fingerboard extension since I tend to pic around that area. I sent Kevin the Orrico Taikpiece as well.

Steve Cantrell
Jul-15-2006, 9:04am
That's an awesome three-point. Just beautiful.

Stillpicking
Jul-15-2006, 10:12pm
I know Kevin and I highly recommend him to anyone who is thinking of having a mando custom built. Not only does he build fine mandolins but he is also a fine player. I have the pleasure of picking with him in Rochester NY mandolin orchestra. I don't own an Old Time F4 but I hope to someday.

yoods
Jul-16-2006, 7:43am
Beautiful mando, what is the price range for the F-4's?

the_guitar_guru
Jul-16-2006, 9:25am
Kevin has all of his prices on his website which is oldtimemandolin.com. He also makes a really nice Lyon Healy model as well as an A style and a few guitars. He is great to work with and ( highly recomend him.