PDA

View Full Version : Draleon Royal Jazz Mando

Mandozone
Jul-12-2006, 11:17pm
This is my first post, and I will say that I have learned alot by reading this board. #Through this board I learned about Steve Perry, of Gianna Violins. #I recently went to Knoxville, TN, to take my son to Freshman Orientation at U of Tennessee. #Steve's shop is only 40 minutes from there, and I needed two repairs on mandos. #Steve welcomed me and helped me right away. #His shop is like the juju doctor's lair, (his work area) and a wall full of beautiful Eastman Mandolins. #Also violins. And a cello he was working on.
I met Gianna and Steve's brother-in-law. #My only regret was that I couldn't stay awhile. I think we could have entered the mandozone. However, my wife and boy, not being players do not understand such things. #Anyway, as I was leaving, Steve plunked a very unusal mandolin in my hands. #It was the Draleon Jazz prototype. Very nice. #I only played it a minute and liked it. #Looks are beautful and the feel nice. #The tone was different, maybe like a blend of round hole and f hole. #I wouldn't have minded if he would have said: "Try this for a few days...". #But he didn't, so mumbling something like "I'd trade my snakehead right now, if I didn't have to sell it", I was on my way. #Thanks for your help Steve, and I'm sure those Jazz Mandos are only going to sound better.

JEStanek
Jul-13-2006, 7:58am
I'm hoping to learn more about the new Draleon mandos. Where are they made? They sure look nice and I like and respect Gordon and Steve. These definately have my eye... I'm awaiting a chance for one to have my ear (and ideally hands).

Jamie

Ted Eschliman
Jul-13-2006, 2:26pm
Had breakfast with Gordon and crew this morning before NAMM set up. Wasn't an appropriate place for me to do much strumming in the restaurant despite having one in my lap, but this really looks like a winner. Fit and finish are amazing; looking forward to more playing time at the booth. Pictures and full NAMM report to follow this weekend...

Stephen Perry
Jul-13-2006, 9:53pm
I angled back the bridge a bit, fitted bone nut & Husky walrus top to the bridge. Very nice. Everyone is having fun playing it. Fun machine!

MandoGordon
Jul-13-2006, 10:27pm
Lovely to see Ted this morning at breakfast. I could tell he really wanted to let the mando rip right there in the restaurant but of course he's too polite to bother our fellow diners. I'm going to start a mandotasting tour as soon as we get the next shipment of instruments, perhaps if you begged enough Jamie we could let you try it out first. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

The mandolins and guitars are made in our own workshop in Beijing by some of the best luthiers working today in China. Everything is completely hand made even the tailpiece which is painstakingly cut out with a jewelers saw. We are striving to make these mandolins take your breath away the moment you see them and I think we might be succeeding. Several people dropped by the booth today to try out the guitars and they seemed pretty satisfied with them. The show starts for real tomorrow so I guess we will find out then what the great buying public thinks. If you are at the show we are in booth 2720 and would love to have you drop by to give the royale a whirl(if you can pry it out of Ted's hands).
Gordon

Stephen Perry
Jul-14-2006, 7:32am
I'd like to have folks try the one I have. Anyone close to east TN?

cooper4205
Jul-14-2006, 10:05am
johnson city here, but my parents live in kingston and i'll be headed down there in a week or two. where are you at in friendsville? on the maryville/alcoa side or the lenior city side?

Stephen Perry
Jul-14-2006, 10:21am
Lenoir City side. maps.google.com gets close. At Mac's Dock/PJ's landing on Unitia Road, in the old general store

cooper4205
Jul-14-2006, 10:33am
gotcha, i know where you're talking about. i've been wanting to get stop by there anyway and check on the mandovoodoo.

halfamind
Jul-14-2006, 1:35pm
Gordon. my fingertips are itchin' and twitchin'! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif