PDA

View Full Version : New Breedlove design.

John Hill
Jul-12-2006, 6:44pm
Here is what the Mandolin Store shows as a new Breedlove Quartz F due in September. Any other sightings?

http://www.themandolinstore.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=7422

John

otterly2k
Jul-12-2006, 7:49pm
whoa!
Very interesting, original look. I know that the Breedlove aesthetics are not everyone's cup of tea... but I really appreciate their ongoing willingness to push the envelope and put out original designs. I like it. It'll be cool to hear the reviews as this hits the market.

Jul-12-2006, 8:33pm
It's that high desert air out there that causes this I'm sure.

I'm an ex-patriated Oregonian.

RichM
Jul-12-2006, 8:53pm
Very, very nice! I would love to hear one. The price seems very fair, as well.

jim simpson
Jul-12-2006, 9:02pm
It's hard to tell whether the scroll area is an open scroll like the Monteleone Radio Flyer/Kentucky Dawg style or trad as it looks like a shadow in the photo. I like it so far.

John Hill
Jul-13-2006, 5:35am
The scroll kinda reminds me of that Giacomel Grisman had at the symposium.

TeleMark
Jul-13-2006, 6:26pm
Wonder if it will have a traditional F headstock, or the Breedlove sharkfin?

Anyway, I like it so far!

steve V. johnson
Jul-13-2006, 9:30pm
I wonder if there will be an A-model (ok... an "O" model) redesign, too?

I like this one, so far.

stv

PCypert
Jul-17-2006, 8:21am
If it has some sort of traditional (ish) f style headstock I'm in. If it's a "shark fin" count me out. If that were the case I think the cascade fits the look well for that headstock. I'd be stoked if it is is more F like headstock as I love playing breedloves...so easy on the hands...

Paul

JEStanek
Jul-17-2006, 8:55am
See the first image in Scott T's NAMM thread here. (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=12;t=36250;st=0) It looks pretty cool. The photo has two color options.

Jamie

steve V. johnson
Jul-17-2006, 10:05am
So... they took the blunt thing that -was- where the scroll is now, and they moved it to the headstock! That's interesting...
and kinda funny, too.

I like the black tailpiece on the one on the right, too.

stv

otterly2k
Jul-17-2006, 10:17am
I have to say that I like the body design, but am not crazy about the headstock... but then I feel that way about most F's.

TeleMark
Jul-17-2006, 11:12am
Oooh... I may have just found my new Mando. I hope they extend this design to other than the Quartz line... I have a quartz KF that I really like, but I think I'd like some "higher end" options for woods, tuners, etc...

I'm not big on their sunburst, but that tailpiece on the SB does look intriguing.

Onesound
Jul-19-2006, 7:50pm
It's interesting to see how tastes differ. Personally, I don't care for it at all; the "scroll" has an ackward sweep and the headstock doesn't seem to go with the scroll design. I think a successful design carefully integrates the individual parts artistically, with a cohesive stylistic theme, while maintaining functionallity. But, as they say, that's what makes the world go around.

DryBones
Jul-19-2006, 8:24pm
I'm not sure that scroll would have a good grip on a strap. I would hate to see a strap come loose and have the mando hit the deck. I am sure it works fine but I think I would prefer a more traditional scroll.

Scott Tichenor
Jul-19-2006, 8:36pm
There's a lot more to this model than the design. Like, well... the tone and playability. But that'd be giving it away, so my 15 minutes spent in the corner of the arena will remain where I left it.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

mandobsessed
Jul-19-2006, 9:19pm
I have always been a fan of the breedlove look. I like the fact that they are stretching the envelope and not just another Gibson look alike. You'd probably get funny looks at a bluegrass jam though..

John Hill
Jul-20-2006, 6:05am
Steilberg String Instruments here in Louisville tells me they may have one of the first new Quartz F models for sale so hopefully I'll be able to get an up close review! Would really like to see an oval hole.

JOhn

VictorLouis
Jul-20-2006, 1:20pm
I just spoke with them about finish care, but I made sure to inquire about the new one. They will be continuing the a-body O-series, and the K-series as they are now. The new F is to be an entirely new breed.(Pun courtesy of the nice lady at Breedlove.) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

otterly2k
Jul-20-2006, 1:21pm
Do you know if the new breed will come in both f-hole (or whatever that new shape is to be called) and oval?

JEStanek
Jul-21-2006, 2:02pm
I e-mailed Breedlove and the response I got from Lysa is f-holes only at this time.

Jamie

otterly2k
Jul-21-2006, 3:56pm
Bummer... thanks for checking and reporting back, Jamie.

steve V. johnson
Jul-22-2006, 6:37pm
MNJohn sez, "Steilberg String Instruments here in Louisville tells me they may have one of the first new Quartz F models for sale so hopefully I'll be able to get an up close review! Would really like to see an oval hole."

I'd like to see an oval hole model, too, but...

Did you get any hint of the price, if it will change with this new model from the previous Quartz price range?

Thx,

stv

John Hill
Jul-23-2006, 3:18am
The Mandolin Store ad has a price listed on it so I would guess that's what we can expect.

John