PDA

View Full Version : Campanella two-point, new model

joec
Jul-12-2006, 12:41pm
I've been cranking away on some orders, but found the time (finally) to design and complete a 2-point in my violin style. #This model really lends itself to the violin corners, purfling and overhang. #I've also continued to develop the overall approach in terms of arching and other stylistic features. #I'm waiting on some engraved James tailpieces, so I had to sub a plain one for now. #I'm off to Grey Fox tomorrow and will have the Due (italian for 2) in tow. #I'm not exhibiting but will be picking here and there. #Look for a red and white VW bus! #I'll post some more pics when the tailpieces arrive and I string up the matching F model.

Joe C.
Campanella Stringed Instruments (http://campanellastrings.com)

joec
Jul-12-2006, 12:42pm
another...

joec
Jul-12-2006, 12:44pm
detail...

JEStanek
Jul-12-2006, 12:46pm
Looks great. I like the unbound headstock and ebony tuner buttons.

Jamie

joec
Jul-12-2006, 12:56pm
back

grandmainger
Jul-12-2006, 12:58pm
Lovely! This honey finish is yummy, and the violin-style edge is nice too! Cool headstcok notch as well... Very nice and original, well done!
Germain

joec
Jul-12-2006, 1:11pm
HS detail: Little Bell, "keyhole" and chamfered edge, Waverleys of course

joec
Jul-12-2006, 1:13pm
Rib detail:

joec
Jul-12-2006, 1:18pm
Corner detail...Last one for now...

Doug Edwards
Jul-12-2006, 1:19pm
Very nice, love the color.

jasona
Jul-12-2006, 1:55pm
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

Love it!

otterly2k
Jul-12-2006, 2:06pm
Wow, that is really elegant... I love the two-point design. Very classy/classic.

usqebach
Jul-12-2006, 2:07pm
Joe,

WOW! #The fiddler in me looks at that and says, "Why aren't they all made like that?" #I also think those are the first ff holes I've seen on a mandolin that I liked. (with apologies to all other builders and players)

Are there any disadvantages to the violin style of construction (overhang vs binding)? #Are there any advantages? #I would think the neck joint would have to be stronger to accommodate all that string tension. #Is there any loss of sound with the (apparently) smaller ff holes?

Can you direct me to any sound clips?

Anyway, what beautiful work! #I also love the F model on your website.

kyblue
Jul-12-2006, 2:33pm
Awesome!

picksnbits
Jul-12-2006, 2:39pm
Looks awesome!! Kinda begs for a solid maple bridge, though.

That's one of those things that just seems so right, you kinda wonder why everybody else isn't doing it that way.

Has a master violin maker ever made a mando like this before?

Ship that thing down to Tennessee and I'll be glad to make the sound clips usqebach requested. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

keithd
Jul-12-2006, 2:40pm
I agree usqebach, it's really splendid looking, and the way Mr. Cleary does it makes it look inevitable and natural on the mandolin. Also, as he points out, this two-point design is a more convincing translation of violin rim construction to a mandolin (look at the photos of his F and A - w/out point s- on his website). Asthetics aside, one advantage of this type of overhangin joint in violins (so I've read - probably here...) is to facilitate removing the top (or back...) to tinker with it. It seems like a reasonable goal for a mandolin as well, if you think of it as being played for hundreds of years especially. I'd also love to hear this one!

As for f-holes, these Martin 2 series f-holes look closer to traditional violin f-holes to me (not that that's better though...):

Skip Kelley
Jul-12-2006, 4:31pm
Awesome! That is one cool looking mandolin!

wannabethile
Jul-12-2006, 4:47pm
oh my goodness. i have found my new dream mandolin....

MML
Jul-12-2006, 5:20pm
Beautiful work Joe, its overall design is very pleasing to the eyes and ears I'm sure. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mandopete
Jul-12-2006, 6:35pm
Yeah, I'm surprised we haven't seen more attempts at a "fiddle-style" mandolin. I think I saw one by French Guy awhile back.

This one is stunning!

mandroid
Jul-12-2006, 7:39pm
I finished my James tailpiece off with a piece of ebony on the lid.
It would look right on that instrument too.
I like it a lot better than gold plated cover #, since its a defacto armrest,
and plating goes away, #with user contact.

better yet, like that #"#35" Brian Dean made a very violinish ebony # tailpiece, #end cord around the pin and all..
# pictured nearby, #that would be ultra sweet #addition to the look..

B. T. Walker
Jul-12-2006, 9:34pm
I really like two-points, and this one is fantastic. Love the violin-style construction. Wow.

metalmandolin
Jul-12-2006, 9:59pm
Stunning!!! What a cool idea...how does it sound?

Brad Weiss
Jul-12-2006, 10:07pm
Hoo boy those anthro majors sure can whip up a helluva a mandolin! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Just beautiful, Joe! Congrats.

joec
Jul-12-2006, 11:01pm
Hey folks,
Thanks for all of the comments and encouragement. #
My website has been pretty static for a year or so, but I'm planning on updating it soon with new pictures and some sound clips too (thanks for the suggestion). #I've been thinking I should get back to blogging as well (the notes link from the site). #
Re: the violin elements on these instruments, they are almost closer to the violin in terms of structure and design than the mandolin. #Neck joint? #It's a straight mortoise of perfectly planed surfaces fitted with chalk and glued with fresh hide glue like the rest of the joints. I have complete faith in its stability. #
I talk regularly with my mentor Lawrence Smart and compadre Fletcher Brock about these things and recently I've realized that we're almost discussing two different instruments (a sub-species, Brad?). Its a different approach, but the ultimate goal is clearly the sound, and for me, that is the entire question. #What is the music that these instruments are capable of producing? #In many ways, it's up to the player of course. #I find an inherent musicality in the violin design that results in a very responsive, lightweight yet rigid instrument that responds with full tone to a light touch but can get loud as hell...like a violin. #I won't try to describe it much more than that, and promise to get working on some sound samples so y'all can hear it yourselves. #I'm also planning on attending IBMA and CMSA this year with this mando and a couple of F's.
Thanks for sharing in my excitement for these instruments.
I'm off to Grey Fox in the morning to introduce my 16 month old daughter to the joys of field pickin'.
peace,
Joe C.

french guy
Jul-13-2006, 4:27am
Joseph, your work is extremely innovative , it's so classy .
I'm in the process of finishing a mandola 16' scale the same way of a mandolin I've build 2 years ago , but I don't arrive at the degre of perfection you are .

BradB
Jul-13-2006, 8:40am
Hey folks,
Thanks for all of the comments and encouragement. #
My website has been pretty static for a year or so, but I'm planning on updating it soon with new pictures and some sound clips too (thanks for the suggestion). #I've been thinking I should get back to blogging as well (the notes link from the site). #
Re: the violin elements on these instruments, they are almost closer to the violin in terms of structure and design than the mandolin. #Neck joint? #It's a straight mortoise of perfectly planed surfaces fitted with chalk and glued with fresh hide glue like the rest of the joints. I have complete faith in its stability. #
I talk regularly with my mentor Lawrence Smart and compadre Fletcher Brock about these things and recently I've realized that we're almost discussing two different instruments (a sub-species, Brad?). Its a different approach, but the ultimate goal is clearly the sound, and for me, that is the entire question. #What is the music that these instruments are capable of producing? #In many ways, it's up to the player of course. #I find an inherent musicality in the violin design that results in a very responsive, lightweight yet rigid instrument that responds with full tone to a light touch but can get loud as hell...like a violin. #I won't try to describe it much more than that, and promise to get working on some sound samples so y'all can hear it yourselves. #I'm also planning on attending IBMA and CMSA this year with this mando and a couple of F's.
Thanks for sharing in my excitement for these instruments.
I'm off to Grey Fox in the morning to introduce my 16 month old daughter to the joys of field pickin'.
peace,
Joe C.
Wow, if you can indeed build a mando with a significantly greater dynamic range then I think it may be the most significant improvement in mando design/construction since Loar's time.

Mark Walker
Jul-13-2006, 9:04am
Joe - VERY elegant and VERY classy. #Not only does it look wonderful, it even looks like it sounds wonderful!

The first thing that caught my eye was the fact it looks very similar to the finish on my violin - a pre-1900 Sears & Roebuck model! (below)

(I should mention that's not the original finish on my fiddle. I had Buddy Ratcliff - the father of mandolin builder Ken Ratcliff - re-graduate the top and re-finish the entire instrument a few years back.) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Keep up the great work!

Steve Davis
Jul-13-2006, 9:21am
I want one. It's beautiful. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

amowry
Jul-14-2006, 10:00am
Looks fantastic, Joe. I'm a big fan.

billhay4
Jul-18-2006, 9:45am
those of you interested in the violin style construction of this instrument should look at the post titled "Instrument #10" now on this board.
Bill

Jim Garber
Jul-19-2006, 1:47pm
I'm off to Grey Fox tomorrow and will have the Due (italian for 2) in tow. I'm not exhibiting but will be picking here and there. Look for a red and white VW bus!
So, did anyone who went to Grey Fox try this mandolin? Any reports?

Jim

TrippingLily
Jul-20-2006, 9:54am
I would have to say that both my brother and I were completely floored by this instrument. Good work my friend, you are so there........

Ken
Jul-20-2006, 6:21pm
I'm jumping in late here, but I just have to add my .02, that is a beautiful mandolin. I'm not a big fan of most two-points (no disrespect to Jethro) but it really, really works with the violin style construction.
Ken

Jim Garber
Jul-20-2006, 10:44pm
Been thinking of this one a bunch. I wondered how it would look with an oval hole with an extended fretboard...

Jim

otterly2k
Jul-21-2006, 12:26pm
ooooooooo......
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif