PDA

View Full Version : accoustic amp help

maynard g. krebs
Jul-11-2006, 11:52am
i'm looking to buy a small amp for my mid mo with built in piezo pick-up. i've tried a preamp&pa combo and a fender accoustisonic. looking for something small and portable with basic effects and built in preamp

any comments and sugestions are appreciated....let 'em rip!

thanks

Jul-11-2006, 12:26pm
Look at a Roland Micro-Cube. It probably has most of what you're looking for.

Musicians Friend (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Micro-Cube-Battery-Powered-Amp-with-COSM-and-Effects?sku=480196)

mandroid
Jul-11-2006, 3:28pm
Roland AC 60 has a switch on one channel mag/piezo, 2nd channel Mic/line option .& 48v phantom on/off
reverb, chorus ..it is stereo.. and a feedback supression feature.
bigger than the micro cube, power A\C only.

wish it were made to runnoff all ac voltages 90 to 250v 50/60 Hz..
divides the world up into separate Markets..

WJF
Jul-11-2006, 4:39pm
Another vote for the Rolan AC60. I own own and have been very, very happy with it!

bjc
Jul-11-2006, 9:51pm
A third for the AC60...cool gig bag, light, good sound, all the outputs you would need and the cost is nice....

jim_n_virginia
Jul-15-2006, 1:01am
for small coffee house gigs and stuff like that I have a 50 watt Marshall ASR50 and I like it a lot.

2 channels, reverb, light and compact ... all I need in a small acoustic amp

Yellowmandolin
Jul-15-2006, 6:58pm
I give a big thumbs up to the Roland AC 60 too. For being so small, I was really impressed with it's tone and volume. I did not get one however after trying the Genz Benz Shenadoah 100. The GB is NOT a small amp, so it may not be what you are looking for. I also tried the Marshall that Jim mentioned. It was very easy to get a good sound out of that, but I felt that the Roland was a little better. I don't really know much about hooking up either the Roland or the Marshall to a PA but I would imagine that they would both have direct outs if you needed that. I would just play around at your local shop or drive to a GC or Sam Ash to A/B them. Good luck!

Mike Bunting
Jul-15-2006, 7:38pm
I'm using an AER Compact 60 and it is the most natural sounding amp I've ever found. Two channels, one with a combo kind of input that will take a mic connection as well as a guitar plug, this channel also has phantom power. I can run my AKG C411 through it w/o any modifications. It has a line out as well as a DI out so I'm in the house mix and the monitors and I have my personal monitor. The amp is 60 watts and about a foot cubed in size. It has made life a lot easier.

i

steve in tampa
Jul-16-2006, 3:36pm
Roland AC-60.

mandowilli
Jul-16-2006, 5:43pm
Steve, are you using it onstage? I am thinking about going that route to get my mando sound ontage behind me and out of the monitors. Does it have a line out?

mandroid
Jul-17-2006, 11:41am
block diagram: AC 60 has 4 different line outs : 2 XLR [R/L], 1 -1/4" mono out, (ts)
post channel Vol and tone , pre master V, . .
and one 1/4"(ts) post master volume out that is designated to run a powered subwoofer.

and a balanced 1/4" (trs) that comes out ahead of everything - DI/tuner..
And a pair of rca inputs for running a CD player too.

a speaker stand 'top hat' pole socket is in the bottom too..1.5"

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

steve in tampa
Jul-17-2006, 3:26pm
Willi!

I have been shopping them for over a year trying out the Fenders etc. Pulled the trigger on a Bose PAS instead. I will be getting an AC-60 soon for my wife for her solo gigs. She has a brthday coming up. The AC-60 can also be used as a sub mixer/monitor.

See if you can find one in a store, and try it out. The sound that comes out of that little box is amazing, and no need for a bunch of pedals/processers to go in to it.

Just got the best mando sound ever from a pickup,(Weber Fern w/ McIntyre ) using a Fishman Platinum Pro Eq Bass in to the Bose. Natural sounding and no piezo click.

maddog
Mar-12-2007, 3:03pm
hey steve in tampa, I`ve been interested in the bose for a while. However when I tried it out at a local guitar center I couldn`t get a good tone.Unfortunately the salesguy had no idea how to operate the bose. I`m wondering what presets you use. Do you use a preamp? My f5 has an internal K&K pickup which sounds pretty good just thru my guitar amp. Also, can you get adequate volume through the bose. I`m playing with a dixieland band and have to "compete" volumewise with a couple of trumpets,sax trombone etc. Mark

seano
Mar-12-2007, 3:59pm
If your running through a PA I highly recommend the Acoustic Image "Clarus". I too use a piezo and it is the best sounding amp I've used. No need for a preamp. It is the size of a cigar box w/ a nice padded soft shell case w/ sholder strap. Go to their web sight to learn more, lots of nice features.The only negative is that if you dont go through a PA you'll need a speaker cabint to be heard...