PDA

View Full Version : Setup in NC

jamman
Jan-28-2004, 5:54pm
I want to take my curvy one in for a tune-up, but don't know who to take her to. I live in Greensboro, but would travel a fair distance if I could find a quality setup guy.

Snuffy Smith who lives in King has been mentioned, but last I heard he was having health problems. Hope he's recharged and back in the shop, but if not who else is close by?

racuda
Jan-28-2004, 7:17pm
Harold Criscoe in Seagrove has a good reputation. Walking into his shop is like walking into the past. Instruments are in every nook and cranny.

The only heat is a wood stove with a pot of water on it for humidity. There is no AC in the summer. The only concession he has made to modern technology is that he switched from hide glue to titebond.

I know that there are those that would cringe at such conditions, but he is revered by the musicians around here.

I get the feeling that this is the way lutherie was practiced in the south 50 years ago.

If you are interested I will give you his phone number.

creekwater
Jan-28-2004, 7:37pm
jamman. Snuffy is back in buisness. He is a neighbor of mine, and only lives about 3 miles from me as the crow flies. He has my banjo that he has worked on. I'm getting it back next week. If you want give me a call, and I can show you, or tell you where he lives. If you have his number don't call before 12 noon, as he gets up as he calls it "the crack of noon". My number is 336-983-8124. Snuffie's number is 336-983-8300.

mandoman4807
Jan-28-2004, 10:44pm
I tried to get in touch with Snuffy in October to tweek my Gibson. He never returned any of my calls. Sure wish he could of worked his magic on it.

Darrell

straight-a
Jan-29-2004, 10:28am
I have known Harold for about 35 years. #He is an excellent repairman and builder. #He has had some health problems in recent years but is still in business. #However; if you do go to him, you would be best served to make an appointment and tell him what you want done and have him do it while you wait. #He is extremely busy but is more than willing to work you into his schedule if you are coming that far.

Bob Riguard of Stingworks in Greensboro is also good. He is an authorized Gibson repairman and trained luthier. He does a lot of work for Bobby Hicks. He builds guitars, resophonic guitars, psaltries, etc and does a lot of restorations.

The Gibson website lists all of their repairmen on their website.

jamman
Jan-29-2004, 1:05pm
Thanks Jeff!

I gave the gentleman a call and will probably run by there tomorrow.

creekwater
Jan-29-2004, 6:10pm
Jamman, glad to be of help. You will find I think Snuffy a unique person. He likes to talk somewhat of a good deal about his work on J.D. Crowe's banjo, and Sonny Osborne, and Tony Rice. As well he should be proud of the fact that he's good enough for those guys. But he does know what he's doing. I am planning on getting my banjo back next week. Good luck, Jeff.

levin4now
Jan-29-2004, 11:49pm
I had a similar question some time back but more for the eastern part of NC. One response came in regards to a luthier in Cary (name eludes me at the moment - jimini_pickit had work done there...).

However, sounds like you have good people to choose from near home.

straight-a
Feb-03-2004, 4:54am
Jamman, let us know how much improvement is made. I need to take mine for a couple of adjustments, as well.