PDA

View Full Version : Lyon & Healy Type C

nomando
Jul-09-2006, 9:26am
Hello,
i am new to the cafe and have just gotten this mandolin, so now I guess I should be onemando.
This is a Type C Lyon and Healy No. 65 is on the label it seems in fantastic condition and all original
what year would this be? I was told it is from the early '20s
are these real collectable and valuable?
I was told this is a classical mandolin
I am a guitar player and actualy got this in trade so I really know nothing about these at all
any help is greatly appreciated
thanks, jj

Clamdigger
Jul-09-2006, 10:41am
Nomando or one mando, is that the Lyon & Healy that was recently in the Cafe classifieds? Clamdiger

Jim Garber
Jul-09-2006, 12:06pm
Those are very fine instruments. There is some recent discussion about L&H instruments here (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=27;t=35888).

Jim

Django Fret
Jul-09-2006, 12:43pm
The Lyon and Healy C was the entry level mandolin in the series with the model B and A being more expensive ones with a different body and headstock shape. Even though it is not the top of the line, it can be a wonderful mandolin and they are still considered to be some of the best mandolins for playing classical and other non-bluegrass types of music.

As far as value, I have seen them go for as low as $1,200 and about as high as $1,900 depending on their condition and if they are being sold through a dealer or privately.

I think they are among the best of the teens and twenties mandolins, and your serial number probably places it in the teens, but there are others on the board that know more about them than I do.

You certainly did well with your first mandolin, and hope you enjoy it!

Bob A
Jul-09-2006, 7:09pm
All the L&H carved-top mandolins are excellent instruments. They may not be the thing for bluegrass, but certainly are fine for nearly anything else. The serial number indicates early production, with a longer scale than was later used: yours should approximate the scale length of Gibson instruments. As such, it makes for somewhat longer stretches than would be comfortable in playing the most difficult classical
stuff (so I'm told - that repertoire is out of my league) although there are lots of classical players who use instruments of that scale length.

So far as I'm aware, the sound and construction of the model C leaves nothing to be desired. The others are somewhat fancier in that they have points and/or scrolls, which add to the price but don't do anything for the sound and playability. You have an excellent instrument. In my opinion, these L&H instruments are the ideal compromise in mandolin making: they have a wonderful treble, which Gibsons lack, while providing a better bass response than is possible from a bowlback. If I gad to have only one mandolin (which God forbid!) a L&H would be the one I'd have to choose.

8ch(pl)
Jul-10-2006, 4:54pm
Lucky you.