PDA

View Full Version : My new Newell mandolin

clarksavage
Jul-07-2006, 9:11am
I bought a flattop mandolin from Keith Newell just a little while back and have been playing it for the last 2 weeks. It's his number 24. You may have seen a photo of it on his website or over in the classifieds (where I found it!) It has very good looks, the maple of the back and sides show interesting patterns that are art in and of themselvs, and the neck has a different perspective on the same maple. Very cool (but looks isn't really what I'm after.) I already own a 26 Gibson A4 and a Weber Aspen I (that I dearly love!) The A4 holds up the bottom, it has the cool "tubby" sound and plays like butter, while the Aspen has a "sweet, ringing" tone and plays a little harder, but is better for all around playing (hard if needed!) I'm really happy with these but having played some upscale Collings, Breedlove and Webers, I heard a fuller, more balanced tone out there and wanted to have something like that. Keith explained that this mandolin had such a tone and I purchased it from him.

He obviously hears something like I do. Although I now firmly believe all sound is subjective, I believe Keith sold me exactly what I was looking for. This little flattop is really "balanced" (above all) but does NOT sacrifice any lows or highs, it can do what either of my other mandolins can do. It does this for a lot lower price than I was prepared to pay for the other instruments, and having now made a few direct comparisons, it does so very well. I have not compromised. I think I'm lucky now. Keith is a reasonable, friendly guy, too. Dealing with him (as a basic novice) was easy - he tolerated my novice questions with grace. I like that.

I am working on recording some old family tunes on a CD lately (a little family history for my siblings) and this mandolin records well. The overall balanced sound really shows up in recording.

If any of you drive up the Coast Highway (US 1) from LA to SF, stop by for coffee and pick some with me.

Keith Owen
Jul-07-2006, 9:39am
That is a very cool mandolin. I liked those flattops when I saw them on here.

Keith is building me an F now. It is a fun process.

Tim Saxton
Jul-07-2006, 1:50pm
Gotta love The Newell!!!!!

Eric F.
Jul-07-2006, 2:07pm
Yeah, I had to talk myself down after Keith posted those flat tops in the classifieds.

Keith Newell
Jul-08-2006, 12:02am
Aww thanks guys. It's almost more fun hearing about the new buyers experiences then building them (almost). Wait till you see the flat top varnish finished oval hole I have drying thats bound in ebony. I may want it for myself http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif but then again I've been known to say that alot.
On another note my website is down and am in process of a new web host provider (last one burned me bad) and now have to build a new site. So it will be up soon and I will ask Scott to link my info to the new site when its done.
Thanks all, Keith

sgsterne
Jul-08-2006, 10:26am
Keith-

You may want to try pair networks as a webhost - I have used pair since 1999; they are very reasonably priced and rock-solid reliable. Currently I have 2 sites hosted at pair networks,I use them for my email as well, and I have never had a problem of any kind. www.pair.com. No financial interest.

Steven