PDA

View Full Version : good bluegrass dvd

hambone
Jul-07-2006, 9:07am
whats a good bluegrass concert dvd to purchase. Ive been looking at the 3 pickers but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Jonas
Jul-07-2006, 9:10am
Ragin Live with Rhonda Vincent is good. Also Live with AKUS if you like them. I bet there are a lot of others that I don't know about too.

good_ol_al_61
Jul-07-2006, 5:52pm
I have a pretty good DVD collection.But you have the best one out there in the 3 pickers. I also vote for Ragin' Live and AKUS Live. I would rate them 1, 2 and 3 respectively. AKUS is the best production wise. Ragin' Live is the best energy. 3 Pickers is just the best of the best. All Star Bluegrass Celebration is pretty good (by PBS). A Bluegrass Journey is probably the most real life DVD as for the bluegrass crowd. Earl Scruggs Family and Friends was very disappointing content and production wise. Doyle Lawson's Treasures was also not very good especially the production. A good surprise was a good I call a documentary style DVD named Gather at the River. Has many outtakes that you'll never see again. Picture is a little low quality, but the content is golden.

Well, I hope I didn't muddy the water with my rambling and remember it is my opinion. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

J. Mark Lane
Jul-07-2006, 7:36pm
"High Lonesome" has some awesome footage. The Bill Monroe biography video is also great. The "instructional" dvd with Monroe and Hartford is priceless. Not necessarily all "concert" but great performances. There's some tremendous footage of Flatt & Scruggs in the strangest places, if you look around.

DryBones
Jul-07-2006, 8:10pm
for a change of pace try the Live at Telluride 30th anniversary DVD

good_ol_al_61
Jul-07-2006, 10:00pm
J. Mark:

I forgot about High Lonesome because I have it on VHS and not DVD. But you are on the "Mark". Great documentary style, again by PBS. I believe I read that the footage of Bill Monroe playing "Goin' Across the Sea" is the only recorded time he played that song ever. That alone is worth the price.

carleshicks
Jul-08-2006, 5:29am
Doc and Dawg my favorite.

JimRichter
Jul-08-2006, 7:17am
I can take or leave The Three Pickers. Gather at the River and High Lonesome (especially High Lonesome are essentials). The Jimmy Martin documentary is a must have. The AKUS DVD is boring except for the Jerry Douglas spotlight. The Ragin' Live DVD is quite good. For a blast to the newgrass past, the New Grass Revival with Leon Russell is quite good. I bought the soundtrack to that 25 years ago, but never had a chance to see video until it's rerelease a couple years ago. There is also Bill Monroe: The Father of Bluegrass which is a great little documentary on Bill Monroe. John Hartford does a lot of the interviewing of BIll.

There are alot of great performance DVDs out there--the Doyle Lawson one is such a one--not as many general documentary type bluegrass ones. The Jimmy Martin documentary and High Lonesome are highly recommended.

And no one's mentioned Bluegrass Journey. It's quite good as well, only I could take or leave the "hippie" focus of the people at Grey Fox (?). Not really representative of the "typical" bluegrass festival crowd (which is probably why they spotlighted them).

Jim

Cedartop
Jul-09-2006, 2:32pm
If you like gospel Bluegrass, I think the Gaither Gospel Bluegrass Homecoming DVD's are very good. If gospel is not your thing don't bother. I hate to disagree with Jason(a fellow lefty) but when I got the Telluride DVD all I could think of was what a waste of money I just made. That is partly my fault, if I had looked at the description closer I may have realized there was no Bluegrass involved.

lkb3rd
Jul-09-2006, 3:13pm
"The legends of Flatpicking guitar" has a lot of great footage of Doc, Tony Rice Unit, Norman Blake, Dan Crary. Better if you are a guitar player or in search of general bluegrass, but it has Sam Bush as part of the Tony Rice Unit.

adgefan
Jul-09-2006, 4:25pm
I recommend The Legend Lives On - A Tribute to Bill Monroe (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000B1OCH/104-1623819-8007153?v=glance&n=130). It features some great performances from a wide variety of bluegrass musicians. Favourite bits for me are Tim O'Brien performing Working on a Building solo on fiddle and Bryan Sutton's break on Get Up John.

Mikey G
Jul-09-2006, 4:42pm
Tony Rice:The Video Collection is a must have. The All Star Bluegrass Celebration recorded at the Ryman in 2002 is nice for the collection, also.