PDA

View Full Version : A Nice Pair!  (Redux)

mandopete
Apr-14-2004, 7:57pm
A couple of years ago I posted a picture under this heading of the two mandolins I owned at the time. #Since then MAS set in and I bought two more. #I think the real cause of MAS is the fact that no one mandolin can do it all (for me anyways).

With that being said I started to ponder the differences between these two instruments. #One day on an unusually #boring conference call, I made this list which is by no means scientific (but I thought you might get a kick out of it anyway.)

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # 2002 Collings # # # # # 2003 Fletcher Brock
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # MF5-R (#39) # # # # # # Oval Hole(#51)

Body Style………………… Florentine (F Style) # #Oval (A Style)
Sound Hole(s) …………… Double F-Shaped # # Single Oval-Shaped
Bracing …………………… Tone Bars # # # # # # # # # #X Braced
Fingerboard ……………… Flat # ## # # # # # # # # # # #Radius'ed
Fingerboard Extension..Yes # # # # # # # # # ## # # #No
Binding…………………… Body, Neck & Head # # # Body & Neck
Binding Stripe …………… In # # # # # # # # # # # # ## # # Out
Bridge …………………… No Gap # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #Air Gap
Tuners …………………… Gold Gotoh (Bad) # # # # ##Gold Unknown (Good)
Frets ……………………… Medium Width # # # # # # # Small Width
Neck Shape ……………… Pronounced “V” # # ## #Moderate “V”
Tailpiece………………… Collings 1-piece # # # ## # Unknown 1-piece
Color …………………… Brown Burst # # # # # # # # # Sunburst
Truss Rod ……………… Adjust at Nut # # # # # # # #Non Adjustable
Built In…………………… Texas # # # # # # # # # # # # # Washington
Cost ……………………… $$$ # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # $

Scotti Adams
Apr-14-2004, 8:07pm
..I really like the color of that Collings...Im gonna have to play one of those things one of these days...drop dead gorgeous...The FB is tasty also..

mandopete
Apr-14-2004, 8:23pm
Yeah, the Collings has a very "understated" sort of coloring. Wonder if they'll ever offer it in Aqua-Seafoam Green? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

neal
Apr-14-2004, 8:41pm
I find myself strangely drawn to your website, Pete. Again, and again.

mandopete
Apr-14-2004, 9:17pm
I find myself strangely drawn to your website, Pete. #Again, and again.
I guess that is because it's a strange website http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

Apr-14-2004, 9:35pm
The Collings, no matter if you love or hate them are just plain drop dead beautiful. I love the color and appointments

Walter Newton
Apr-14-2004, 9:52pm
Great picture. Sure looks like the Weber cast tailpiece on the A-style.

How about

Tone.............
Volume...........
Feel.............

& other "subjective" comparisons?

MEP
Apr-14-2004, 11:13pm
Mandopete: #The Collings has a radiused fingerboard instead of a flat one or at least mine does. #Also, according to the Collings website says it is radiused. #See the description that I copied below:

The Collings MF5 has a fully carved top and back and is crafted with a seasoned select spruce top and maple back and sides with tone bars. A radiused fingerboard extends to the 22nd fret with a graceful extension that compliments the headstock. Grained ivoroid binding surrounds the body, neck and headstock. Even the adjustable ebony bridge is custom made in our shop. Mother-of-pearl Collings logo and inlay adorn the headstock which is fitted with Gotoh tuners. The finish is high gloss lacquer with a classic sunburst.

I really love my Collings, it sounds much better after I did some set up on it. # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mandopete
Apr-14-2004, 11:19pm
Good questions, here is my response:

Tone - couldn't be more different. #The Collings has #a classic, "bell-like" tone that one would expect from an F-style. #I have played a number of Collings mandos and they are remarkably consistent. #The Brock was exactly what I wanted in a oval-hole. #Go down and play a G chord in the open position, man what a sound! #I have always liked the sound of those old Gibson A models, but this is much easier to play (12 frets clear of the neck) and easier to tune.

Volume - well the Collings has remarkable volume and is vey responsive, but one of the things I like most about he oval-hole is that it's like it's on 10 even when you play it softly. #My wife commented that she thought it was louder than the F and I feel it takes very little to get the most out of it. #The F style mandolin really needs to be hit pretty hard to get it to bark, but boy can it bark!

Feel - The Brock is very comfortable due to the radius fingerboard (I think it's a 14") and less pronounced "V" shaped neck. I also have the action set a bit lower (4/64) and I find this makes a perfect "sitting on the couch" playing mando. #The Collings was a special order with a flat fingerboard and I dont find it too dfficult to go between the two. #I am thinking about taking the finish off the back of the neck and smoothing it down a bit. # I have a Flatiron F-5 that also has a flat fingerboard and it is a bit easier to play due in part to a bit lower action and a more rounded neck profile.

I really feel these two instrumnents complement each other and I'm thinking of getting one of those double mandolin cases so I can start bringing both instruments to jams and such. #It's great to be able to cover a very broad spectrum of tone.

MEP
Apr-14-2004, 11:24pm
Mandopete: After reading your last post, I am the one who stands corrected about the fingerboard. I did not realize that you had special ordered yours. I just knew that their stock intruments were radiused. Sorry???

mandopete
Apr-14-2004, 11:30pm
Mandopete: #The Collings has a radiused fingerboard instead of a flat one or at least mine does. #

The Collings MF5......fitted with Gotoh tuners.

I really love my Collings, it sounds much better after I did some set up on it.
This was a custom order from Collings. #The original buyer bailed out when he found a Lloyd Loar and I bought it from Mass Street Music.

Those Gotoh tuners are absolutely terrible!!! #They slip and I even had one of the knobs come loose. #Why on earth would Collings charge top dollar for an instument only to put crummy tuning machines on it - go figure!

What did you do in the way of set-up?

MEP
Apr-14-2004, 11:52pm
I bought my Collings MF5 from Maverick and when I got it the action was extremely low. #The instrument played very fast but it didn't have a bark to the chop. #I raised the action and put on a new set of J74's. #It still plays very fast but has more volume and punch with the raised action. #

Jim Baggett at Mass Street Music helped me in the setting up and we compared it to a couple other Collings (an A and another MF5). #It is amazing the consistency that Collings is able to produce.:D

mandopete
Apr-15-2004, 10:17am
What is the action set to? #The action on mine was a bit on the low side when I got it and I noticed a few buzzes. #Moved it all the way up to 7/64, which is pretty high. I've since moved it down to right about 4/64, but seems to be about as low as it can go.

Have you experienced any problems with the Gotoh (must stand for go to h*ll) tuners?

MEP
Apr-16-2004, 12:22am
Mandopete: I'm guessing that mine is around 5/64ths (I can't find my gauge). We changed it more on sound and visual rather than actually using a gauge.

I have not had any major problems with tuners slipping.

Apr-16-2004, 8:02am
4/64" = 2/32" = 1/16"................What in the heck do you folks measure with?

"We changed it more on sound and visual rather than actually using a gauge."

Finally, someone that just sets it "where it works for them"..........!

BenE
Apr-16-2004, 8:48am
4/64" = 2/32" = 1/16"................What in the heck do you folks measure with?

A pocket comb of course! Is there anything else? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Dale, It sounds to me like your getting old and the eyes are going. I'm sure one of your sons would help you out by reading those hash marks for ya! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

mandopete
Apr-16-2004, 10:00am
I always make measurements of the action in 64ths of an inch as that is the smallest scale on my gauge. I used to just do it by "feel", but why not get an accurate measurement? Using a scale of 16ths of an inch would not be very accurate, especially when you consider the miniscule amount you move the action to get a change in playability.